5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's exactly why I was thinking replacing the 8 ohm in dash and 2 ohm in door with. 4 ohm in each . Would net close to the same overall resistance seen by the head unit. I believe stock is about 1.6 ohm overall and with changing both door and dash to a 4 ohm it would net 2 ohm seen by head unit. Wondering if anything has done this and if it sounds good?
The dash will sound nice but you'll lose a lot of mids and lows from the door. Definitely not an easy system to work with. Hopefully the aftermarket will have more 8 ohm 3.5" in the future

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly why I was thinking replacing the 8 ohm in dash and 2 ohm in door with. 4 ohm in each . Would net close to the same overall resistance seen by the head unit. I believe stock is about 1.6 ohm overall and with changing both door and dash to a 4 ohm it would net 2 ohm seen by head unit. Wondering if anything has done this and if it sounds good?
Don’t let the low ohms fool you. While it’s ‘only’ .6 ohms that’s nearly a 25% change in resistance/impedance seen by the head unit.

Would you notice a 25% change in horsepower?

Plus you’re going from a 20%/80% split to a 50%/50% split in power up front which also makes a difference.

Many have made speaker swaps in many impedance combinations. Many have been happy and some have not. Music quality is incredibly subjective so is hard to decide until you listen for yourself. For me, I just happened to figure it out on my first try.

Last edited:

OC.13

Reaction score
Don’t let the low ohms fool you. While it’s ‘only’ .6 ohms that’s nearly a 25% change in resistance/impedance seenby the head unit.

Would you notice a 25% change in horsepower?

Plus you’re going from a 20%/80% split to a 50%/50% split in power up front which also makes a difference.

Many have made speaker swaps in many impedance combinations. Many have been happy and some have not. Music quality is incredibly subjective so is hard to decide until you listen for yourself. For me, I just happened to figure it out on my first try.
Good point had not looked at it that way. Thanks for the input.

tbone6060

Reaction score
Finally installed my speakers yesterday. I went with the faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm units.

Disclaimer: The following is merely my experience and opinion regarding my speaker replacement. My personal tastes, desires, and budget may not be in line with yours. I take everything with a grain of salt and I hope you do too as everything that follows is almost completely subjective. YMMV.

They are considerably brighter than the OEM ones without being tinny. The clarity is much better too, although I'm sure that would be with just about anything aftermarket you drop in there.

I've been messing with the EQ settings to dial things in and I'm about 80% there and already happy with my decision. They have much more of a presence that the OEM ones and I've had to go back to the drawing board for sound settings. Even with only 3 settings in the EQ it doesn't take much to make a change in the overall sound in the cab so it will take some time to dial in. I'm trying to find a good overall setting to play all of my music. I'd figure out settings for each type I listen to but I don't have any EQ memory settings and my days of geeking out and making a settings chart are long behind me. I just want to play whatever floats my boat that day and have it sound good.

I kept the same balance (8 ohm speakers) with the door speakers as I am not interested in replacing my door speakers so wanted to keep things as stock-ish as possible. I was concerned that a 4 ohm speaker would further accentuate the imbalance forcing me to keep the treble setting low so I wouldn't lose the mid-bass in the front doors. That's pure conjecture on my part but a concern I had none-the-less.

My install went as most other have posted but ran into my own issues as is customary with just about anything I do. I am incredibly OCD about things (especially vehicles) so I had to make some adjustments to install things to my standards.

I will not post many pictures as the dash speakers have been discussed ad nauseam.

The grills are in there tight and I thought I was going to break the tabs when removing them. I didn't but I came close as the passenger's side seems to be wedged under the pillar trim a little more than the driver's side. I was able to work at it to get the grill out but the corner tab was not at a natural angle when it came out. It's still there but I can see the discoloration at the base of the tab (at the grill) where the plastic is weakened.

