5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning Epic tow test fail

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Future RAM EV is supposed to have a game changer (their words) range extender, which is likely a gas generator of some sort.

Apparently Ford is working on a similar extender built into a modular unit made to look like a truck bed tool box.

Either way, if you are towing, stay away from EVs for now.

HemiDude

Reaction score
OMG that is sadly hilarious. No trophy for being the first to market here!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yikes. Guess we won’t be seeing EV big rigs for awhile. Also don’t like that you have to wait an hour to charge to 75% then you’ll have to do that again and again on a long trip. Guess it would be ok for just short commutes to and from work where you could plug it back in for 8 hours when you get home.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the fix. Make all body panels into solar panels. Or, a very large panel on the roof of the camper that connects to the truck somehow that can process a constant flow of power to the batteries. Then, maybe EV’s will be able to tow. But, EV’s towing campers doesn’t make sense to me. What, every couple of hours driving will require multiple stops for multiple hours to recharge as opposed to a 5 minute stop for gas? Trips anywhere will take forever.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yikes. Guess we won’t be seeing EV big rigs for awhile. Also don’t like that you have to wait an hour to charge to 75% then you’ll have to do that again and again on a long trip. Guess it would be ok for just short commutes to and from work where you could plug it back in for 8 hours when you get home.
Electric big rigs already exist

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at a lightning yesterday at a local Ford dealer. They wouldn’t let me drive it, but I spent 20 or so minutes playing around with the electronics. Yawn.

Edit: update- my neighbor brought it home this morning. I’m going to walk over later and then drive it. It’s not a towing test, but I’ll at least see how it drives.

Last edited:

Scoobyj

Reaction score
The Ford Lightning manual says to charge the battery between 90 and 100 percent to get maximum life out of the battery. But they always advertise that it charges to 80 percent in 45 minutes. That last 10 to 20 percent takes hours to get to!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Ford Lightning manual says to charge the battery between 90 and 100 percent to get maximum life out of the battery. But they always advertise that it charges to 80 percent in 45 minutes. That last 10 to 20 percent takes hours to get to!

That goes for generally all EVs however, they all slow down big time at around 80%. To get the best life, you don't want to do 100% often.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sneaky advertising

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably wasn't connected to a supercharger. Have a friend with a Mustang Mach-E that drove from Vegas to Omaha. When you program your trip into the built in navigation, it plots out charging stations and even charge times for you. He said the longest he ever stopped during the drive time was 1/2 hour. Then topped off over night.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably wasn't connected to a supercharger. Have a friend with a Mustang Mach-E that drove from Vegas to Omaha. When you program your trip into the built in navigation, it plots out charging stations and even charge times for you. He said the longest he ever stopped during the drive time was 1/2 hour. Then topped off over night.
That’s potentially misleading though. What was the frequency of his half-hour stops - every 45 minutes?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s potentially misleading though. What was the frequency of his half-hour stops - every 45 minutes?
Well he wasn't towing, it all depended on the charging stations along the route. If there was going to be a big gap, it told him to stop sooner to charge so emhe could make it to next station without worry. And he said it was pretty accurate as far as charge drain between stops. I think he said it averaged about 150 miles between stops, which he didn't mind. Get out and stretch legs, grab a drink, go to bathroom

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Between Las Vegas and Omaha, you would only be able to use one J1772 fast charger for the entire trip. Otherwise, you would have to use Level 2 chargers, which would take hours to recharge. It looks like 30 minutes of charging at a Level 3 station would net you 124 miles of range, so you would have to stop every 1.5 hours.

Level 3 stations.jpg
Charging time.jpg

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Future RAM EV is supposed to have a game changer (their words) range extender, which is likely a gas generator of some sort.

Apparently Ford is working on a similar extender built into a modular unit made to look like a truck bed tool box.

Either way, if you are towing, stay away from EVs for now.
Speaking of "future Ram EV", did any of you sign up for "Ram Revolution"? I did, based on Ram's characterization that I'd get to provide my personal input.
What a scam - in all these months since I signed up, I've received only ONE crappy survey asking super-basic questions. Not a single question about features I'd like to see or suggestions I have. I answered the survey, but in comments I let Ram have it for the scam that is "Ram Revolution", at least as far as individual Ram customers are concerned.
I'm sure Ram consulted fleet owners, which is all to the good, but their characterization that for individual Ram customers joining "Ram Revolution" would be a chance to provide input, was clearly just a marketing scheme/scam to get email addresses. Very disappointing, it lowers my opinion of Ram.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Electric big rigs already exist
Link?

That's all lithium batteries, including your cell phones.

That charging time is BS though, it's probably 20% to 80%, the lower 20% is slower to charge too generally.

Users who are viewing this thread