5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers Crossed...Brake Squeal Resolved

S

Smashy71

I was all set this morning with video going to record the screeching brakes and NOTHING! It has religiously done it for a solid week straight until this morning.

jkratze1

Reaction score
Same exact problem. Taking mine to my dealer today to see what they say.

I had this problem for the first time yesterday backing out of my garage and I heard a loud squeal. No problem going forward. It was raining out so I don't know if moisture contributes to the problem.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I had this problem for the first time yesterday backing out of my garage and I heard a loud squeal. No problem going forward. It was raining out so I don't know if moisture contributes to the problem.
Just curious, how many miles at this point?

dswoboda2120

Reaction score

I think moisture does contribute to it. I noticed mine on cold mornings after the truck was in wet or damp conditions before I parked it. So when I took mine to the dealer I knew they would want to hear it for themselves, so I ran it through the car wash just before I dropped it off. The next morning the dealer heard the loud noise and scheduled repairs based on the star case. So far it is good, but I haven’t had much time to test it. If we don’t get rain I will run it through the car wash sometime this week and see.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Well, I experienced the first conditions similar to when I would hear the squealing like in the video. It was raining and cold the night before, in the morning it was below freezing, and the truck was silent backing up this morning. It is early, only a week or so since getting my brakes and rotors replaced, but it appears to have fixed the problem.

geotex1

Reaction score
I had the squeal begin at ~350miles. Its obnoxious now at 805miles. Does it realiably on cold days. Does it even with hot brakes. I experience it most when coming to a stop on curves, which is all the time in the mountains. However, the problem is it's inconsistent, so intermittent, and as expected I got the "could not replicate" on the work order from the service department located on the flat Coastal Plain.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Did you show them the star case paper on the subject, and my receipts showing service?

Tmcb

Reaction score
I am at dealer today and provided the star case # s18050000008. We looked together at this and it applies to the front brakes only. It mentioned rear brakes would be addressed at a later date. The star case is dates 10/20 or about that time. All they will do is grease like others have mentioned so I am probably waisting my time. I do have a case number and have reached out several times, both email and call to Megan, not have not heard back. Thought they would be speaking to the service dept

geotex1

Reaction score
Did you show them the star case paper on the subject, and my receipts showing service?

I steered them to it and was stonewalled by it being in reference to the front brakes. This is clearly the rear brakes in my case.

This was my experience at my selling dealer. I didn't pick them for their service ratings! Lol. I was there for the "we owes" and had them look at the brakes and reverse tilt of mirrors not returning to my set point. No answers for either. I'll try my local RAM dealer who has an impeccable service rating, and the service manager and master tech are "car guys" and often cruise their toys in the same events I bring out the '37 for.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I steered them to it and was stonewalled by it being in reference to the front brakes. This is clearly the rear brakes in my case.

This was my experience at my selling dealer. I didn't pick them for their service ratings! Lol. I was there for the "we owes" and had them look at the brakes and reverse tilt of mirrors not returning to my set point. No answers for either. I'll try my local RAM dealer who has an impeccable service rating, and the service manager and master tech are "car guys" and often cruise their toys in the same events I bring out the '37 for.
The argument I would use in that case, as i am sure you used maybe, is that the rears have the same type pads... that if the fronts are making the noise, it shouldn't be inconceivable that the rears on some, like yours, are doing it too. And that also, the Star case mentions that a rear set case would be coming at a later date.

You know, it really sucks that people have to make cases and present them... i think I even said to my dealer something like "look, its not like I am making this up...i have better things to do than deal with this stuff. And what wpuld be the benefit of tring to get new brakes for free on a car when the brakes are still bramd new at 800 miles???"

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Seriously... and the fix, as is the case for many many squealing brakes, could be as simple as a heavier dose of brake pad grease. If worse comes to worse and you get nowhere with it at the dealer, you could always go buy some quality brake pad grease for really only a couple bucks, under $5... and take some time in the garage and lay it nice and thick (not so much it squishes out when you put it back together). The assemblies are new and should be easy peasy taking apart and putting back together.

I get we shouldnt have to being under warranty, but it is easy, and can maybe fix that problem.

I just did that a month or two ago on my BMW. It squealed exactly like the truck. Dabbed grease, quiet as a new car now. It was bone dry.

lpdb185

Reaction score
So I took my truck in last week for them to replace front pads per the star case. However, the squeal is still there, just as bad as before. Without going into the details, I had a suspicion they didn't actually do anything to the truck. But I looked at the pads myself and they do appear to be the new style pad with the larger groove. I called and confirmed that they did not, however, replace the rotors. And after reading the star case bulletin, it says to only replace the rotors if there are hot spots or there is warping. Mine have neither, so they didn't replace them. Nonetheless, the squeal is still there. Has anyone else had their pads replaced and the squeal came back? Or did anyone else have JUST the pads replaced, not the rotors too?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
So I took my truck in last week for them to replace front pads per the star case. However, the squeal is still there, just as bad as before. Without going into the details, I had a suspicion they didn't actually do anything to the truck. But I looked at the pads myself and they do appear to be the new style pad with the larger groove. I called and confirmed that they did not, however, replace the rotors. And after reading the star case bulletin, it says to only replace the rotors if there are hot spots or there is warping. Mine have neither, so they didn't replace them. Nonetheless, the squeal is still there. Has anyone else had their pads replaced and the squeal came back? Or did anyone else have JUST the pads replaced, not the rotors too?
Are you absolutely positive the squeal isnt coming from rear brakes?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That’s a bummer. Def need rotors replaced if squeal is still there. Only think I can think off.
Mine is squeal free after new pads and rotors. Been three months since they did this.

Users who are viewing this thread