5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

stakxyn

Reaction score
I went ahead and installed the front camera and rear camera. It was very easy and took me about 30 mins in all. Honestly the hardest part was mounting the dash cam for me, I couldn’t attach it for 10 mins for some reason.

For the rear camera I went through the passenger side and there was plenty of extra slack. I ended up tucking most of it in behind the passenger seat. I don’t have high confidence in the 3M tape, and I hope it doesn’t damage the tint. Time will tell.

The app was easy to set up. I will say the preview looks like garbage and I was worried, however once the video is downloaded the quality is great. Permissions required was minimal which is good to see.

Very happy with the install of the dash cam.

Thanks @Waterfowler41 for the video!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went ahead and installed the front camera and rear camera. It was very easy and took me about 30 mins in all. Honestly the hardest part was mounting the dash cam for me, I couldn’t attach it for 10 mins for some reason.

For the rear camera I went through the passenger side and there was plenty of extra slack. I ended up tucking most of it in behind the passenger seat. I don’t have high confidence in the 3M tape, and I hope it doesn’t damage the tint. Time will tell.

The app was easy to set up. I will say the preview looks like garbage and I was worried, however once the video is downloaded the quality is great. Permissions required was minimal which is good to see.

Very happy with the install of the dash cam.

Thanks @Waterfowler41 for the video!
FWIW, I peeled the double sided tape from my old dash cam off my windshield and it didn't damage the tint at all. I was kind of worried. I have my whole windshield tinted.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Which one of you guys is Waterfowler on YouTube? He just posted a Model A camera install video. He's got the patience to video the install unlike myself lol. It's straight forward like his video

Nice job on the install video. After watching that semi blow through a red light, it made me think that the camera footage could be a way to prove whether or not you ran a red light. Can you access the video footage from your phone, if the camera is not connected to Wifi?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Nice job on the install video. After watching that semi blow through a red light, it made me think that the camera footage could be a way to prove whether or not you ran a red light. Can you access the video footage from your phone, if the camera is not connected to Wifi?
Yep. The camera broadcast a wifi signal that you use to connect with your phone. Once connected, you can download clips to your phone. This method is quite slow, so I recommend using your computer to access and copy the clips you want unless you need the clip when away from home.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You connect your phone the the cameras wifi. The camera doesn't connect. You have to have power to the camera and you can access the videos any time. Even watch live video from your phone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. The camera broadcast a wifi signal that you use to connect with your phone. Once connected, you can download clips to your phone. This method is quite slow, so I recommend using your computer to access and copy the clips you want unless you need the clip when away from home.
Funny you say it's slow. The laptop I use for reading my dash cam cards, and also update my TazerDT is tons slower than downloading directly to my phone. and that laptop isn't very old and doesn't get used much. I even took it to a computer repair place to see what they can do. All they did was re-instslled windows and said it was good. But it wasn't any faster when I got it back.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks but that's not my video. I just posted it because it was the only one I could find for the Model A camera.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wish it would connect some different way besides wifi close to the camera. I'd like to be able to review the recorded clips away from the truck without having to sit there downloading them to the phone first

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Here's a clip from my drive home from work tonight. I don't know what the camera setting are but I'll mess around with them when I get a chance. There's a lot of flashing lights and reflective cones from the never-ending road work in the state but it will give you an idea how the camera reacts to them.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here's a clip from my drive home from work tonight. I don't know what the camera setting are but I'll mess around with them when I get a chance. There's a lot of flashing lights and reflective cones from the never-ending road work in the state but it will give you an idea how the camera reacts to them.

Thanks for posting all of the footage. I'm sold on this camera.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose I should have quoted Waterfowler instead of you.
No worries. I'm pretty sure he has/had the only video of the model A camera. I didn't know he was a member here. I happened to have mine installed and functional before I saw his video but I thought I would fit perfectly in this thread

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks for posting all of the footage. I'm sold on this camera.
Not a problem at all. I was anxiously waiting for the release of this camera since I first found out about it in the previous tread that was deleted or whatever. I've wanted a dash cam for a long time but didn't want anything stuck to the windshield or wires hanging everywhere. I was/am excited it's finally here. It really does look factory when sitting in the driver's seat and you can hardly notice it standing in front of the truck looking at it. Plus it's under $200. and takes literally a few minutes to get it installed and operational. Hopefully it's something that will stay functional for some time

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish it would connect some different way besides wifi close to the camera. I'd like to be able to review the recorded clips away from the truck without having to sit there downloading them to the phone first
I don't know if any dash cams that have that function. Most don't even have wifi and you have to remove the memory card and use a computer to view.

I normally use 3 minute loop recording on my dash cams, but the three minute clips took forever to download, so switched them to 1 minutes clips.

Scion

Reaction score
This may be a good time for a reminder that the default recording resolution is 2k. You need to go into the settings in the app and change it to 4k (assuming that's what you want). It naturally uses more storage, but the quality is way better, especially when you're trying to make out license plate numbers.

Disclaimer: This information was at least correct on the model "B" about 2 months ago.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
This may be a good time for a reminder that the default recording resolution is 2k. You need to go into the settings in the app and change it to 4k (assuming that's what you want). It naturally uses more storage, but the quality is way better, especially when you're trying to make out license plate numbers.

Disclaimer: This information was at least correct on the model "B" about 2 months ago.
I believe it's the same with the A camera as well. When I set up the camera I noticed that

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I don't know if any dash cams that have that function. Most don't even have wifi and you have to remove the memory card and use a computer to view.

I normally use 3 minute loop recording on my dash cams, but the three minute clips took forever to download, so switched them to 1 minutes clips.
I never had any other dash cam so I don't know. My comment regarding a different way was just a wishful thinking type of thing

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it's the same with the A camera as well. When I set up the camera I noticed that
I will have to check mine again, but I was pretty sure it was set to highest resolution out of the box. I went into the settings and didn't see where there was a higher resolution option to go to, only lower resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread