5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

Poswah

Reaction score
Can we add the alpine or hk sub to the base system?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

dano257

Reaction score
The base 6 speaker isn't bad. The bass is a little "boomy" and I would like a bit more clarity. Leaving the base speakers in, I would like to add the Kicker 47KWY200.4. It states its 50wx4. I'm thinking since the front doors and dash are wired in parallel, 4 channels would be all I need. But, the part I think would really help, is the built-in digital sound processor (DSP). Any thoughts on adding more power to the stock speakers and if it would help? Thanks

Gozar

Reaction score
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C 6x9" + 3-1/2" Component Speaker System in the front doors and dash, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X694 in rear doors, JBL Basspro powered 8" sub under rear passenger seat, Kicker Key Smart 180w amp (w/mic for setup) and a Net Audio 4-channel amplifier-ready harness with ANC bypass.
Sounds great to me.

JGRaider

Reaction score
Somebody linked a Crutchfield guide that showed speaker installation for RAM 1500 for dash, door, and backseat speakers. The pics and diagrams were great. Does anyone have a link to that thread? Thanks a bunch.

slicktop

Reaction score
Can someone please verify the mounting depth of the front door 6x9's? According to Crutchfield, 6x9's don't fit at all, which doesn't make any sense to me since that's what the factory speakers are....

Gozar

Reaction score
Can someone please verify the mounting depth of the front door 6x9's? According to Crutchfield, 6x9's don't fit at all, which doesn't make any sense to me since that's what the factory speakers are....
Mounting depth on my Kenwood 6x9 are 2 3/4", I did not measure when the door was apart, but they fit.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody linked a Crutchfield guide that showed speaker installation for RAM 1500 for dash, door, and backseat speakers. The pics and diagrams were great. Does anyone have a link to that thread? Thanks a bunch.
Its the first link in my video description. Its the Crutchfield guide for all 3 systems as well as the ANC pin out diagram. I don't want to repost my video and spam up the thread but a few posts up, click my Stereo Walkthrough and look in the video description for the Google share link.

slicktop

Reaction score
I just had a thought... has anyone tried adding an additional dual voice coil speaker to the hole we have in the center, and wiring it in series to the dash speakers for a total of 8 ohms?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just had a thought... has anyone tried adding an additional dual voice coil speaker to the hole we have in the center, and wiring it in series to the dash speakers for a total of 8 ohms?
Similar to your thought I've considered disabling the tweeters in the 3.5 kickers and wiring separate 4 ohm tweeters. My other thought, there is a potential demand now for 8 ohm 3.5 speakers and hopefully more options may appear on the market

RichInMN

Reaction score
Depth to the window is about 3 3/4", you can use a spacer in the front if you need more than that, there's at least 1/4 to 3/8 on the front side.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Similar to your thought I've considered disabling the tweeters in the 3.5 kickers and wiring separate 4 ohm tweeters. My other thought, there is a potential demand now for 8 ohm 3.5 speakers and hopefully more options may appear on the market
FaitalPRO has the dash speaker in 4 ohm and 8 ohm. Several guys have used them, and claim they sound better than any of the others used thus far. I can only verify they sound better than the Infinity or JL Audio (JL is underpowered)... based on my subjective listening abilities of course.

grooves12

Reaction score
Repost of what I did from the other thread:

I originally went with CDT 2-ohm 6x9's and JBL 3-ohm dash speakers. The combo was shrill and killed all bass. I swapped out the dash speakers for JL Audio 4-ohm speakers and it was a HUGE improvement. I still had to turn up the BASS on the EQ quite a bit to get it leveled out, but it has a good balance and sound stage throughout the volume range. I'm happy enough with the setup that I don't really feel I need to add a subwoofer.

The Dash and Door being wired in parallel really makes speaker selection more finicky as they have to be a good match for each other.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you need a pair of the JL Audio dash speakers, I have a set that are in excellent condition I'll make you a deal on ... PM me.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried the Faital today vs the infinity (thanks for the quick shipment Sonnie). There is definitely a difference. I'm still trying to figure out if I like it better. Need to spend a bit more time with them. They're definitely clearer and louder.

How are the JL vs these vs infinity?

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The JL's will be a little more subdued with the lower sensitivity, but if run in parallel with the doors that are at 2 ohm, they should work fine in those systems.

Users who are viewing this thread