5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 or RAM 1500? Here to help get this sorted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Stress/strained: ....additional force (more than what is required) to provide desired outcome.
Turbo: ... excessive heat AND force used to provide boost to engine cylinders in order to excessively put pressure onto said cylinders for added power. Yes?
Technical definitions be damned...we all know what the other is saying, playing dumb isn't going to solidify a lack of argument.
Excessive pressure? If the engine didn’t have a/the turbo(s) it wouldn’t make the same power. So what’s excessive is driving hard, whether turbo or not.

The turbo isn’t “working the engine any harder,” your foot is.

They use turbos because they are effective and efficient. Not because they are inefficient and reduce work output.
Maybe we should start with... “The argument is that people dislike turbos because they don’t want to work on them. By adding more components to a system the rate of failure goes up.”
That is something I do agree on.

Conclusion:
A turbo does not make an engine work harder. Acknowledge it.

I am more spent here than I am after a third orgasm. You’re welcome for the image.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excessive pressure? If the engine didn’t have a/the turbo(s) it wouldn’t make the same power. So what’s excessive is driving hard, whether turbo or not.

The turbo isn’t “working the engine any harder,” your foot is.

They use turbos because they are effective and efficient. Not because they are inefficient and reduce work output.
Maybe we should start with... “The argument is that people dislike turbos because they don’t want to work on them. By adding more components to a system the rate of failure goes up.”
That is something I do agree on.

Conclusion:
A turbo does not make an engine work harder. Acknowledge it.

I am more spent here than I am after a third orgasm. You’re welcome for the image.
I already explained it...and that was taken from online sources that are creditable to automotive engineering so w/e.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stress/strained: ....additional force (more than what is required) to provide desired outcome.
Turbo: ... excessive heat AND force used to provide boost to engine cylinders in order to excessively put pressure onto said cylinders for added power. Yes?
Technical definitions be damned...we all know what the other is saying, playing dumb isn't going to solidify a lack of argument.
Explained perfectly here....in my earlier post. Cheers! I'm done with this thread as I've already proven my point.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a 2.7 liter engine and a 5.7 liter engine are both producing 400 ft/lbs of torque, then basic physics dictates that the 2.7 liter engine is experiencing higher levels of force than the 5.7 liter engine somewhere. Where those forces are and what they are I don’t exactly know. But the 2.7 liter engine is definitely doing more of something that’s for sure.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at a 2021 lariat with the 3.5l hybrid, 12” screen, all the bed outlets, pano roof, and adaptive cruise and I ended up around 66-67k but the incentives were horrible and my work discount was not nearly as good as it is with ram. I would’ve been around 62k plus tax and fees.

I got more options, but less power, in the Ram for 54k plus tax and fees. Saved probably 8k-10k depending on their trade in value. Plus being a first year model I was skeptical. At that money I’d have bought a 2020 2500 Laramie Cummins.

we shall have to see how it goes in the next four or five years for a refresh for me to rethink brands.

Only dislike on the ram is fuel mileage and engine noise.
First time ram owner, I think the hemi has a lot of power. Not sure why anyone would need more power, unless your pulling heavy loads all the time and if that’s the case a 2500 would be the best choice. Mpg might get better with more miles. I use 87 but I’ve been told you’d gain 1-2 mpg with 93. But the extra cost equals it out. I have the etorque, I can get 17-18 in town, unless stopping and going a lot, however mine shuts off at stop lights! I also looked at the 2021 lariat. Dealers were unsure of when I could even get one and like you 5,000 - 8,000 more with less options over the ram.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Explained perfectly here....in my earlier post. Cheers! I'm done with this thread as I've already proven my point.
You’ve proven that your original debate (declaring that turbos inherently “make an engine work harder”) is false, and you now acknowledge that stress and strain are a relatable to a force.
I’m glad you elevated to physics and statics. Come join me when you get to at least bachelors level.

1608603515933.jpeg

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
If a 2.7 liter engine and a 5.7 liter engine are both producing 400 ft/lbs of torque, then basic physics dictates that the 2.7 liter engine is experiencing higher levels of force than the 5.7 liter engine somewhere. Where those forces are and what they are I don’t exactly know. But the 2.7 liter engine is definitely doing more of something that’s for sure.

The fact is that if both motors (hypothetical naturally aspirated creating 400 ft lbs at X RPM and a turbo engine creating 400 ft lbs at X RPM), are moving the same distance and both creating the same force (at X RPM) they are by definition doing the same amount of work.

work = force x distance

Neither motor is “working harder.”

Boost impacting stress and strain are different but that’s not what the argument started as.

Where we are now, I give up.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ve proven that your original debate (declaring that turbos inherently “make an engine work harder”) is false, and you now acknowledge that stress and strain are a relatable to a force.
I’m glad you elevated to physics and statics. Come join me when you get to at least bachelors level.

View attachment 77241
Jusr FYI....your comment didn't even make any sense. You know what I said and what I didn't say. Try all you want to twist my words around. You still obviously don't know anything about how engines actually work.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Jusr FYI....your comment didn't even make any sense. You know what I said and what I didn't say. Try all you want to twist my words around. You still obviously don't know anything about how engines actually work.
1608634144089.jpeg
If I am not making someone else’s life more difficult I am not doing my job.

You can quote and post all your comments at the end, but I do know you’re wrong.

Thread officially derailed.

I’ll take a turbo motor over naturally aspirated if sized appropriately. Only thing I do prefer about the v8 is the exhaust tone vs. a smaller displacement v6 tone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/