The stock speaker. It is indeed an 8 ohm speaker. I don't think there's a crossover built into the audio unit (like the amplified Alpine and HK) as there is a high pass filter (capacitor) attached to it:

View attachment 68028

The new speaker:

View attachment 68029

To select the mounts I was going to use I inspected the dash openings to determine which direction would have the best open area for the connection tabs on the faital PROs. I lined up the speakers so that the driver's side speaker tabs were facing inward (towards the center of the dash) and the passenger's side speaker tabs were facing forward (towards the hood). Luckily there's ample room in the pocket for the bass blockers and wiring but I wanted to make sure the tabs would be clear of interference when I installed the speakers (I said I was OCD).

Where most have only removed 1 of the unused mounts I removed both of the ones I did not use so that it was an even and flat fit. This also allowed the foam gasket (vibration insulation) to maximize contact. The two opposing mounts that I used on the speaker needed to be modified as they are a little shorter than the distance between the zip nuts. Others have tapped new holes in the plastic and not modified the mounts but I opted to use the OEM locations with the limited working space and my sausage fingers.

To do that I used my rotary tool and cutting wheel (some have used tin snips). I cut off the two mounts I wasn't going to use then opened up the two mounts I used. I cut the loop piece out of the end so that it was forked and ground down the raised lip for about 1/2 of the mount so that the screw would make full contact with the mount (did I mention I was OCD?).

I used the Metra 72-7902 connectors to make life easier...I thought. Turns out that they are wired backwards (out of phase). I'm not sure if they are all this way or if I'm in the minority but check your Metra connector to see how the wires line up. The white wire is (+) and the black wire is (-). The OEM connector has a different tracer for each speaker location but the main colors for all speaker connectors are violet (+) and yellow (-):

View attachment 68031

Doing a test fit (I lined up the connectors but did not press them into place) I found out that the Metra connectors are wired backwards (out of phase). I called Crutchfield and their recommendation was to cut the connectors off and put new ones on (larger connector on black wire and smaller connector on white wire). While this solves the issue you will have to remember that the colors are now opposite. Not acceptable for my OCD.

I had 3 options:

1. Not use the connector, clip the factory connector, put the spade connectors on the OEM wires, and connect the bass blockers/speakers.
2. Clip the connectors on the Metra wires and put new ones on.
3. Figure out how to swap the pins in the Metra connector.

There was only option that I deemed acceptable. I decided to figure out how to remove the pins and swap sides. As I discovered it is not as simple as it seems. I will spare the tedious experimentation and slew of expletives and skip to the process. On the back of the connector there is a little lock/flap that has two very small (and easily damaged) tabs and loops. I used a very small (electronic) flat blade screwdriver to pry those loops slightly out. Then I put a pick tool between the wires in the back of the plug and popped the tab up:

View attachment 68037

Then I used the pick tool in the pin side and gently pushed it along the pin on the 'top' of the pin (picture above shows the plug in the 'up' position). Applying a little pressure with the pick tool and gently pulling on the wire I was able to ease the pin out of the back of the connector with moderate effort. I'm not sure how it's held in there but it's not the traditional locking tab you see in many other types of plugs (like Molex connectors). Once you have both pins out swap sides (if you forget which side is which compare it to your truck connector so that the white wire lines up with the violet wire and the black wire lines up with the yellow wire). Make sure the pins are fully re-seated in the connector and close the locking tab and make sure it latches in the loops so it doesn't come open.

Next is the bass blockers. As others have said the spade tabs fit nicely into the Metra connectors. The plastic covers for the connectors should be touching (or very close) when they are fully seated. Like DrDrew, I was not impressed with the connectors. Mine seemed to be done at different pressures. Two seemed to be just enough for the crimp and the others seemed like there was way too much pressure used (one of the insulators was cracked). I wasn't going to see them and they would not be subjected to weather buried in the dash so it was not worth trying to get replacements and wait longer to install my speakers (convenience overrode OCD in this rare case).

I connected the white and black wires to the speaker. I used some due diligence so that I did not break the tabs on the speaker. The red dot over the larger tab is the (+) tab. The white wire (with the bass blocker installed in-line) is the (+) wire and had the larger tab so it's fairly idiot-proof (bass blocker should be installed on the (+) wire). I plugged the Metra connector into the truck plug and fed the wires down into the dash pockets. Luckily the pockets have plenty of room as the Crutchfield bass blockers add 7" or so if wiring. I centered the speakers over the mounts, snugged down the screws, and fired up the audio. Once I confirmed that both speakers were working I popped the grills back in and put my tools away.

What I thought was going to be an hour ended up being about four to get it done. My efforts, as usual, are more the exception than the rule. Hope this helps anyone considering this.

Getting this done was a consolidation of a lot if information I collected from others. Thanks to the following who made this possible: @YoAdrian (speaker specs), @I Love Grits (base audio wiring diagram), @Rambiss (for starting this thread for just the base audio system), and @Sonnie (for recommending the faital PRO speakers).

hi, am new to this but in hours reading i noted that it seemed agreed upon in other threads that the factory wiring is out of phase. I just started a swap and i need to confirm but i think i saw the factory dash speaker capacitor was on one pole and on my jbl replacement it is on the oposite

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that's mostly been on the door speakers and it has something to do with the ANC.

When I took my dash speakers out the (+) wire lined up to the speaker tab that had the capacitor (both speakers were in phase). I don't know about my door speakers as I currently don't have any intention of swapping them out.

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is but I've always been told to put the filter/bass blocker on the (+) side. The Crutchfield bass blockers come with connectors already crimped on and the filter is on the (+) line.

Which tab is it on your JBL replacement? The larger tab is traditionally the (+) and the narrow tab is the (-). There might also be a red dot on one of the connections and that also signifies that it is the (+) connection.

The Metra connectors were wired backwards so both of my dash speakers would have been out of phase if I didn't swap pins when I put the new speakers in.

Last edited:

tbone6060

Reaction score
i made it home. You are correct. I am going to change all speakers soon and i will note what i find. it does appear the metra 7902 is backwards. i purchased a pin out set which should make life easier. I apologize for any confusion i may have caused.

pin out.JPG IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7807.jpg

wcarman

Reaction score
Quick question for you all. Some background: I have a 2020 with the 6-speaker system and the 8.4" stereo. Where is the amp/anc located? I'm looking to do something like @Waterfowler41 but I just looks and there is no amp/anc under either seats.
Also as a side note, I replaced the dash 3.5 speakers so I got the instructions from crutchfield which also says the base amp should be under the driver's seat but it is not. I'm wondering if they integrated in the head unit? Any incite on this would be great and much appreciated.
amplocation.PNG

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Base audio has no external amplifier. It's all done at the head unit and high level signals go out to the speakers.

The unit under the driver's seat is just the ANC unit.

wcarman

Reaction score
Base audio has no external amplifier. It's all done at the head unit and high level signals go out to the speakers.

The unit under the driver's seat is just the ANC unit.
Got it! So their documentation is a bit misleading and I assume that means the the base audio does not have active noise canceling. Thank you!

Scram1500

Reaction score
Got it! So their documentation is a bit misleading and I assume that means the the base audio does not have active noise canceling. Thank you!
The base audio system does have ANC, with V8s. You must have a V6 as only the Hemis have ANC

Scram1500

Reaction score
You're correct I do have the V6 model. This all makes sense now. Thank you!
(y) lots of configurations out there, and information overload that is extremely difficult to navigate through

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're correct I do have the V6 model. This all makes sense now. Thank you!

Good to know! I was about to say my base system has anc but i have the Hemi. I had no idea the V6 models didn’t have it. Makes sense though.

Like others said, your work is all behind the headunit unfortunately. In my share folder the crutchfield instructions should show how to remove the head unit.

wcarman

Reaction score
Good to know! I was about to say my base system has anc but i have the Hemi. I had no idea the V6 models didn’t have it. Makes sense though.

