5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 or RAM 1500? Here to help get this sorted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow there is so much wrong in this thread. It's a simple fact that turbo engines are more stressed and working harder to produce the same HP, than a N/A engine. This is not a Ford vs Ram issue, it's simply physics. All else being equal, the engine that is less stressed making power is going to last longer.

I'm not anti turbo at all, in a little puddle jumper or cuv they can work great. But in a truck or something that I'm going to work hard and hope to keep around for a while, I'm not going to get a turbo 6 banger if I can help it. V8 all the way.

And yes, Ford feels the same and literally everybody is taking the 7.3 seriously. That engine is just the latest in a war that is heating up in the work truck segment, expect GM and Ram to up the game there as well (without using turbos).

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Turbos do not add more stress. They recycle spent exhaust gases and turn that back into energy to help drive the motor.
How does that add more stress?
The entire point Of turbo motors from the get go was to add efficiency to a motor. If the vehicles have always historically given better gas mileage with turbos, how does that equate to the engine working harder?

Superchargers make engines work harder, not turbos.
Again this is pretty common logic and info. This is not made up. Lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I find funny. Back in the 80s when the turbo 4cyl GLH GLHS Shelby charger etc. Where giving the mustang and Camaro fits...ford guys said turbos are stupid. They wont last.

Now fords have the turbo and they tell the ram guys their v8s wont last.

Just an observation. Carry on.

I am glad my truck decision making is easy.

I only buy RAMS. I NO longer see a need for a diesel. I have to have 4x4. I appreciate an 8 foot bed and have come to enjoy the laid back nature of vinyl seats and rubber floor

So RAM HeavyDuty with the HEMI in a TRADESMAN trim.

And after saying I would never own a white truck I have so now color isnt even an issue.

Stress less drive more.

Good times

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Who is telling Ram guys their v8’s won’t last?
I have not seen that comment. Any engine of any variety can last hundreds of thousands of miles as long as maintained properly.
Ford makes some great v8’s but again as someone who owns all flavors of vehicles and engines, Ford’s money maker and what is keeping them afloat is there Ecoboost program. Plain and simple.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was a blanket statement.

Again I forget that sarcasm is lost on thr internet.

I have dwelled into the rabbit hole that is TRX vs Raptor memes the other day.

Just an observation.

Continue with the regularly scheduled programming.

My vote is the RAM. HEMI. with or without eTorque. LARAMIE sport with ORG. 3.92 rear.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

Just an observation.

My vote is the RAM. HEMI. with or without eTorque. LARAMIE sport with ORG. 3.92 rear.
Oh I can only imaging the TRX vs Raptor posts are very comedic.
Dodge gets my respect and has some serious balls putting that motor in like everything. I applaud the effort being a HP junky.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fords turbo 3.5 and 2.7 are great little motors. Ram has nothing like them, but that's it. That's the only thing Ford has going for them. Ram gives you more bang for your buck!
They are very good and fast! No question there. But I was just speaking to the long term reliability.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just an observation.

I saw the video with the TRX smoking every other truck they had in their lineup. Fun to watch!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turbos do not add more stress. They recycle spent exhaust gases and turn that back into energy to help drive the motor.
How does that add more stress?
The entire point Of turbo motors from the get go was to add efficiency to a motor. If the vehicles have always historically given better gas mileage with turbos, how does that equate to the engine working harder?

Superchargers make engines work harder, not turbos.
Again this is pretty common logic and info. This is not made up. Lol

I'm not going to argue this any further, just do a simple google search: "turbo vs naturally aspirated durability" without the quotes, and it's all there in black and white for you.

And again; WHY do you think Ford spent millions on a 7.3? Use your head, not your emotions/past love for Ford, and you'll get the answer.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue this any further, just do a simple google search: "turbo vs naturally aspirated durability" without the quotes, and it's all there in black and white for you.

And again; WHY do you think Ford spent millions on a 7.3? Use your head, not your emotions/past love for Ford, and you'll get the answer.
Another one I just thought of...it's interesting that Ford charges more for the 5.0 V8 over the supposedly "top of the line" 3.5 Ecoboost...even they know the V8 is more durable lol.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

They spent that money for guys like you that are close minded on forced induction. I bet they sell more Ecoboosts in a day than they sell 7.3’s the entire year.
Again, it’s not like the 7.3 was or is their only v8 offering. Lol.
I don’t need to google search false info. I know the actual answer.
I’m not here to argue either, but some of the population usually guys in their late 40’s+ with no mechanical background other than how to hand tune a carb make these kinds of statements.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Another one I just thought of...it's interesting that Ford charges more for the 5.0 V8 over the supposedly "top of the line" 3.5 Ecoboost...even they know the V8 is more durable lol.
They do? Because I thought both my Ecoboosts cost more than the Coyote. I’d have to check the online configuration again though.
Otherwise there is no relevance to the cost to its reliability.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do? Because I thought both my Ecoboosts cost more than the Coyote. I’d have to check the online configuration again though.
Otherwise there is no relevance to the cost to its reliability.
Nope. Because I was ready to buy a new 2020 F150 until they told me that it's and extra $2,500 (I think) for the 5.0 over the 3.5. It was either $2,500 or $3,500 more...can't remember. But it pissed me off enough to buy a Ram lol. Are you sure there's no relevance? I beg to differ...because why else would it cost more? It's not more expensive to make, it has a lower HP/torque, towing rating...why does it cost more..?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Nope. Because I was ready to buy a new 2020 F150 until they told me that it's and extra $2,500 (I think) for the 5.0 over the 3.5. It was either $2,500 or $3,500 more...can't remember. But it pissed me off enough to buy a Ram lol. Are you sure there's no relevance? I beg to differ...because why else would it cost more? It's not more expensive to make, it has a lower HP/torque, towing rating...why does it cost more..?

this is why we cannot have intelligent conversations. Because guys like you make up false info and spread it trying to sway brand loyalty to your interests.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 10

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is why we cannot have intelligent conversations. Because guys like you make up false info and spread it trying to sway brand loyalty to your interests.
Guy...this was at the dealership, not online. I never bothered to look online after the sales guy told me the V8 was more expensive. So suck it.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Guy...this was at the dealership, not online. I never bothered to look online after the sales guy told me the V8 was more expensive. So suck it.
Once again, I will point out you are speaking from heresay and not experience. You understood something wrong. Trust me on that. No dealer is going to upcharge a V8. If they did it was to force you away from it because they didn't have any and wanted to force you into what they have on the lot, but that doesn't even make sense. So you either misunderstood, or you went to a shady dealer, or you are talking out of your ***.
From your prior posts, I would go with the latter as my guess

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once again, I will point out you are speaking from heresay and not experience. You understood something wrong. Trust me on that. No dealer is going to upcharge a V8. If they did it was to force you away from it because they didn't have any and wanted to force you into what they have on the lot, but that doesn't even make sense. So you either misunderstood, or you went to a shady dealer, or you are talking out of your ***.
From your prior posts, I would go with the latter as my guess
You weren't there so obviously you have a wild and uneducated imagination. The guy stood right in front of me and said if you want one with the V8 it's going to cost (approximately) $2,500 more. This was with the same trim and options too. So maybe it's because the V8 sales volume here in Vegas is higher than the 3.5 or 2.7. Did you think of that? Of course not ...because you'd rather insinuate instead of actually listening to people and doing actual research. Good talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread