5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning Epic tow test fail

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With that large of a battery pack, the carbon penalty for producing the hummer will negate any emissions savings over the life of the vehicle. Plus you’d get what, 100 miles towing?, and have to charge it for 6 hours to get back to 80%? Just speculating on the numbers. I’m not an EV expert.
It sounds like GM has developed a unique charging technique for their Ultium batteries that can provide “100 miles range in 10 minutes”.

The Hummer is less of a “practical” application and more of a showcase. But if you take that same battery and put it a vehicle that weighs a third less…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With that large of a battery pack, the carbon penalty for producing the hummer will negate any emissions savings over the life of the vehicle. Plus you’d get what, 100 miles towing?, and have to charge it for 6 hours to get back to 80%? Just speculating on the numbers. I’m not an EV expert.
Most of the fast chargers can get you to 75-80% in 1/2 hour. It's the final 20-25% where they slow the charge rate down to protect the battery.

fusion213

Reaction score
Most of the quick charging stations can get the battery back to 75-80% in 1/2 hour. The last 25% they slow the charge rate to protect battery

Correct.

It’s CC - CV charging. Constant Current and Constant Voltage.

It slows down once you hit your setpoint voltage so that the cells don’t overvolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most of the fast chargers can get you to 75-80% in 1/2 hour. It's the final 20-25% where they slow the charge rate down to protect the battery.
1/2 hour from 0 to 80% on a 210kWh battery?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Based on GM’s claim of “100 miles of range in 10 minutes “, it must be close to that…but only with the most powerful fast chargers.
Damn. That must be alot of amps. Those charging stations must have a 1000 amp electricity service to feed them all. Unless it’s one meter per charger.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Takes less than 5 minutes to charge up my 33 gallon fuel cell that’ll go almost 8 hrs at 70 mph.😆
That's cool, so costs you over $100 to go 500 miles. Can go further than that for less than $100 with an EV. Might take a little longer, but those doing long trips in EVs probably aren't I'm a hurry to get there, and just enjoy the drive. Do some site seeing or something while the car charges. Kind of like back in the old days of route 66 where is was more about the things you saw on the drive than the destination.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's cool, so costs you over $100 to go 500 miles. Can go further than that for less than $100 with an EV. Might take a little longer, but those doing long trips in EVs probably aren't I'm a hurry to get there, and just enjoy the drive. Do some site seeing or something while the car charges. Kind of like back in the old days of route 66 where is was more about the things you saw on the drive than the destination.
Obviously I was kidding around. Don’t be so darn serious all the time. I’m just trying to lighten up the mood here a bit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously I was kidding around. Don’t be so darn serious all the time. I’m just trying to lighten up the mood here a bit.
Oh, I knew you were, but others might not and would think so time with the EV bashing

RamSteel

Reaction score
I have a lot of friends that have either gone full EV or added one to the stable. Not a single one of them has complained about them but they are also living in houses, have the resources to wire for optimal charging, etc. They're fun as heck to drive and will blow the doors off anything ICE. I have Ram TRX and that F150 will smoke it. I bought my TRX knowing I had limited towing and hauling capacity but certainly better than the F150. The EV is fun but it's also soulless. I'm not ready to "plan" my trip in an EV as I like to just get in and go. The sound of a V8 is just a part of what I love about driving. Driving is something we do a lot of and the experience of driving is why we buy certain models.

I have a 392 Rubicon, C8 Corvette, Ram TRX, and a Grand Cherokee for just me and the wife...we're a carbon nightmare :) plus boat, mowers, and other gas-burning nonsense :) I would love to have the next generation Corvette e-Ray but that's going to be stupid expensive but purpose-built to be stupid fun.

The day is coming when EVs will surpass the ICE footprint and all or most of the issues or naysaying will be replaced by more and more acceptance. We're decades away from that shift. Some of the arguments against EVs are just flat-out wrong but it's not worth the energy to dispute the claims as those that are against will stack the deck and those that are for will stack the deck.

PS We do have a bunch of Ryobi products so we're doing our part :)

RamSteel

Reaction score
Now there's a debate I can sink my teeth into.

View attachment 139418

Well, Ryobi is cheaper and has a greater inventory of tools and devices that take advantage of their batteries. Dewalt is just overpriced. Just having the mini air compressors in my vehicles makes them a win. I've only had one batter fail in all my years and it was promptly replaced by Ryobi. Also, like the portable plug option, we've them to power all kinds of things for hours without having to run a power chord.

I have not tow tested any of the batteries.

I have inflated tires on a truck that had Dewalt tools in it :)

1663595085204.png 1663595173031.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of friends that have either gone full EV or added one to the stable. Not a single one of them has complained about them but they are also living in houses, have the resources to wire for optimal charging, etc. They're fun as heck to drive and will blow the doors off anything ICE. I have Ram TRX and that F150 will smoke it. I bought my TRX knowing I had limited towing and hauling capacity but certainly better than the F150. The EV is fun but it's also soulless. I'm not ready to "plan" my trip in an EV as I like to just get in and go. The sound of a V8 is just a part of what I love about driving. Driving is something we do a lot of and the experience of driving is why we buy certain models.

I have a 392 Rubicon, C8 Corvette, Ram TRX, and a Grand Cherokee for just me and the wife...we're a carbon nightmare :) plus boat, mowers, and other gas-burning nonsense :) I would love to have the next generation Corvette e-Ray but that's going to be stupid expensive but purpose-built to be stupid fun.

The day is coming when EVs will surpass the ICE footprint and all or most of the issues or naysaying will be replaced by more and more acceptance. We're decades away from that shift. Some of the arguments against EVs are just flat-out wrong but it's not worth the energy to dispute the claims as those that are against will stack the deck and those that are for will stack the deck.

PS We do have a bunch of Ryobi products so we're doing our part :)
I have a Milwaukee 18v fuel trimmer which is far better than any gas trimmer I have ever used. The 8.0 battery that came with it lasts iver three uses of my yard doing the entire fence line. Has two selectable speeds full trigger speeds. The low speed works great along the fence and keeps from snapping line hitting the slat like every other trimmer.

Both my push mower and my riding mower are gas though. Mainly because it's one of those things where it's not worth buying a new mower to replace what I have that works.

Users who are viewing this thread