5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

grinch72

Reaction score
The B2 fab is a fine unit. I’ve had mine for several months now, could not be happier with it. It is very price competitive, install is easy, cost me $40, and the sound is not over the top.

IMO, Those paying for the cat back system, are tossing a perfectly good factory cat back in the trash. The seasoned, experienced guy, that installed my B2, was impressed with the factory exhaust piping.

Everyone has their reasons for modding, if that includes cat back money, so be it. Did not fit my budget.
I sold my factory exhaust for $500 which paid for most of my Borla catback. No complaints here.

Rebel Yell

Reaction score
You want to go with the Magnaflow option
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate you sharing!! After talking with a local shop here they are willing to install a Flowmaster and a Magnaflow so I can hear the differences and make a decision. Two things are holding me back on the Magnaflow. One is that it filters all sounds the same (both high and low pitch) I like that Flowmaster baffles can just filter out the higher end pitches. Second is that because MF is glass packed that material will blow out over time and the sound will get louder, where FM has no packing material and sound should be consistent over time. The downside to the FM is that chambered systems tend to restrict exhaust flow more than straight through design. After researching all this I am leaning toward the FM 40 delta flow if I am going to have someone else do the install since that option will definitely require some welds. If I go the bolt on route I think the Magnaflow is going to be the best option. I am not seeing a huge cost difference since the B2 Magnaflow is between $260-$300 and the local exhaust shop will do the FM 40 delta flow installed for $300-$325.

Craigg69

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate you sharing!! After talking with a local shop here they are willing to install a Flowmaster and a Magnaflow so I can hear the differences and make a decision. Two things are holding me back on the Magnaflow. One is that it filters all sounds the same (both high and low pitch) I like that Flowmaster baffles can just filter out the higher end pitches. Second is that because MF is glass packed that material will blow out over time and the sound will get louder, where FM has no packing material and sound should be consistent over time. The downside to the FM is that chambered systems tend to restrict exhaust flow more than straight through design. After researching all this I am leaning toward the FM 40 delta flow if I am going to have someone else do the install since that option will definitely require some welds. If I go the bolt on route I think the Magnaflow is going to be the best option. I am not seeing a huge cost difference since the B2 Magnaflow is between $260-$300 and the local exhaust shop will do the FM 40 delta flow installed for $300-$325.
Just stopped by my local muffler shop and he is going to weld in a flowmaster 40 in on Monday. He told me $235 with taxes. I have had the same system the 40 with Resonator delete on my old 2011 Ram but this time going to leave the Resonators for now.I have really been back and forth with the MF b2 bolt on and the FM 40.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am sure that they both will sound just fine and maybe very similar too. Can't go wrong either way but $235 sounds a bit steep to me for the muffler and installation. The MF muffler is only about $100 and my local shop wanted $60 to weld it in. I decided to go with the B2 anyway.

Craigg69

Reaction score
Never looked up how much the muffler cost since I don't weld and was going to have them install it. Will chat with him on Monday since I know how much they cost and see what he charging me for the Muffler. The last time they did the exhaust on My scat pack Challenger there quote was higher than what they charged me after the job was done. Hoping since this is the 5th car/truck that I have brought to them i get a discount..lol I went to another muffler shop like midas near me and they were crazy labor, They told me 250 for labor and i would have to buy the FM since they don't stock them,I laughed and left.

stepbill

Reaction score
Is there a Magnaflow muffler that is the quietest, not very loud at all? I want something that you can hear a low rumble and that is it. I've been thinking about going with the Borla touring cat-back but hate to spend that much money.

Brain h

Reaction score
Is there a Magnaflow muffler that is the quietest, not very loud at all? I want something that you can hear a low rumble and that is it. I've been thinking about going with the Borla touring cat-back but hate to spend that much money.
I'm getting a magnaflow cat back system in a few days..I'll keep you posted on my thoughts after install.
I got it because I didnt want anything really loud, I just wanted a deep rumble and a slightly more aggressive tone.

Rambro23

Reaction score
I'm getting a magnaflow cat back system in a few days..I'll keep you posted on my thoughts after install.
I got it because I didnt want anything really loud, I just wanted a deep rumble and a slightly more aggressive tone.
I have 19430 MF catback and its perfect! make sure to order from hottexhaust.com and save 20%

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
With the RAMs entire exhaust system being made of T409, its a hard sell to remove great quality pipe when all you need is a great muffler to get the same end result.

stepbill

Reaction score
Brain, I'm surprised at that. The one that you ordered seems fairly loud, listening with headphones. The Borla that I was thinking of was the tourning.

Brain h

Reaction score
Borla all the way!
Borla was a little too loud for me on this truck
Brain, I'm surprised at that. The one that you ordered seems fairly loud, listening with headphones. The Borla that I was thinking of was the tourning.
Fortunately for me my local dealer has the borla system on his personal truck (19 longhorn) and I was able to hear the magnaflow system at a car show a few weeks ago and the magnaflow had a very deep sound not only at idle and not very loud in travelling. The borla was to me a little louder but it also was their attac system he had installed.

Dirt Shirt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just installed the Borla Atak catback exhaust and it sounds amazing. I had flowmaster on my 16 Ram, but it rusted like no other so I have steered away from them. I live in Arkansas and there was no reason for it to rust like it did just after 6 months of being installed. The Atak is loud, but it’s what I wanted on my Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread