5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 or RAM 1500? Here to help get this sorted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2021 lariat with the 3.5l hybrid, 12” screen, all the bed outlets, pano roof, and adaptive cruise and I ended up around 66-67k but the incentives were horrible and my work discount was not nearly as good as it is with ram. I would’ve been around 62k plus tax and fees.

I got more options, but less power, in the Ram for 54k plus tax and fees. Saved probably 8k-10k depending on their trade in value. Plus being a first year model I was skeptical. At that money I’d have bought a 2020 2500 Laramie Cummins.

we shall have to see how it goes in the next four or five years for a refresh for me to rethink brands.

Only dislike on the ram is fuel mileage and engine noise.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
So I just came from an Ecoboost F150 to a Ram with the Hemi+Etq.
While the Ram is new, I can comment on the F150
The Ecoboost is a tremendously awesome motor. I had the 2.7 in my 18 and while the weight may not be that high, towing my 18ft bowrider and trailer with the boat fully loaded and truck with a few people and coolers and such, that little thing gave me ZERO issues towing. I have towed a few hours each way getting to bigger lakes with it and towed like 5 hours home with my boat it nothing but crazy high altitude mountain roads and the Ecoboost just took it and smiled.
I saw 18mpg towing the boat home because I was going slower. Normal towing though I would see 12.5-14.5mpg towing depending on gas used.

My 21 I ordered the 3.5 just because why not? I figured I may get a larger boat and a camper so maybe it might not have been a bad idea. Ford could not get trucks on the lot though so I begrudglingly moved to a V8 Ram.
I do not think the RAM will come even close to holding a wick to the 2.7 in gas mileage. It will probably closer match the 3.5 if even that to be honest. It really depends on how you drive.
That being said, I know guys that have said their ram with a Hemi tows like a champ though, so either or is a good choice.
I will say from personal experience though, your money goes further with Ram and you will actually get solid deals. Its apparent they want to move trucks and Ford doesn't. You are not getting employee pricing with Ford and honestly lucky to even get anything off MSRP on a 21 if you can even find one. Most of the 20's they haven't even discounted yet

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I think the 10 speed has improved their gas mileage some over the older Ford 6 speed that I had. Now the 10 speed peeps don’t seem to be super pleased with the transmission overall, thats a lot of gears to be hunting through... Can you imagine the rebuild price on that? Shudder.
I had the first iteration of the 10 spd. It honestly was not bad. You never really felt it hunt. I will say though my gripe from the day it came off the lot is that 4th gear never felt right. Any time I ever had a jerk or clunk or drug out gear change, it was ALWAYS 4th gear related. Otherwise, it was super smooth

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From April 7, 2020 torquenews.com:

“Another Recall Issued On 2020 Ford F-150 and 2020 Ford Ranger Regarding Transmissions​

Ford issues a safety recall on select models of F-150, Ranger and Expedition regarding 10-speed automatic transmission. Many issues over the years have surrounded this transmission including numerous recalls and class action lawsuits.

Other Issues Regarding 10R80 10-speed automatic
On January 19, 2020 a class-action lawsuit was filed (Orndorff, et al., v. Ford Motor Company) alleging that “Ford knew or should have known about the alleged transmission problems that cause hard shifting, jerking, lunging and hesitation between gears.”

This is all part of many complaints on forums amongst F-150 owners regarding the 10R80 10-speed automatic transmission found in many 13th Generation F-150 vehicles that result in hard shifting and inconsistent performance from this transmission. The latest recall is just more evidence involving the ongoing issue over these transmissions.”
End of copied article portions

So there are issues with the 10 speed, yet as with any reported problem not all owners have it. Can’t just throw rocks at Ford for this, we have our own issues with RAM, the ac blend door problem comes to mind...
At least we don’t have the Ford “frozen” door lock to worry about.

silver billet

Reaction score
So I just came from an Ecoboost F150 to a Ram with the Hemi+Etq.
While the Ram is new, I can comment on the F150
The Ecoboost is a tremendously awesome motor. I had the 2.7 in my 18 and while the weight may not be that high, towing my 18ft bowrider and trailer with the boat fully loaded and truck with a few people and coolers and such, that little thing gave me ZERO issues towing. I have towed a few hours each way getting to bigger lakes with it and towed like 5 hours home with my boat it nothing but crazy high altitude mountain roads and the Ecoboost just took it and smiled.
I saw 18mpg towing the boat home because I was going slower. Normal towing though I would see 12.5-14.5mpg towing depending on gas used.

My 21 I ordered the 3.5 just because why not? I figured I may get a larger boat and a camper so maybe it might not have been a bad idea. Ford could not get trucks on the lot though so I begrudglingly moved to a V8 Ram.
I do not think the RAM will come even close to holding a wick to the 2.7 in gas mileage. It will probably closer match the 3.5 if even that to be honest. It really depends on how you drive.
That being said, I know guys that have said their ram with a Hemi tows like a champ though, so either or is a good choice.
I will say from personal experience though, your money goes further with Ram and you will actually get solid deals. Its apparent they want to move trucks and Ford doesn't. You are not getting employee pricing with Ford and honestly lucky to even get anything off MSRP on a 21 if you can even find one. Most of the 20's they haven't even discounted yet

The issue with ecoboost is not power, but durability. They're not work horse motors, and they're wound up to 11 to get the power they do out of such small displacement.

Give me a lazy N/A v8 any day, all else being equal it will always outlive the high strung turbo.

Remember, even Ford does not turbo charge their "real trucks", their F250/F350. Instead they spent millions developing a new 7.3 big block v8.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
The issue with ecoboost is not power, but durability. They're not work horse motors, and they're wound up to 11 to get the power they do out of such small displacement.

Give me a lazy N/A v8 any day, all else being equal it will always outlive the high strung turbo.

Remember, even Ford does not turbo charge their "real trucks", their F250/F350. Instead they spent millions developing a new 7.3 big block v8.

I feel the opposite about wound up to 11 turbo 2.7l and lazy v8.

I think the turbo 6 cylinders have a lot more ‘headroom’ or capacity on the table than the naturally aspirated v8. Proven by getting 60+hp out of the turbo six from just a tune and maybe 25hp on a v8 tune. (Blanket statement to follow) I would say the v8s are not as over engineered and have to work harder for the same output, that’s why everything’s going turbo.

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Reaction score
From April 7, 2020 torquenews.com:

“Another Recall Issued On 2020 Ford F-150 and 2020 Ford Ranger Regarding Transmissions​

Ford issues a safety recall on select models of F-150, Ranger and Expedition regarding 10-speed automatic transmission. Many issues over the years have surrounded this transmission including numerous recalls and class action lawsuits.

Other Issues Regarding 10R80 10-speed automatic
On January 19, 2020 a class-action lawsuit was filed (Orndorff, et al., v. Ford Motor Company) alleging that “Ford knew or should have known about the alleged transmission problems that cause hard shifting, jerking, lunging and hesitation between gears.”

This is all part of many complaints on forums amongst F-150 owners regarding the 10R80 10-speed automatic transmission found in many 13th Generation F-150 vehicles that result in hard shifting and inconsistent performance from this transmission. The latest recall is just more evidence involving the ongoing issue over these transmissions.”
End of copied article portions

So there are issues with the 10 speed, yet as with any reported problem not all owners have it. Can’t just throw rocks at Ford for this, we have our own issues with RAM, the ac blend door problem comes to mind...
At least we don’t have the Ford “frozen” door lock to worry about.
Don't be too quick to judge. I had my 21 Ram less than 24 hours and threw a cel at 77 miles and now the remote start is disabled as well due to the cel.
All manufacturers have issues.

GM uses that same 10R80 as well. So not sure why they would not be part of the same suit?

PM-Performance

Reaction score

Is this from direct experience with turbos? Because I have owned LOTS of turbo vehicles and I will 10/10 take a turbo vehicle. I know guys with well over 200k on their ecoboosts with no issues. I also have had a turbo replaced on my Escape at like 50k miles. So **** happens.

Ford most certainly does run turbos on their "rea; trucks" Last I checked Diesels were turbo were they not? That 7.3l,. no one takes seriously. I have heard nill about them. I cannot imagine they are even really selling remotely well.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Is this from direct experience with turbos? Because I have owned LOTS of turbo vehicles and I will 10/10 take a turbo vehicle. I know guys with well over 200k on their ecoboosts with no issues. I also have had a turbo replaced on my Escape at like 50k miles. So **** happens.

Ford most certainly does run turbos on their "rea; trucks" Last I checked Diesels were turbo were they not? That 7.3l,. no one takes seriously. I have heard nill about them. I cannot imagine they are even really selling remotely well.
The most I have heard about the 7.3l is when people boost it lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel the opposite about wound up to 11 turbo 2.7l and lazy v8.

I think the turbo 6 cylinders have a lot more ‘headroom’ or capacity on the table than the naturally aspirated v8. Proven by getting 60+hp out of the turbo six from just a tune and maybe 25hp on a v8 tune. (Blanket statement to follow) I would say the v8s are not as over engineered and have to work harder for the same output, that’s why everything’s going turbo.
The turbos make the V6 work harder. V8 reliability is never questionable compared to turbo engines.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
The turbos make the V6 work harder. V8 reliability is never questionable compared to turbo engines.
I kindly disagree. Have you ever noticed turbo variants get better gas mileage? It is because the engine works less.
The turbos make the engine more efficient my friend.

The things coming up in here about turbos are very “old school” “no experience “ type responses.
I have multiple turbo vehicles, blown v8’s and Na v8’s. I will still say 11/10 I will take turbocharged vehicles all day long.
Of Ford did not have the Ecoboost, they would be irrelevant

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kindly disagree. Have you ever noticed turbo variants get better gas mileage? It is because the engine works less.
The turbos make the engine more efficient my friend.

The things coming up in here about turbos are very “old school” “no experience “ type responses.
I have multiple turbo vehicles, blown v8’s and Na v8’s. I will still say 11/10 I will take turbocharged vehicles all day long.
Of Ford did not have the Ecoboost, they would be irrelevant
Not even close dude... it's a smaller engine. I guarantee while those turbos are boosting...you're getting maybe 8 mpg (because those turbos are pushing the engine beyond it's limits for that short time). That's why it's only better MPGs at highway speeds. My Hemi gets the same city AND highway mileage as a 2.7 EcoBoost. I've already posted the proof of that on a MPG thread ...feel free to look for it.
At the end of the day...even Ford techs don't want anything to do with the EB's and they choose the 5.0 every time.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Wow this is funny as my current (3) vehicles are all turbocharged, sorry carry on folks lol.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Now you’re talking my language, no matter what we feel folks at least we are keeping the conversation active lol..

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another point....Ford is the only one doing the full lineup of Turbo truck engines, there's probably a reason no one else is doing it.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
At low RPMs such as when causing ‘grunt,’ out of boost the turbos make the engine work harder. In boost, I disagree.

You may work harder to fart in an environment with higher ambient pressure but you’re also getting air forced in you at a higher pressure therefore negligible or irrelevant. Compare to someone at see level and someone 5000 feet above.

My analogies are amazing, I know.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At low RPMs such as when causing ‘grunt,’ out of boost the turbos make the engine work harder. In boost, I disagree.

You may work harder to fart in an environment with higher ambient pressure but you’re also getting air forced in you at a higher pressure therefore negligible or irrelevant. Compare to someone at see level and someone 5000 feet above.

My analogies are amazing, I know.
Lol ok...you have a point regarding low RPMs for sure. But those turbos shoot up the RPMs so fast that over time I think it has a degrading attribute regarding long term reliability. Did you watch that video I posted about the Ford Techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread