5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

Bigzway

Reaction score
I like the 3.92 and can only get the "E-locker" with 3.92 . I can pull very well 22 ft. Tri-toon boat like its not there while giving excellent push back down grades and hills while towing and can lock in all four under heavy snow and dock pulls on slick moss with no wheels braking loose what so ever. I rent trailers with machinery already on rental trailers at times and need to pull about 11000 lbs to the house (short trips of about 20 miles) from rental place with out having to use my utility trailer. MPG average in town and out more out than in since I live in Rural area is about 19 to 20 MPG. Love having the ability to pull heavy loads now and then if I need to with out having to pay more for 2500 Ram.
My 2019 with 3.21 gears has the e locker and hill decent is there anyone else with this package

Ramintime

Reaction score
so everyone hates the 3:21? I don’t find it that bad as I don’t tow super heavy
And it seems more responsive and powerful than my 17 limited that had the 3:92 🤷‍♂️

I tow my horse trailer with the 3:21
And on steep hills without a problem

Anyone else getting the job done with the 3:21 gears?
I put a JMS PedalMax in my 2019 Hemi with the 3.21...best thing I ever added to the truck.

Bigzway

Reaction score
I put suspension maxx front stabilizer links on the front one of the best things along with a whole list of things

dano66

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost before my 2017 Ram 1500 Sport w/3.92 gears. The Ford would blow the doors off the Ram any day or the week. Yes I drank the Ecoboost koolaid, around 130k miles the water cooled turbo started leaking, got rid if the Ford and never looked back. 2021 bought a Big horn with 3.21 gears and to be honest can not tell a difference between the gears. The biggest difference I felt was with the peddle commander, I had it on my 2017 and don't have on my 2021. I use shell 93 fuel on all my vehicles.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 with 3.21 gears has the e locker and hill decent is there anyone else with this package
Great! I was told when I ordered mine in 2019 E-locker was only available for the 392 gear. :) Its a very useful option if your pulling a good amount of weight on gravel inclines or grass and dirt as well such as campers. I under stand its very useful in heavy snow, I don't know about the snow but its sure helps on gravel inclines!

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's it exactly, it has enough power and the 3.92 doesn't make it a rocket ship, I bought it for the luxury, ride and something to drive and not think about. It's a great driving truck and a great cruiser.

If I want fast, I'll get in my car and after driving it for a few hours im ready for the trucks refinement and quiet. No amount of power will satisfy me with this truck after driving my car which is reason number one that the 3.92s mean nothing to me.
I would think both gears are great its just what you want to use the truck for depending on the use needs, but back during the 5 speed tranny on the Rams, I had a 2003 Laramie with the 352 gear I think it was and its PERFECT for all around both uses. But the 8 speed came and the middle gear went to the 6 cylinders.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If only I had spent that extra $95 for the 3.92 option i'd be so much more manly.

Joking aside, I got the 3.21 because I drive without trailer 90% of the year. Even with the trailer (6000lbs box camper) it doesn't struggle. If I was towing heavier (12k), like when we plan to travel 6mo every year when I retire, I'm just going to go to a 3500 and relax.

The two gear sets have their uses, thus why there is a choice.
My Son has same year of Ram I do and his has the 321 gear he pulls our 22 ft. Tri-toon just as well as my 392 does! He used my truck when he needs to go rent equipment for our junk around the house for Bobcat or if he wants to haul the larger camper for a long distance. His 321 is fine for everything else and will pull a Bob cat on trailer too, or did last year okay!

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost before my 2017 Ram 1500 Sport w/3.92 gears. The Ford would blow the doors off the Ram any day or the week. Yes I drank the Ecoboost koolaid, around 130k miles the water cooled turbo started leaking, got rid if the Ford and never looked back. 2021 bought a Big horn with 3.21 gears and to be honest can not tell a difference between the gears. The biggest difference I felt was with the peddle commander, I had it on my 2017 and don't have on my 2021. I use shell 93 fuel on all my vehicles.
It seems I hear that quite a bit about the Turbo issue especially at the camp grounds. I think the performance should be better than the 5.7 since HP is more and the 3.5 weighs less too over all, but to me I think any truck with less than a V-8 that is worked hard is just too much over he long run on 6 banger no matter who makes the truck. Had 4 Rams since 2003 only one I have now under 100000 miles plus with no issues and worked fairly hard. No long have a camper so my next new Ram will not be a 392. 321 would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread