5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 or RAM 1500? Here to help get this sorted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you want me to google search? They are plenty reliable. I know plenty of guys with 200-300k miles on eco's with little to no issues. Pretty much like all other motors. It doesnt matter what it is, if you take care of it, it will last.

Just because you do not see them used for work trucks, does not mean they are not. Our definition of a work truck may be different, but most "work trucks" are stripped lowest model cheapest trucks they can get, or typically diesels as far as I have seen around the plants I work at. I have never seen a Coyote based or Godzilla based work truck around any plants. It does not mean there are not any, just means like from your end, I have not seen any.

You guys seem to get a little too upset over a differing opinion. Sorry we disagree. But again the Ecoboost is clearly Ford's bread and butter. So to say Ford knows they are not as reliable as NA and that is why they make the Godzilla is a silly comment IMHO.
300k miles on a EcoBoost? Yea ok...
"But where's the proof???" Lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the funniest thing I've read. Ford has no problems convincing the majority of people to buy their turbos. Heck it's even in their halo product (raptor). The reason they don't put turbos in their work trucks has nothing to do with me, it's simply physics. They are not as durable when worked. Neither are they fuel efficient when worked.

You didn't try the google search did you? That's why I'm not arguing any further, because you simply don't want to educate yourself.
Forget it...he doesn't know how turbos work and doesn't want to know. Ignorance is apparently bliss in his case.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 60 Fords at work - f150,250 and 350 a d all the 150's have the 5.0 a.d the 250 and 350's have the 6.2. None of this has to do with anything other than the price for a work truck version - Ford usually beats Ram and Chevy of pricing for a stripped down work model and unless you tow a lot the gas 5.0 and 6.2 are the cheapest engines to buy.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 60 Fords at work - f150,250 and 350 a d all the 150's have the 5.0 a.d the 250 and 350's have the 6.2. None of this has to do with anything other than the price for a work truck version - Ford usually beats Ram and Chevy of pricing for a stripped down work model and unless you tow a lot the gas 5.0 and 6.2 are the cheapest engines to buy.
The 3.3 V6 is the cheapest for Ford base work trucks. We have 3...believe me, our management is too cheap to buy anything else. Unless you mean just for V8's...?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lease them through Enterprise who buys them from Ford and I work for government so we're talking government pricing on the purchase. I look at the ecoboosts and the 5.0 everytime and for my pricing the 5.0 has always been cheapest for a crew cab, 6.5' box 4x4 f150.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The most recent order I made RAM finally beat Ford and Chevy on price - I think because of the f150 redesign for 2021. In the Ram the hemi was cheaper than the 3.6 on govt fleet pricing - seems weird but the world of fleet sales doesn't always make sense and govt vs private pricing is also different.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I figured it was due to pricing. I drive work vehicles as well and see the other shops vehicles I deal with. The common denominator is price it seems. Lol.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't be too quick to judge. I had my 21 Ram less than 24 hours and threw a cel at 77 miles and now the remote start is disabled as well due to the cel.
All manufacturers have issues.

GM uses that same 10R80 as well. So not sure why they would not be part of the same suit?
Agree that “judging” isn’t correct yet too many Ford owners (I’ve owned more Ford trucks than all other brands combined ) are reporting/having issues. Yes forums are full of “complainers” yet that’s where the first news usually comes from, the forums.

We will likely never know the amount of “quiet recalls” and other such info from manufacturers, (like what did the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 fiascos really cost them), but it was the forums and YT that first reported on it.

Makers can spin or buy favorable press from automotive writers but they can’t control the internet. All brands do have issues yet some designs, generations or years are simply worse than average on repairs.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Wow there is so much wrong in this thread. It's a simple fact that turbo engines are more stressed and working harder to produce the same HP, than a N/A engine. This is not a Ford vs Ram issue, it's simply physics. All else being equal, the engine that is less stressed making power is going to last longer.

I'm not anti turbo at all, in a little puddle jumper or cuv they can work great. But in a truck or something that I'm going to work hard and hope to keep around for a while, I'm not going to get a turbo 6 banger if I can help it. V8 all the way.

And yes, Ford feels the same and literally everybody is taking the 7.3 seriously. That engine is just the latest in a war that is heating up in the work truck segment, expect GM and Ram to up the game there as well (without using turbos).
Everything you say is true ON PAPER.
But one is much smoother than the other when it comes to daily driving.

Stress or strain does not mean “working harder” unless you’re being subjective and making up your own definition of “work” and “hard.”

Regarding “smoother,” my DSG Golf R was by far ‘smoother’ shifting under light and heavy throttle.

Be careful with your blanket statements.

1608582754361.jpeg

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding “smoother,” my DSG Golf R was by far ‘smoother’ shifting under light and heavy throttle.

Wasn’t a blanket statement. There are ‘smooth driving’ gas turbos I’m sure.
I was comparing the 2.7 Ecoboost to the 5.7 Hemi in a half ton pickup. I’ve had both and one is MUCH smoother under light throttle / daily driving conditions.
Perhaps it’s the transmission? I’m not sure.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh I can only imaging the TRX vs Raptor posts are very comedic.
Dodge gets my respect and has some serious balls putting that motor in like everything. I applaud the effort being a HP junky.
Dodge has been about performance for decades. They have had the willingness to push the limits of engines in the past and continue to do so. Now we just need FCA/RAM to give us a better performance option for the 1500...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It took me 2-1/2 years with a 2.7 Ecoboost [while it was impressive at low RPM"s] to come full circle and realize this.
Unbelievable how much nicer/smoother the driving experience is with this heavy N/A V-8.
Pretty sure the largest exodus ever from Ford to Dodge is happening right now.
I left the 2.7 world after one year not because of the lack of any “fun factor” with that motor, it was reading too much on their forums about mid to long-term reliability, coking of the valves (2015 model), need for a catch can, as well as turbo replacement cost concerns. While I really liked my plain ol’ XLT, it simply doesn’t compare with the 19 RAM 5th gen. Even the newly redone 21’ F150 doesn’t compare, and they’ve significantly addressed/upgunned their 2.7 and 3.5 engines power and direct injection wise.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine (Ret.)
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dodge has been about performance for decades. They have had the willingness to push the limits of engines in the past and continue to do so. Now we just need FCA/RAM to give us a better performance option for the 1500...
This. The only thing I'd even consider trading for would be a new 1500 with a hot 6.4.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stress or strain does not mean “working harder” unless you’re being subjective and making up your own definition of “work” and “hard.”

View attachment 77196
What do you think stress or strain means?

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
What do you think stress or strain means?

Stress and strain is what I have from reading comments that are not technically correct.

You guys talking about working harder are not meaning stress or strain on components. Your own comment was “hot temperatures and less reliability = working harder” proves that you’re not talking about the same type of work as the true definition.

Stress and area relate to force which relates to “work.” Not hot, cold, coffee, alcohol or attempts at relating field experience inadequately to technical jargon.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I edited my quote for your reaction.
Stress/strained: ....additional force (more than what is required) to provide desired outcome.
Turbo: ... excessive heat AND force used to provide boost to engine cylinders in order to excessively put pressure onto said cylinders for added power. Yes?
Technical definitions be damned...we all know what the other is saying, playing dumb isn't going to solidify a lack of argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread