5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I have been advised to pick the vehicle up, and no "STAR" case can be started since they can't replicate it.

Goodbye, Ram! Will never buy another!
If the concern can not be reproduced, what would like them to do?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
from what i understand, when this happens, most of the time, its always after turning right at slow speed, then it stall a few feets later at low speed, at least this is what have been reported by most.

if this is a problem that happens every day, i would understand those who want to sell it.

but for those who it only happen once, or maybe twice, i think its over reacting a little unless it happens at high speed out of no were

but it doesnt seem to be the case, it happen most after turning right at low speed ... so the risk of fatal accident is much less...

maybe give fca the time to fix this... if it dosent happen often then its hardder to fix.... btw this happened once to my truck too, and i still love it

kevinkon

Reaction score
from what i understand, when this happens, most of the time, its always after turning right at slow speed, then it stall a few feets later at low speed, at least this is what have been reported by most.

if this is a problem that happens every day, i would understand those who want to sell it.

but for those who it only happen once, or maybe twice, i think its over reacting a little unless it happens at high speed out of no were

but it doesnt seem to be the case, it happen most after turning right at low speed ... so the risk of fatal accident is much less...

maybe give fca the time to fix this... if it dosent happen often then its hardder to fix.... btw this happened once to my truck too, and i still love it
Completely understand your perspective, I tried to get there myself.. we all have different risk tolerances but given the busy streets I drive on and the fact that I usually have my 18 month old with me, I can't get comfortable with ignoring the issue even if it happened just once. So much so, that I am considering going Ford!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
o
Completely understand your perspective, I tried to get there myself.. we all have different risk tolerances but given the busy streets I drive on and the fact that I usually have my 18 month old with me, I can't get comfortable with ignoring the issue even if it happened just once. So much so, that I am considering going Ford!
well thats the thing, it only happen 1 time, that make it very hard to fix, but it will be fix eventually

ask yourself, in your new ford, are going to sell it aswell if you have 1 problem of it stalling or not starting etc?

personnally my truck did it 1 time to(my wife was driving it without me) when it had about 1000 miles or so, and i will give them the time.to fix it, to be honnest i did not went to the dealer with this because i know for now there is no fix.

but if this would happen more often, well thats another story

just saying, i know its not fun, but the truck is still usable and fun, fca is not saying we are not fixing it, its just need more data to fix

you know that his can happen a slow speed right turn so keep a eye on it.

this often occure at speed under 20mph, at these speed the risk of accident is low, its like avoiding someone thats doing 20 in a 30.zone, you dont have a accident , you go around them,

except in your situation it a even a slower speed because you just turn ( normally a.90degres turn aboht)when this happens

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck did it 1 time. I proceeded to update the HCP, PCM, and TCM. It hasn't happened since.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you do this?
We all are just guessing on what year your truck is. A lot of people put that info out there for us all to see. It is helpful. Yes a dealer can do the updates.

kevinkon

Reaction score
We all are just guessing on what year your truck is. A lot of people put that info out there for us all to see. It is helpful. Yes a dealer can do the updates.
Thank you! and its a 2020

ShortStack

Reaction score
My truck did it 1 time. I proceeded to update the HCP, PCM, and TCM. It hasn't happened since.
I quite literally can make it happen AT WILL. But the service manager at the shop I go to will not let me prove it to them nor will they put the updates you mentioned on the truck
EVEN if I pay full price for it. Sorry to get loud here but this is not something that has just started happening and even with all the events being placed on NHTSA web site nobody cares
to do anything about it. If it costs money then they have interest. Same goes for Ford with the transmission issue I was having which is why I traded the truck after 12 years.

It is all temperature and vacuum related. Having been around turbines my entire life (you may have flown on a jet using an engine I or my father engineered) it is easy for me to see and explain.
But getting somebody to listen....well there in lies the problem. They hear you but don't listen.

I have a family friend that owns a RAM dealership and when I'm in his township I'll get it updates installed to give me piece of mind.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I quite literally can make it happen AT WILL. But the service manager at the shop I go to will not let me prove it to them nor will they put the updates you mentioned on the truck
EVEN if I pay full price for it. Sorry to get loud here but this is not something that has just started happening and even with all the events being placed on NHTSA web site nobody cares
to do anything about it. If it costs money then they have interest. Same goes for Ford with the transmission issue I was having which is why I traded the truck after 12 years.

It is all temperature and vacuum related. Having been around turbines my entire life (you may have flown on a jet using an engine I or my father engineered) it is easy for me to see and explain.
But getting somebody to listen....well there in lies the problem. They hear you but don't listen.

I have a family friend that owns a RAM dealership and when I'm in his township I'll get it updates installed to give me piece of mind.
what do you mean by you can make it happen at will?
please explain what your truck symptomes are and what you do to make it happen whrn you want? this might help the rest

Jexx

Reaction score

How can a dealer refuse to apply an update if there is a service bulletin and/or recall ??

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Go to a different dealership.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Cold Start;
1 - Start truck non-remotely
2 - Wait just a minute or two and pull out.
3 - Get the truck up to maybe 10-15 mph and and drive about 200-300 feeet. Hit the brakes in a normal fashion.
4 - Engine shakes and transmission gets "lost". Truck shuts off with the start button still showing "Run"
5 - The parking brake enages which prevents immediate restart.

Hot Start:
1 - After running around town I shut the truck off.
2 - Let set for about 2 to 3 minutes.
3 - Restart truck and start moving by turning right out of the driveway.
4 - Engine shakes and transmission shutters trying to find a gear that "fits" the speed.
5 - Hit the brake truck shuts off, parking brake enages, start button in "Run". Truck tries to autostart.

As for the TSB and the dealer, I've comes to the conclusion that the service folks at the counters have
transferred over from McD's. Instead of asking "you want fries" they say "No" and "how about an oil change".
I will be conversing with the owner of the dealership since I have meet him a few times.
I'm hard to forget due to my "opinions". I have no patience for stupid :rolleyes:. Dumb I can handle :)

Hb92

Reaction score
This happened for the first time ~30 days ago & again today. First time was before the hybrid recall was done, 2nd was after. No difference.

Both times it occurred when the ambient temps were cold and the truck say 2-3 days.

I also noticed both times, after I restarted the truck & disengaged the eBrake, the battery operating voltage was very low below 12V and will not get back up to its typical 14.5V. It stays ~11.7V with the battery warning light on until the next time I shut down & start the truck. Even then it's oddly lower than typica, in the 13.6-14.1V range.

Has anyone else noticed their voltage change after this incident?

@RamCares buy back time!

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
This happened for the first time ~30 days ago & again today. First time was before the hybrid recall was done, 2nd was after. No difference.

Both times it occurred when the ambient temps were cold and the truck say 2-3 days.

I also noticed both times, after I restarted the truck & disengaged the eBrake, the battery operating voltage was very low below 12V and will not get back up to its typical 14.5V. It stays ~11.7V with the battery warning light on until the next time I shut down & start the truck. Even then it's oddly lower than typica, in the 13.6-14.1V range.

@RamCares buy back time!

I saw the exact same symptoms with my 22 rebel V8 etorque 2 trips to the dealer with zero insight. No codes, etc.

See post here if interested.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

@RamCares buy back time!
Hey there,

We'd really like to hear more about this and get you some assistance. If you're interested, send us a DM!

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread