5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning Epic tow test fail

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cant wait for all these people with stuffed 100 amp panels call a electrician to install their 240v chargers. Have fun with you 4-7k service upgrade
Expensive but you’ll be doing your part to save the planet.🤣

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your biases are showing again. There's only so many kwh available through a 120v outlet which can handle at most a 12.5a draw.
a 120v outlet isn't enough to determine how much you can draw. It is true most outlets will either be 15 or 20 amps. 20 is the highest common outlet in households.
Cant wait for all these people with stuffed 100 amp panels call a electrician to install their 240v chargers. Have fun with you 4-7k service upgrade
Exactly. I don't have any amps left on my circuit. I have space in my panel, but no juice to power it. Maybe when I have my heaters off, and ACs off I would be able to charge. Who wants to use AC or heat at night (LOL)
You can have 120v circuit outlet with up to 30 amps using 10 gauge wire. Not sure where the 12 amp number came from.
12 amp came from a website that did some theoretical numbers, not sure why they picked 12.
You also can't use a 30 amp circuit, a 30 amp outlet is not the same as a 15-10 amp one. The plug provided with the F150 made for a regular outlet or a 14-50 outlet which is again for 240v NOT 120v.

If you ran a 30 amp circuit to an outlet that the truck could plug in to best case you would melt the outlet, worst case your house would burn down.

It's funny how everyone who is so pro EV for no reason never looks anything up. I have done more googling about this for a truck I could care less about existing just because people are insane.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
a 120v outlet isn't enough to determine how much you can draw. It is true most outlets will either be 15 or 20 amps. 20 is the highest common outlet in households.

Exactly. I don't have any amps left on my circuit. I have space in my panel, but no juice to power it. Maybe when I have my heaters off, and ACs off I would be able to charge. Who wants to use AC or heat at night (LOL)

12 amp came from a website that did some theoretical numbers, not sure why they picked 12.
You also can't use a 30 amp circuit, a 30 amp outlet is not the same as a 15-10 amp one. The plug provided with the F150 made for a regular outlet or a 14-50 outlet which is again for 240v NOT 120v.

If you ran a 30 amp circuit to an outlet that the truck could plug in to best case you would melt the outlet, worst case your house would burn down.

It's funny how everyone who is so pro EV for no reason never looks anything up. I have done more googling about this for a truck I could care less about existing just because people are insane.
Looks like their adapter only supports a standard 15 amp 120v, or a 50 amp 240v camper plug which will have to be wired to a 30 amp double pole breaker because thats the max supported current.

I've been researching them for awhile. So far they have not been feasible for me. We have NO super chargers around here, the range isn't good enough, the cost is way to high, and the grid can't really support it.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score

You're only supposed to load any given circuit to 80%, so 80% of a 15A service is 12A, 80% of a 20A circuit is 16A. Most household circuits aren't loaded anywhere near capacity for their overcurrent devices, so it's pretty easy even on a fully "loaded" panel, to pull the conductor off a circuit loaded at say 3A and move it onto another breaker that's also lightly loaded, and free up the needed poles to run your 30 or 40A 2 pole car charger circuit @240. You shouldn't even need to upgrade the conductor, but that's easy enough to calculate.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score

Nothing is going to burn down if you're using appropriately rated overcurrent devices, conductor and receptacles. 30A @ 240 isn't really a big deal unless you're already driving a bitcoin mine or an indoor grow in your basement off your resi panel.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, an EV scooter or little 3 wheel car or maybe even a hatchback for commuting and errands in town is OK. An EV pickup truck is just ridiculously useless to people who use a pickup truck as a pickup truck.
Once again, but but but with the extremes. Most truck owners, anymore rarely use their trucks as a truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're only supposed to load any given circuit to 80%, so 80% of a 15A service is 12A, 80% of a 20A circuit is 16A. Most household circuits aren't loaded anywhere near capacity for their overcurrent devices, so it's pretty easy even on a fully "loaded" panel, to pull the conductor off a circuit loaded at say 3A and move it onto another breaker that's also lightly loaded, and free up the needed poles to run your 30 or 40A 2 pole car charger circuit @240. You shouldn't even need to upgrade the conductor, but that's easy enough to calculate.
I pop breakers all the time. You can only do so much if you don't live in a brand new house and have 120 service. My I have some circuits that share plugs in my living room, bathroom, and master bedroom. I also power more then lights and read books, so yes I do actually use the power.
Nothing is going to burn down if you're using appropriately rated overcurrent devices, conductor and receptacles. 30A @ 240 isn't really a big deal unless you're already driving a bitcoin mine or an indoor grow in your basement off your resi panel.
We aren't talking about 240, we are talking about running a 30 amp circuit on 120v service to a 20 amp receptacle (not a 30 amp) because that's what the plug from the F-150 is (nema 5-15)
Good way to start a fire.
No one said there would be any problem on a 240 circuit.

