5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

Tinshield

Reaction score
Well, after five months and 7600 miles, it finally happened to me today. Slow right turn in a neighborhood and it died. It restarted and the battery only showed 12 volts but it the truck ran fine. Restarted the truck later and everything is fine. It's extremely concerning especially with no real solution after all this time. It appears most issues see happening at low speeds but imagine if this was on the interstate. Few more times of this and the Ram will be traded faster than than it knows what hit it.
"First we've heard of this"

JB429

Reaction score
Had to finally make an account for this one.. :(

2021 Big Horn Etorque 10k miles. I’ve owned it since August and its just recently happened to me on 3 occasions now, all in the neighborhood 1st thing in the morning when slowing down to go over a set of speed bumps. 1st time was over a month ago and thought it was a fluke maybe I hit something while fittling with the settings. Now it’s happened twice in the past week and here I am..

I did happen to notice the screen displayed “Safe Hold Temporarily Disabled” during the whole process. Not sure if I’m completely in this category but definitely seems related. I’m hoping if it does happen again it’s only in the neighborhood and not out on the road like some that I’ve read.

Planning to call my local dealer tomorrow and see if they have the same trending response.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
“Safe Hold Temporarily Disabled” during the whole process. Not sure if I’m completely in this category but definitely seems related. I’m hoping if it does happen again it’s only in the neighborhood and not out on the road like some that I’ve read.
Mine showed the same message when it did it to me. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Have had this issue but it could be related to how the truck handles traction on a snow-packed road. I’ve never stalled but many times I thought it had, this happens after a right turn from a stop sign with traffic coming - not cool. The truck seems to bog pretty hard to the point that I wonder if I have any throttle at all, then it all kind of kicks in. You’d think that with your foot to the floor (in 4 high) it would grab something and go, I’m not talking pure ice on the road. I would also notice the tach reaching for the speedo if it was just spinning the tires (Duratracs). Roads will be dry soon and I guess I’ll know for sure.

jkr21

Reaction score
Another stalling 1500 checking in. Low speed, slight left turn, car "stalls" and requests park to restart. '21 with the eTorque. Has happened 3 times in 10,000 miles. I have a service appointment this weekend, but I'm not expecting much.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Have had this issue but it could be related to how the truck handles traction on a snow-packed road. I’ve never stalled but many times I thought it had, this happens after a right turn from a stop sign with traffic coming - not cool. The truck seems to bog pretty hard to the point that I wonder if I have any throttle at all, then it all kind of kicks in. You’d think that with your foot to the floor (in 4 high) it would grab something and go, I’m not talking pure ice on the road. I would also notice the tach reaching for the speedo if it was just spinning the tires (Duratracs). Roads will be dry soon and I guess I’ll know for sure.
This is not the same issue. You should be seeing the yellow traction control on icon flash when this happens. The 1500 traction control is very, perhaps too aggressive. Turning off traction control will solve this problem.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
This is not the same issue. You should be seeing the yellow traction control on icon flash when this happens. The 1500 traction control is very, perhaps too aggressive. Turning off traction control will solve this problem.
I’ve been looking for it the last few times, so far only eco is lit, I was wondering about that being part of the issue. Perhaps a combo of both features 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edintexas

Reaction score
Just started happening to me as well. 2021 Ram 1500 E-Torque. For 2 days in a row it stalled while I was making a slow right turn. No MIL or warning lights. Just stalled dead and set the parking brake in the middle of the street! Both times I was able to restart it but WTF! On my way to the dealership now. I'll post if there is anything worth updating. Not expecting much.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Just started happening to me as well. 2021 Ram 1500 E-Torque. For 2 days in a row it stalled while I was making a slow right turn. No MIL or warning lights. Just stalled dead and set the parking brake in the middle of the street! Both times I was able to restart it but WTF! On my way to the dealership now. I'll post if there is anything worth updating. Not expecting much.
The right turn scenario seems the most common

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The right turn scenario seems the most common
Add another to the list. Coasting down to a ""country stop" rolling right turn. Interesting, it did start back up on it's own with throttle after a second or so.. This was different than the heart stopping throttle lag. Note sig below, mine is a '21 hemi etorque; it isn't supposed to shut off at 2-3mph like the '22s, even tho I was rolling 10mph. 1.7 miles from cold start, 38-40F air temp.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Add another to the list. Coasting down to a ""country stop" rolling right turn. Interesting, it did start back up on it's own with throttle after a second or so.. This was different than the heart stopping throttle lag. Note sig below, mine is a '21 hemi etorque; it isn't supposed to shut off at 2-3mph like the '22s, even tho I was rolling 10mph. 1.7 miles from cold start, 38-40F air temp.
What octane fuel are you using?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What octane fuel are you using?
87. Did it twice again tonight when cold, although one was just really bad HSL (heart stopping lag). It does feel like what the ‘22 owners describe, but I’m doing 10-15 mph. Has not popped into park yet so I guess I’m lucky.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure it is too lean for that exact condition - 35F and a mile from cold start should still be a rich condition, but they are probably going lean to help light off the converters as early as EPA demands, and with only an EPA approved ECU flash under warranty, there is nothing the dealer can do. Obviously why the '22s just roll up off anyways - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Maybe an update will be available sometime to kick on etorque with a little more authority? Would be nice to get rid of the HSL at the same time. Can't figure out how that is supposed to help with EPA or mpg if I gotta go full retard pulling out in traffic. Guess I'm still satisfied with the truck, and I've flashed 4 previous cars, so looking forward to getting out of warranty.

ShanerM

Reaction score
I've got a 2018 Ram Sport (not sure what eTorque is). I had a stalling issue with mine back in 2019 - brought to dealer, could not replicate issue, sent me on my way. Problem went away on its own.....Then...about a week ago, mid intersection, accelerating...engine quits in middle of turn...then restarts on its own. Its very unsettling. Since then, it has happened twice more. Going into the dealer on Monday to investigate. Not holding my breath.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now that I think about it, something like this happened with less than 100 miles on the truck,.
at a red light. engine turn off and I think the message was shifting to park. my first instinct was, is a door not completely close or seatbelt or something but no.
I had no issue turning it back on and hasn't happened since.

Tinshield

Reaction score
87. Did it twice again tonight when cold, although one was just really bad HSL (heart stopping lag). It does feel like what the ‘22 owners describe, but I’m doing 10-15 mph. Has not popped into park yet so I guess I’m lucky.
I ask out about the octane just looking for some common scenarios

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I've got a 2018 Ram Sport (not sure what eTorque is). I had a stalling issue with mine back in 2019 - brought to dealer, could not replicate issue, sent me on my way. Problem went away on its own.....Then...about a week ago, mid intersection, accelerating...engine quits in middle of turn...then restarts on its own. Its very unsettling. Since then, it has happened twice more. Going into the dealer on Monday to investigate. Not holding my breath.
Any chance you have a Viper alarm in your truck? My 14 had one and every so often it wouldn’t run, couldn’t unlock doors or anything. Remote start wouldn’t turn it over and the key did the same, just nothing.

WC6Q

Reaction score
Just submitted my complaint to the NHTSA. Mine was pretty much the same as everyone else. Without warning when coasting to a right hand turn the engine shut off. Coasted to a stop, put it in park and started back up. Only 3200 miles on my 2021 1500 Laramie (Etourque).

EADracing

Reaction score
Just adding mine to the list. 21 Limited e-torque with 10,000 miles currently at the dealership for going on two weeks now. It has shut off 5 times with the last being a few weeks ago while my GF was driving with her kids. Every instance is after it’s been sitting for awhile and with in 5miles of initially driving it while, usually, making the same right at the exact same intersection. The last time it did it with me driving it I was yielding turning right into a parking lot. The truck shut off, coasted, and slammed itself into park before it had come to a complete stop. I’m sure the transmission just loved that!

I’ve also had issue with cruise control activating by itself. The first time cruise activated by itself I was turning around in a cul de sac and thus doing 5mph or under? Cruise has activated on it’s own on 3 separate occasions. Not sure if this and the shutting off are related but thought I’d mention it.

Technician called me last week to inform me he couldn’t replicate it and then asked what I wanted him to do about it lol. I sent an email to Ram care and it has since been updated to a STAR ticket and the corporate engineers would now be brought in on the issues.

I find it unbelievable that after all of these separate issues, that are identical to each other, a solution has yet to be found. This is my first and more than likely last Dodge, Ram , Jeep product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/