Like others said, your work is all behind the headunit unfortunately. In my share folder the crutchfield instructions should show how to remove the head unit.
Yes, the instructions I have show how to remove it as well! I'd like to add a Line out converter but do they even make a harness that I can add that will split off the speaker outputs from the back of the stereo so I could put in something like this Here. I really don't want to cut the factory harness to peel out the speaker outputs. I see crutchfield has the PAC amppro but that converts it to RCA which is fine (but very expensive for some reason) and I could use that for a normal amp setup (with rca inputs) but if I could get away with using the Kicker 47KEY200.4 it would be an easy install that I probably could find room to hide under the dash instead of remote mounting it under the seat or under the back seat. Just a thought though, seems like it could be a simple clean install.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how it all connects but you can go this route too to bypass the ANC and tap into the signal lines without cutting the factory harness or emptying your wallet...

Plenty of people have used it. Discussions about it in here but it's a long read to pick out the useful posts:

OC.13

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how it all connects but you can go this route too to bypass the ANC and tap into the signal lines without cutting the factory harness or emptying your wallet...

Plenty of people have used it. Discussions about it in here but it's a long read to pick out the useful posts:

He's got the v6 so no anc. He would need something that comes off the head unit. I can't say I have heard of anything yet, bit I may be mistaken.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He's got the v6 so no anc. He would need something that comes off the head unit. I can't say I have heard of anything yet, bit I may be mistaken.
Good point. I forgot about that. I don't follow much outside of my setup.

I have seen people using products from PAC Audio and iDatalink. I would recommend calling them and seeing if they have anything. Also Crutchfield has good customer service and might be able to recommend something.

ScottChurch

Reaction score
Yes, the instructions I have show how to remove it as well! I'd like to add a Line out converter but do they even make a harness that I can add that will split off the speaker outputs from the back of the stereo so I could put in something like this Here. I really don't want to cut the factory harness to peel out the speaker outputs. I see crutchfield has the PAC amppro but that converts it to RCA which is fine (but very expensive for some reason) and I could use that for a normal amp setup (with rca inputs) but if I could get away with using the Kicker 47KEY200.4 it would be an easy install that I probably could find room to hide under the dash instead of remote mounting it under the seat or under the back seat. Just a thought though, seems like it could be a simple clean install.

In my opinion not having the ANC makes the install much easier. By not having the ANC you just need to splice into the speaker wires coming out of the back of the head unit and connect them to the speaker level inputs on your kicker amp. Then you take the outputs from your amp and send them to the speakers. You would basically be doing something like this.

29642A53-3BA8-4F40-894D-0F578D796FA7.jpeg

wcarman

Reaction score
Good point. I forgot about that. I don't follow much outside of my setup.

I have seen people using products from PAC Audio and iDatalink. I would recommend calling them and seeing if they have anything. Also Crutchfield has good customer service and might be able to recommend something.
My next step was going to be to contact crutchfield to see what they say. It might be that an older Harness will fit just fine... if I’m that lucky lol.

In my opinion not having the ANC makes the install much easier. By not having the ANC you just need to splice into the speaker wires coming out of the back of the head unit and connect them to the speaker level inputs on your kicker amp. Then you take the outputs from your amp and send them to the speakers. You would basically be doing something like this.

View attachment 68322
Yes, this is exactly how I planned it all out in my head. I was just looking for input on if any company makes a harness so I don’t have to cut the factory harness. I know it’s not a big deal to just splice it in and I’ll probably end up doing that but I just figured I’d ask if anyone knew of a harness. Then I’ll slap in some better speakers down the road.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and advice! I’m not sure when I’m going to execute this plan but I’ll be sure to update every once I get it all installed. Then my few fellow v6 owners will have an upgrade option as well!

cruz1996

Reaction score
FaitalPro speakers are installed. All speakers are back to normal volume. Much improved fuller sound. Kickers were too bright and crisp. I'm satisfied. FaitalPro makes a good overall speaker!
Any distortions with the 6 speaker system?!

Users who are viewing this thread