5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

Rambiss

Reaction score
I literally spent over an hour trying to find this answer, so please don't come at me for not searching! I have BASE stereo (6 speakers) and want to do a simple speaker swap. The other threads out there got SOOO much input that finding this answer has become about impossible, too many people with the HK or Alpine systems and it sounds like different ohm speakers work for different stereo's. I want more sound and a crisper sound, so swapping speakers should do the trick and I'm starting with the dash speakers (ONLY 2 speakers in this system). What ohm speakers did you use? I know what ever speakers are used, it sounds like the Meta 72-7902 adapters are needed for the dash. Was thinking Infinity speakers for the dash because I'll eventually likely put in the REF 9632 in the doors.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used Infinity Reference for all of them. Lots of people here have used them with good results. You are on the right track. Yes, 72-7902 is the right harness for the dash. Do the dash and see what you think, then do the doors if you feel the need. Personally if I were doing everything over again I'd probably just do the dash and leave the rest be, since I didn't notice too much difference with the door speakers. But I had the 2 pairs of 6x9s left over from my old Charger so I figured why not put them in. Good luck!

Rambiss

Reaction score
I used Infinity Reference for all of them
Did you use the REF-3032cfx for the dash? That shows as 3 ohm speakers and that's one of my concerns is making sure I don't "lose" sound due to wrong resistance. Thanks.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's close enough, which is why they chose 3 ohm. Works with 2 & 4 ohm systems without being too far off either one. Mine are a slightly older version (3022), but look identical and I believe have the same specs as the 3032.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read of people putting a resistor in line to up the resistance (the dash speakers are 8 ohm) in addition to bass blockers.

On another note, thanks for starting this thread. I agree, the threads about "base speaker upgrades" are muddled with all three audio systems and take hours to read. As much as I appreciate the Alpine and HK guys trying to upgrade their systems, we base 6 speaker guys definitely need some love. (y)

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
I went with Kickers and the first pair went bad so Crutchfield replaced them under warranty. They no longer made the set I had so they upgraded them to the new model which was the KSC350. It has an external crossover so I needed to splice into the harness they supplied. I can not say if they are better then the original Kickers, both were a vast improvement over stock.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are a lot of owners using the Infinity speakers with good results. I personally like the FaitalPRO speakers better, and I along with several others use them in our trucks. You can get those in 4 or 8 ohm from Parts Express. I tested and measured them in my build thread. Here is the first bit of info on the comparison: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...lay-and-jl-audio-stealthbox.21527/post-301137

YMMV

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. (y)

I never knew of Faital PRO until you mentioned it. Those seem to be what I'm looking for: match the stock impedance and have a low power ceiling so that my OEM setup can drive them.

There has been a lot of back and forth about speaker resistances/impedance, especially since multiple systems have been discussed in many of the other audio threads.

For the base 6 speaker audio:

- Dash speakers are 8 ohms
- All four door speakers are the same part number and are 2 ohms

These numbers have been confirmed by YoAdrian who pulled his speakers and measured them (8 ohm for the dash and 1.7 ohm for the doors) in the massive 5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options? thread.

Rambiss

Reaction score
I really like not having to dig through pages and pages to find info............already. If the REF speakers are 3 ohm, with the stocks being 8 ohm, what does that really do to the performance (thus sound quality) of the system? Obviously there are plenty of people who have them in already, but the ohm question was one of the issues I wanted to clear up.

For the specs Sonnie posted, is this info for the stock dash speaker on the base 6 speaker system shown correct? Are they 4 or 8 ohm?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so stock are 8 ohm and all the replacements being discussed are in the 3-4 ohm area?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Infinity speakers are 3 ohm (they actually measure 2.6 ohm). You can get the FaitalPRO in the 8 ohm version.

you want to stay as close to the stock speaker ohm as possible, correct?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to stay close to the factory setup yes.

Once you go down in impedance then that load goes up in current draw (power) compared to the other load (door speaker). Now you might have an unbalanced listening experience. Sure you can fade to rear to take out some of the highs if they are too bright but you can't change the fact that your front door mid-bass has gone since more current is feeding the dash speaker.

As Sonnie said YMMV. Everybody has different tastes, desires, and budgets. Many have gone to lower impedance speakers and have been very happy.

Personally I'm not looking for any other upgrades at this time (or maybe at all) so I want to keep the balance/staging as close to stock as possible. I also don't want to worry about power-hungry speakers that are going to be starved by whatever is put out by the stock system. I'm satisfied with how the audio is laid out and am just looking to make it a little crisper.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am just looking for the same as you. Crisp with a better all around sound.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
There are a lot of owners using the Infinity speakers with good results. I personally like the FaitalPRO speakers better, and I along with several others use them in our trucks. You can get those in 4 or 8 ohm from Parts Express. I tested and measured them in my build thread. Here is the first bit of info on the comparison: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...lay-and-jl-audio-stealthbox.21527/post-301137

YMMV
Looking on Parts Express's website, they offer several different variations of the FaitalPRO speakers, can you post a link for a good factory replacement 8ohm speaker for me?

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You have to trim one of the tabs off (the one that will be towards the window) to get it to fit. There are some threads on these if you search "faitalpro".

KNGSNK11

Reaction score

You have to trim one of the tabs off (the one that will be towards the window) to get it to fit. There are some threads on these if you search "faitalpro".
Thank you!
I'm going to order them now, and see how they compare to the oem speakers, after installing the frostbite sub box and kicker sub with the kicker key amp, I'd like to improve a bit more on the factory system.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm going to order them now, and see how they compare to the oem speakers, after installing the frostbite sub box and kicker sub with the kicker key amp, I'd like to improve a bit more on the factory system.
I'll probably give this a go, too. Not too expensive for an even swap! My audiobooks will sound AMAZING! :geek:

Users who are viewing this thread