All the points you are making have nothing to do with what I posted and you quoted?
Did you even read what you quoted?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most truck owners, anymore rarely use their trucks as a truck.
I just don't get it... Why do so many people here say that
Google link
Just in case clicking is too much ill copy the very first line.
a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops.

I may start a thread titled "How did you use your truck like a truck today" to provide proof. I thought there was already one of those around here?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Google link

I may start a thread titled "How did you use your truck like a truck today" to provide proof. I thought there was already one of those around here?
Why do so many people say that? Because it's true. And sampling the members here is a small fraction of actual owners. Probably more likely to find people in this forum who use their trucks as trucks than the average user.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I pop breakers all the time. You can only do so much if you don't live in a brand new house and have 120 service. My I have some circuits that share plugs in my living room, bathroom, and master bedroom. I also power more then lights and read books, so yes I do actually use the power.

We aren't talking about 240, we are talking about running a 30 amp circuit on 120v service to a 20 amp receptacle (not a 30 amp) because that's what the plug from the F-150 is (nema 5-15)
Good way to start a fire.
No one said there would be any problem on a 240 circuit.

All the points you are making have nothing to do with what I posted and you quoted?
Did you even read what you quoted?
Nothing I said was intended to hurt your feelings, nor was any of it incorrect. God luck with your "popping breakers", clearly you're a master tradesman in addition to your mastery of reading comprehension. Mazel-tov.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Google link

Because according to actual research, most truck owners don’t tow heavy or frequently.

A company called Vision conducts a study annually on 250,000 light truck owners. Here’s what they are finding:

“[Truck owners] might also protest that trucks provide capabilities that other vehicles lack. But, as it turns out, a significant portion of truck owners never use their trucks for these capabilities. According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.”

HemiDude

Reaction score
S
Because according to actual research, most truck owners don’t tow heavy or frequently.

A company called Vision conducts a study annually on 250,000 light truck owners. Here’s what they are finding:

“[Truck owners] might also protest that trucks provide capabilities that other vehicles lack. But, as it turns out, a significant portion of truck owners never use their trucks for these capabilities. According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.”
So effectively, 60,000 of those surveyed owners prefer or need a non-EV truck. I guess as long as Ram offers 25% of it's DT base a legitimate gas engine (since ED won't be an option), they should be fine........

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
S

So effectively, 60,000 of those surveyed owners prefer or need a non-EV truck. I guess as long as Ram offers 25% of it's DT base a legitimate gas engine (since ED won't be an option), they should be fine........
Yeah, you could look at it that way.

I mean, it’s surprising to me that I’m in the minority of pickup truck owners just because I tow a few times per year and occasionally put cargo in the bed, but facts are facts.

And while an EV would suit my needs 350 days per year, I’d need a hybrid of some kind to make a 1,200-mile drive seasonally…sometimes while towing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
S

They are offering that. It's the turbo charged inline 6.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone acting like once the EV RAM is released that will be only option

HemiDude

Reaction score
Everyone acting like once the EV RAM is released that will be only option
Yeah I doubt that will happen. Just a shame to lose the variety of powertrain options we have become accustomed to. Couple that with the likelyhood that the 5.7 goes away before the new I6 has time to accumulate a track record, and I can see the concern.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing I said was intended to hurt your feelings, nor was any of it incorrect. God luck with your "popping breakers", clearly you're a master tradesman in addition to your mastery of reading comprehension. Mazel-tov.
Are you ok?

Source?
When I look up vision I can't find any company related to running studies.
I personally have never been asked so not sure who this company are asking, or what country they are in.

I was able to find this
There are around 284 million vehicles in operation in the US as of Q2 2022.

In 2008 20.57% of vehicles were pickup trucks, and 11.42% are SUVs.

We all know that car sales are down and pickup and SUV sales have increased so i'm sure the number is even higher now but lets use the older number anyways.

That would claim that there are 58.41 MILLION pickup trucks at a minimum in use in the USA right now.

The survey you are clamming exists, claims to of surveyed 250k owners, that would mean they asked 0.04% of owners. Not a very sizable portion of truck owners. I am sure there are 0.04% of truck owners in the USA right now who only use their truck as a sports car based upon that small sample size.

A survey someone did claims out of 0.04% of truck owners, 75% of of that 0.04% use their trucks for towing, leaving 0.01% of truck owners not using their trucks as trucks.

Yes 0.01% of truck owners don't use their trucks as trucks.
Yeah I doubt that will happen. Just a shame to lose the variety of powertrain options we have become accustomed to. Couple that with the likelyhood that the 5.7 goes away before the new I6 has time to accumulate a track record, and I can see the concern.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread