5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They are two totally different designs so not sure. The muffler replacement uses the factory resonators where a full cat back uses a different muffler design and no resonators. If you do a B2 Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler, as an example, without the resonators it would be WAY too much noise and would add drone.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I had the cat back Magnaflow and it was way to loud for me and I would like to try something else. I was thinking Borla touring but some say even that might be too loud. Next option is just do a muffler with the stock resonators but you have to cut the stock muffler out. If don't like it I'm screwed at that point and piecing it back together etc..

Ftlotg15

Reaction score
Ok so I'm just gonna go there since after going back a few pages I haven't seen it mentioned.....Carven... thoughts?? I'd really like to get that growl which of course requires an upgrade.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Will be installing my B2 tomorrow

@Ram1984 good luck on the install. If you have the opportunity to snap some pics or video as you go along, please post them. I am going to hopefully get my b2 fab done next week. It looks straightforward but I’ve never done one before so I’ll take all the pics/tips/tricks I can get!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No problem lining up the tips like another member had mentioned? There's also the issue with the deployable bed step too.
I have magnalflow with the OEM bed step and it’s fine. And I struggled slightly with getting my tips perfect but a muffler shop took care of it for 50 bucks and it is perfect now and has been for a couple of months at this point

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Next option is just do a muffler with the stock resonators but you have to cut the stock muffler out. If don't like it I'm screwed at that point and piecing it back together etc..

Any good muffler shop can handle that situation with ease so no worries about your concern. My shop here charges $60 to this.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Ram1984 good luck on the install. If you have the opportunity to snap some pics or video as you go along, please post them. I am going to hopefully get my b2 fab done next week. It looks straightforward but I’ve never done one before so I’ll take all the pics/tips/tricks I can get!

@Patsy1099 ...it is best done with two people so get a friend! It is very straight forward.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For those doing the B2 setup, or any aftermarket muffler replacement (this is NOT for those doing a full cat-back), the factory tips can be easily adjusted to ensure precision placement in the bumper cutout as they are mounted to an adjustable hinge on the exhaust pipe. Therefore, if your tips are misaligned, a simple loosening of a bolt, repositioning with your hand and then retightening and its PERFECT :)

porkie

Reaction score
Does just the Magnaflow muffler create less noise than the full cat back?
I have 14” magnaflow type muffler (local manufacturer) and I received the full MF catback system to be installed when the weather is better. If you can wait a month, I post a video. I think you’re in MA and so am I so if you want to hear it before I take it off let me know. I didn’t find enough low end in the 14” and you can hear the whipping noise from the resonators every once in a while. Other than that it’s not too bad unless pushing it at 2500 to 4000 rpms.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would say that if it’s not a MF then you aren’t comparing apples to apples. My MF kit from B2 has plenty of low end and I hear nothing “whipping” from the resonators. It is very deep and throaty and that depth will increase over time. People do hear things different so if you can hear an actual MF install, then do that.

Rambro23

Reaction score
I have magnalflow with the OEM bed step and it’s fine. And I struggled slightly with getting my tips perfect but a muffler shop took care of it for 50 bucks and it is perfect now and has been for a couple of months at this point
Same experience here, lol. Glad I went with MF, they've perfected the hemi sound.

Rambro23

Reaction score
I would say that if it’s not a MF then you aren’t comparing apples to apples. My MF kit from B2 has plenty of low end and I hear nothing “whipping” from the resonators. It is very deep and throaty and that depth will increase over time. People do hear things different so if you can hear an actual MF install, then do that.
Agreed, deep thundering rumble that keeps me in the driver's seat!

Ram1984

Reaction score
For those who installed the B2 magnaflow,,,I noticed my ground wire clip fits sloppy on the B2 since it’s smaller diameter. Is this of any concern

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I have 14” magnaflow type muffler (local manufacturer) and I received the full MF catback system to be installed when the weather is better. If you can wait a month, I post a video. I think you’re in MA and so am I so if you want to hear it before I take it off let me know. I didn’t find enough low end in the 14” and you can hear the whipping noise from the resonators every once in a while. Other than that it’s not too bad unless pushing it at 2500 to 4000 rpms.

Thanks, that would be great! What area of MA are you from?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For those who installed the B2 magnaflow,,,I noticed my ground wire clip fits sloppy on the B2 since it’s smaller diameter. Is this of any concern

I squeezed the clip with a pair of pliers...carefully...to make it grip tighter but no, it should not be of concern.

Users who are viewing this thread