5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
And the fact of the matter, if towing meant that much to me, Id have bought the 3.92 or a 2500. The towing loss is inconsequential to me as the heaviest thing I tow is a 3000 lb car on a 2000 lb trailer and thats twice a year if that
I barely tow as well. So it didn't matter to me. This truck has all the features and color i wanted, so if it came with 3.92s i would've bought it anyway.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You say that but I'm regularly in the 18's mpg in the city and theres a lot of threads with 3.92 guys complaining that they are in the 14-15's in the city and 17-18 on the highway. Yeah theres some guys saying their 3.92 truck gets 20 on the highway but they leave out the fact that they are driving 57-60 mph to do that

There's absolutely zero logic saying that 3.21's get better MPG's in town. Above 75 mph? Yes.

Last edited:

Jake103

Reaction score
I personally would choose 3.92s no matter what. I had 2 old chevy 1500s with 3.42 gears from factory, anything above stock tire size it was a dog. Gas mileage was great but power wise I always wanted more. Towing was alright. I know they were the old 4 speed but still. I swore to myself I would never again buy a truck that was undergeared. I say it this way I would rather have the deeper gears rather than wondering what a truck with deeper gears would be like, or ever wishing I would have gotten deeper gears. So take that with a grain of salt as you will. With the 8 speed 3.21 vs 3.92 It not like the 4 speed days where it would make a huge difference. If you want gas mileage, 3.21, if you want to run 35-37s or tow a lot 3.92s.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
if you want to tow stuff correctly you should have 4.11 gears minimum anyway

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m guessing many here never owned a truck with big tires in the 80’s-90’s powered by a barely 200 hp motor and major highway gear ratios.🤔

Saying you can’t get the job done with a 395 hp Hemi using 3.21 gears is being a tad bit dramatic. If your at the upper limits of the towing capacity often enough for it to be a problem you obviously shouldn’t have bought a 1/2 ton truck. A Cummin’s would make much more sense.

I’m betting a good number of truck owners tooting their horn about how great 3.92’s are never once left the pavement and never once had anything hitched up to tow. They just drive them like a car and try to look cool and tell everyone how great their 3.92’s are.😆

Last edited:

country4life

Reaction score
I’m guessing many here never owned a truck with big tires in the 80’s-90’s powered by a barely 200 hp motor and major highway gear ratios.🤔

Saying you can’t get the job done with a 395 hp Hemi using 3.21 gears is being a tad bit dramatic. If your at the upper limits of the towing capacity often enough for it to be a problem you obviously shouldn’t have bought a 1/2 ton truck. 3/4 ton with a Cummin’s would make much more sense.

I’m betting a good number of truck owners tooting their horn about how great 3.92’s are never once left the pavement and never once had anything hitched up to tow. They just drive them like a car and try to look cool and tell everyone how great their 3.92’s are.😆
Yup exactly because they have 3.92 it’s the best and 90% of the time there truck box is probly empty and pulling a ghost trailer haha
Hell my 89 suburban with only a 350 small block on 37s still towed travel trailer and my horse trailer and with only 210hp

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
Yes, because they know a man is driving with 3.92 gears. They just sense the Testosterone and then see the huge avocados and melt.
Then the 3.92 guy woke up from his obviously wet dream and realized it wasn’t her melons he was feeling up but actually is own little avocados.😴😲

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, because they know a man is driving with 3.92 gears. They just sense the Testosterone and then see the huge avocados and melt.
A short legged man you mean and that melting is actually them passing out over the hysteria of your "short legs" like a those fainting goats, just to wake up look at you then start laughing again and fainting

Users who are viewing this thread