5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed mine, took 15 minutes. I have to go back out and format the card if I want to record anything.
The instructions say 128 gb card is the biggest. I have also heard you can put a bigger one but it will only use the max stated for the camera. Not sure if true, may not work at all or it will just format it to 128 another words.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just installed mine, took 15 minutes. I have to go back out and format the card if I want to record anything.
The instructions say 128 gb card is the biggest. I have also heard you can put a bigger one but it will only use the max stated for the camera. Not sure if true, may not work at all or it will just format it to 128 another words.
You don't have to format it for it to record.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a follow-up... finished installing 2 systems, 1 front camera only and the other-the dual setup... As far as loosing FM or interference --- all good on both vehicles... Will continue to test

-=FM45=-
Awesome. Let us know which route you took to run the cable to the rear camera and the mounting location.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Mine just got delivered. Install was a piece of cake. About 15 minutes for juat the front camera. Figuring out the app took a longer than I expected. Don't know if I'm doing something dumb or not but I'm not a fan of the fitcamx app. Had my phone on wifi but the app wouldn't connect for some reason. The blue light on the camera was on. Got it to connect eventually but I'm not really sure how it happened. I took a little drive around the block and it is recording with the SD card that came with it. I'm gonna read through the instructions pamphlet to see how the app works.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only critique, the FitcamX harness will actually snap on to the mount that factory connector is on so you don't have to zip tie it up above. unclip the factory harness, clip on the FitcamX connector. You can tuck everything in the front of the camera then you aren't worried about clearance on the upper trim piece.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My only critique, the FitcamX harness will actually snap on to the mount that factory connector is on so you don't have to zip tie it up above. unclip the factory harness, clip on the FitcamX connector. You can tuck everything in the front of the camera then you aren't worried about clearance on the upper trim piece.
Yeah there's no need to zip tie the harness. Everything actually tucks in just fine. You can actually remove the entire mirror and lower trim once you get the upper trim piece off. The entire shroud and mirror assemble will rotate a quarter turn in either direction and will release from the windshield. Leaving just the little block that's glued to the windshield. It's not necessary to to that but you can. I took it completely off when I thought I had a wire pinched

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah there's no need to zip tie the harness. Everything actually tucks in just fine. You can actually remove the entire mirror and lower trim once you get the upper trim piece off. The entire shroud and mirror assemble will rotate a quarter turn in either direction and will release from the windshield. Leaving just the little block that's glued to the windshield. It's not necessary to to that but you can. I took it completely off when I thought I had a wire pinched
When I installed the simpleusbport adapter for my old dash cam, I actually pulled the entire mirror off. Scared me at first, until I realized it was just 1/4 turn as you said.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Zip tie wasn’t totally necessary but I used it to pull the wires together. I have this weird phobia of rattle noises and didn’t want the extra length of harness hanging and contacting the plastic cover. Again probably wasn’t needed but it didn’t hurt to install it.

Drew87

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any issues with this working on the digital review mirror?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any issues with this working on the digital review mirror?
It doesn't use the mirror as a display. Get the right version for your truck and it will work just fine

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Got my camera installed last night which as mentioned previously only took about 15 minutes to do. Here's a clip I recorded today. It's overcast sky's today so there's very little sun and also an underpass to show the light to dark transition. All in all I think this is a pretty damn good camera for being as cheap as it is. Best of all it looks like it came from the factory.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got my camera installed last night which as mentioned previously only took about 15 minutes to do. Here's a clip I recorded today. It's overcast sky's today so there's very little sun and also an underpass to show the light to dark transition. All in all I think this is a pretty damn good camera for being as cheap as it is. Best of all it looks like it came from the factory.

That looks great and having my own GoPro/YouTube channel, I realize the actual footage from your SD card is better quality.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That looks great and I having my own GoPro/YouTube channel, I realize the actual footage from your SD card is better quality.
Yeah I'm not very tech savvy but I'd imagine so. I downloaded the clip from the camera to my cellphone phone via the fitcamx app. It wouldn't let me upload the video here so I had to add it to my YouTube "channel" then upload here. The only reason I have the YouTube thing is because of just that reason. I don't have the time or patience to do what that waterfowler guy does.

Users who are viewing this thread