5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers Crossed...Brake Squeal Resolved

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Brake pad grease and clips. Not enough makes that exact same squeak fellas. A pad vibrates as pressure is applied to it, and vibrates at such a rapid pace, the resulting sound is exactly that of a squeak, which gives the brain the sensation of something rubbing (situations we usually hear squeaks, like door hinges and such).

Because the squeak comes and goes, and is higher speeds like 30 to 50mph, my opinion is it has a lot to do with grease.

Also note* new pads can squeal. They are still being bedded, and that pad needs to find the harmony with the rotor. As it beds and wears to the rotor, most squeaks can go away.

Thirdly, the better the brake pads are at stopping, usually the louder the brake pads are. Pads are made with a balance of performance and comfort in mind. This is a heavy truck. Perhaps FCA went just a tad more on the "lets make sure we stop this rig at a distance better than Ford and Chevy" mindset, and less on the audio comfort. So the pad composition may just be what it is. By design, so to speak.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
That’s a bummer. Def need rotors replaced if squeal is still there. Only think I can think off.
Mine is squeal free after new pads and rotors. Been three months since they did this.
You know what, great point. Your dealer may have full bedded them, versus his dealer. As we know, some dealers are better than others.

I think he shoukd give it maybe 2 tank fulls and regular braking in that time. Not 1 long highway trip.

4midlife

Reaction score
Brake pad grease and clips. Not enough makes that exact same squeak fellas. A pad vibrates as pressure is applied to it, and vibrates at such a rapid pace, the resulting sound is exactly that of a squeak, which gives the brain the sensation of something rubbing (situations we usually hear squeaks, like door hinges and such).

Because the squeak comes and goes, and is higher speeds like 30 to 50mph, my opinion is it has a lot to do with grease.

Also note* new pads can squeal. They are still being bedded, and that pad needs to find the harmony with the rotor. As it beds and wears to the rotor, most squeaks can go away.

Thirdly, the better the brake pads are at stopping, usually the louder the brake pads are. Pads are made with a balance of performance and comfort in mind. This is a heavy truck. Perhaps FCA went just a tad more on the "lets make sure we stop this rig at a distance better than Ford and Chevy" mindset, and less on the audio comfort. So the pad composition may just be what it is. By design, so to speak.

I have just completed my 4th visit with my dealership with all rotors and pads replaced and it still makes noise. I opened a STAR case with FCA and they came back and said it is a rear caliper issue and that at some point there will be a fix, a future fix. Not sure if that means it is a complete caliper redesign or the ETA. Very disappointing and annoying as the noise is not acceptable for a 2019 vehicle in addition to the amount of time spent at the dealer.

lpdb185

Reaction score
Are you absolutely positive the squeal isnt coming from rear brakes?

I’m pretty sure it’s the front. If I said rear then I mis-typed it. And they should be bedded by now, as I’ve put probably 600 miles on it since they replaced the pads. I called this afternoon and they said the tech was going to do some more research on it and they would get back with me next week. But they confirmed they only replaced the pads, not the calipers or rotors.

4midlife, I feel your pain. Hopefully we get some resolution soon.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on observing the noise from outside while the vehicle is moving, it sounds to me that it's coming from the rear brakes only.

I'm conducting a little test to see if I can verify this. Will keep you posted.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008168 miles.

O

Old member 1160

Very disappointed to report my brake squeal is back roughly 1 month after getting the updated pads put on. The dealer did not replace the rotors, citing that no hot spots were present. I suppose I am going to have to start my argument all over and demand new rotors be put on now. This truck just continues to let me down after chosing it over a new F150.

O

Old member 1160

I have just completed my 4th visit with my dealership with all rotors and pads replaced and it still makes noise. I opened a STAR case with FCA and they came back and said it is a rear caliper issue and that at some point there will be a fix, a future fix. Not sure if that means it is a complete caliper redesign or the ETA. Very disappointing and annoying as the noise is not acceptable for a 2019 vehicle in addition to the amount of time spent at the dealer.

Are you getting the high pitched squea between 30 and 70, when applying light brake pressure? Or something different?

4midlife

Reaction score
Very disappointed to report my brake squeal is back roughly 1 month after getting the updated pads put on. The dealer did not replace the rotors, citing that no hot spots were present. I suppose I am going to have to start my argument all over and demand new rotors be put on now. This truck just continues to let me down after chosing it over a new F150.
Save your energy and call FCA and open a "Star" case.

NW_19Ram

Reaction score
Mine has just begun to squeal in the morning or after sitting all day at work for the first few applications. After I have applied the brakes a few times they are quiet the rest of the time I drive until it sits like I said overnight, or all day at work without moving. Will save this for future when they get to the point I can't take it no more and make certain the upgraded pad is used.
Sounds like my scenario. I can hear it backing down the driveway in the morning for a month or two now, but just started hearing it after work pulling out of the parking lot.

NW_19Ram

Reaction score
I think you might have ran over an animal. ;) Mine was like that, but to a much, much smaller degree. Oddly enough, it has stopped recently. No clue why for sure.
Mine is making that sound backing down the driveway too. Didn’t realize it was so noticeable from the outside. Should name this sound “The Chewbacca.”

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear brake groan/squeal came back with the cold weather. Every time I back out in the morning it sounds like I'm putting out a whale mating call. I'm going to ask my dealer about it at the upcoming oil change.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Do you folks with the chewbacca mating call sounds, do you have eTorque... just curious.

This question isnt for the high pitch squeal, just the hard sounds like those describing chewbacca, etc.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you folks with the chewbacca mating call sounds, do you have eTorque... just curious.

This question isnt for the high pitch squeal, just the hard sounds like those describing chewbacca, etc.

No, I do not have eTorque. And yes, mine is more chewbacca than any high pitch squeal.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Do you feel it in the pedal too? Or is it just sound

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I hope most people find out its a matter of greasing the rear of the pads to the caliper.

A good quality grease. Also, I would check the screw bolts behind to make sure they are not semi loose. They would be under a dust cap.

There should be some sense of muscle to loosen them out. Of it loosens without much effort at all, even if they were snug, they were probably a little on the not tight enough spectrum.

It sounds like a vibration.

Or, lastly, I may wonder if there is any air bubbles in the brake line. A true flush ajd fill where the air is squeezed out MAY solve problems like that. Usually the brakes woukd feel squishier than they should with air bubbles.

What I can see is feasible is that as a vehicle sits overnight or for some time, the air bubbles relocate higher in the lines. When first brake is applied, the pressure isnt normal on the brakes, and being lught in the brake fluid, simply doesnt push the calipers hard enough.

Just thoughts to help in the pondering for troubleshooting.

Jamesontf

Reaction score
I just purchased my Ram two weeks ago. This morning I had to leave early. I woke up my 18 month child with the Chewwy scream! I’m scared to work with my dealer as I took my Durango in for a recall and they gave it back twice saying they couldn’t find the recall. Any advice you could give me on how to approach this with a service manager than knows less about cars than me?

4midlife

Reaction score
I just purchased my Ram two weeks ago. This morning I had to leave early. I woke up my 18 month child with the Chewwy scream! I’m scared to work with my dealer as I took my Durango in for a recall and they gave it back twice saying they couldn’t find the recall. Any advice you could give me on how to approach this with a service manager than knows less about cars than me?
Contact FCA and ask them to open a STAR case - they will then work with the dealer directly.

MikeD1974

Reaction score
I’m sitting s dealership now Bc of the Chewbacca mating call brake issue. The service tech here is terrible. Fighting me on everything. Showed him this thread and the Star case. Says he doesn’t have any complaints about it. Told him I’m complaining about it and lots of other Ram owners too. Very disappointed with level of service.

My issue is definitely backing up in morning after a cold and or rainy/snowy night. Didn’t happen in sept/October when I first got it. Goes away quickly and doesn’t come back to the next morning. Also doesn’t happen every morning.

Users who are viewing this thread