5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers Crossed...Brake Squeal Resolved

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My truck goes in tomorrow for the new brake pads. I’ll know soon if it works.
What about rotors? If they leave the old ones in, the squeal will come back more than likely. Calipers do not need to be replaced btw.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
What about rotors? If they leave the old ones in, the squeal will come back more than likely. Calipers do not need to be replaced btw.

I’ll find out more tomorrow, my dealer did hear the noise when backing up and they have been in talks with Mopar. I’ll post what they did if it works. They told me it would take 2 hours to do the work.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ll find out more tomorrow, my dealer did hear the noise when backing up and they have been in talks with Mopar. I’ll post what they did if it works. They told me it would take 2 hours to do the work.
Great. Also make sure you're getting the redesigned pads... Doesn't hurt to check.

Cheers,

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound like this?

Wow! Sounds like my brother-in law when he reaches for his wallet.

I have the same noise but no where near that bad. In fact, I recently went four days without hearing it at all. Like others, I only experience this noise backing up.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007239 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I have the same noise but no where near that bad. In fact, I recently went four days without hearing it at all. Like others, I only experience this noise backing up.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007239 miles.
Yikes. That's pretty awful.
Mine never did that. Just the squeal under light braking (going forward, never in reverse).

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
I am getting the squeal on my Limited. Going forward about 25-30mph and light on the brakes. Usually on the freeway in traffic. It's not super loud, but it does happen right at that perfect spot when braking.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am getting the squeal on my Limited. Going forward about 25-30mph and light on the brakes. Usually on the freeway in traffic. It's not super loud, but it does happen right at that perfect spot when braking.
Yeah... That's the issue everyone has.
Fix involves replacing rotors and pads (with the redesigned pads). Mine has been squeal-free for about three months after the fix.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Yeah... That's the issue everyone has.
Fix involves replacing rotors and pads (with the redesigned pads). Mine has been squeal-free for about three months after the fix.
@Neurobit do you know if there is a TSB on this to reference this at dealership

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
JR,

No TSB that I know of as of yet. Here's a copy of the work they did on my truck for your reference:

On edit; Here's the correct file (the one I posted earlier was not mine).
This also shows the P/Ns for the improved pads (and seems rotors are new design also, going by the "B" designation at the end of the part number).

1544815882689.jpeg

Last edited:

meltedcheez

Reaction score
@Neurobit do you know if there is a TSB on this to reference this at dealership
This is what Ram Cares provided: STAR Case# S1805000008
You can reference it with your dealer but more than likely they will need to replicate before they do anything on the truck. I took mine in while it was raining and it wouldn't replicate until they had dried out a bit after a few days. Moisture affects the squeal sometimes.
I'm still waiting for the brake parts to come in so they can perform the repair.

Last edited:

JoeRam

Reaction score
You can reference it with your dealer but more than likely they will need to replicate before they do anything on the truck. I took mine in while it was raining and it wouldn't replicate until they had dried out a bit after a few days. Moisture affects the squeal sometimes.
I'm still waiting for the brake parts to come in so they can perform the repair.
@meltedcheez thank you Sir!!

JoeRam

Reaction score
JR,

No TSB that I know of as of yet. Here's a copy of the work they did on my truck for your reference:

On edit; Here's the correct file (the one I posted earlier was not mine).
This also shows the P/Ns for the improved pads (and seems rotors are new design also, going by the "B" designation at the end of the part number).

View attachment 10638
@Neurobit Thank you Sir!!

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have that squeal too. Was hoping it was new car/new pad rotor film and bedding, but i am at 1100 now and still happening.

All your discussion and pic attachments are really helpful in arming with info for the dealer, so thanks to everyone for those.

My question: were your dealers initially doubtful or did they respect the information you came in with?

And has anyone taken this issue to any DC area ram dealers who might now have familiarity with this issue?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have that squeal too. Was hoping it was new car/new pad rotor film and bedding, but i am at 1100 now and still happening.

All your discussion and pic attachments are really helpful in arming with info for the dealer, so thanks to everyone for those.

My question: were your dealers initially doubtful or did they respect the information you came in with?

And has anyone taken this issue to any DC area ram dealers who might now have familiarity with this issue?
Hi Longhorn,

My service advisor was great. I told him about the issue and explained that it may not do the squeal at that time as I had just done the hard brake steps to mitigate the noise, which works for a couple of days and then noise comes back. He totally understood, and told me that they would test and see if they could replicate and go from there.

No pushback of any kind. He emailed me that evening and told me that they had replicated the noise and would order the parts to swap them out. They put the updated pads and all is well.
This was in late October, so almost two months ago squeal-free.

Cheers,

RAM1500_SoCal

Reaction score

This is the STAR case # I gave the service advisor when I took mine in for the issue. They replaced the rotors/pads and 1k miles later it hasn't come back.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Dealer just replaced my front and rear pads and rotors. Pads are the new design. They used the Star case number floating around here. I'll let you know in a few days if it worked after I back up with it a few mornings. Sounded just like the video posted in this topic. Hopefully this took care of it.

S

Smashy71

Regards,
Dusty

Mine sound exactly like that!

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Awesome, thats great to hear they were open to listening to a customer. My experience with dealerships, and its been with a lot of them, they tend to assume by default that no one knows anything about cars except them.

Its akin to someone going in to the doctors office already having their diagnosis in hand after reading webMD, amd I get that. Doctirs hate that, and call those patients Dr. Google.

I have a bad cylinder head in the WK2 Jeep of mine, a KNOWN issue covered by Powertrain, it ticks somewhat, but they say they cant hear it. And this is a Jeep Ram dealer. Safford in Springfield VA, where I originally bought it. I rent Grand Cherokees on business trips with Pentastars and they dont make my noise. And despite being around hundreds of new Pentastars daily these guys say they dont hear anything wrong.

So you can see my apprehension with the Ram, being that it goes back to the same type of guys.

This Ram was bought from Farrish in Fairfax, VA, which is where I will take it for this and a couple other minor issues. But I sweat that I am going to run into ego trips there too.

Sounds like you guys with the star # and pictures of the differing pads got the job done. I will go that route!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have that squeal too. Was hoping it was new car/new pad rotor film and bedding, but i am at 1100 now and still happening...

I guess mines an anomaly since I never heard the brake howl until just before I turned 7K miles.

Based on people standing near the vehicle when backing, it appears to be coming from the rear brakes only.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007333 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread