5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Bfifty1fifty

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, e-torque. The truck randomly turns off, happened to me once and my wife twice. When it shuts off the brake auto engages! As it should, but this shut off deal alot of people are experiencing is going to cause an accident. Of course the dealer can't find any codes, can't find any problems and cannot get the truck to stall on their 3 mile drive.

MattGalmish

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, e-torque. The truck randomly turns off, happened to me once and my wife twice. When it shuts off the brake auto engages! As it should, but this shut off deal alot of people are experiencing is going to cause an accident. Of course the dealer can't find any codes, can't find any problems and cannot get the truck to stall on their 3 mile drive.

How fast are you going when it shuts off and engages the brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfifty1fifty

Reaction score
How fast are you going when it shuts off and engages the brakes?

One time was around 7 mph, another was 35 mph, another 3 mph, another 26ish, car shutting down while in motion, then auto ebrake is not fun. Such a waste of time going to the dealer, incomprehensible that no trouble codes are found

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Not a RAM but my wife had a 2014 Cherokee where this happened numerous times. The first time they replaced the steering rack because all the electronics failed and the second time the engine failed. Apparently it was burning oil (less than 100k on the motor) and the car would randomly shut off if you didn't check the oil enough (we always did regular oil changes). Got rid of that POS immediately after getting a new engine (under warranty) and swore off FCA (but then I couldn't resist buying a RAM haha).

Last edited:

MattGalmish

Reaction score
One time was around 7 mph, another was 35 mph, another 3 mph, another 26ish, car shutting down while in motion, then auto ebrake is not fun. Such a waste of time going to the dealer, incomprehensible that no trouble codes are found

Weird. That CAN’T be good. Haven’t heard of that before without warning lights.

Isbtown

Reaction score
Well, mine has done that now also. Both times at low speed when making a turn while I was adjusting something in the center stack. (1 time changing XM stations, one time adjusting HVAC). Turned off, auto brake engaged. Have an appt with dealer next week. Was hoping OP had an update? Edit to say: 2021 Ram 1500 Limited.

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
That happened to me only once, at very low speed after the truck had been sitting for a couple of days. Also, since I was put-putting through the neighborhood so slow, it was in eco mode.

I just attributed it to it being cold & me not allowing it to warm up properly before driving it in eco mode. That was maybe 6 months ago & it's never happened again.

JPRAM2021

Reaction score
Well, mine has done that now also. Both times at low speed when making a turn while I was adjusting something in the center stack. (1 time changing XM stations, one time adjusting HVAC). Turned off, auto brake engaged. Have an appt with dealer next week. Was hoping OP had an update? Edit to say: 2021 Ram 1500 Limited.
Did you get an answer from the dealer on this?

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I got a recall notice about this issue and took mine in to the dealer. It never died, but I got the recall software update to avoid it ....hopefully.

Powerwagon4582

Reaction score
Mine has recently started doing this the last 2 days , only does it once in the first 10 min of start up , after driving about 1/2 mile and coming to a stop .
Mines a 21 bighorn with the E-torque

n8zcc

Reaction score
I had a similar issue to this one on a 2004 GM vehicle. Of course, the common service response of "can't duplicate customer's concern" or "vehicle operating as designed" were the common responses on the work orders. They told me the warranty pays to fix the problem, not find it.

After bugging the crap out of the service department the service manager agreed to keep my vehicle and drive it back and forth to work. Sure enough, he experienced the problem but they never found a way to cause the problem on demand in order to find the root cause and repair it. The vehicle lemon lawed.

ShortStack

Reaction score
This happens to me every time I don't let the engine idle for at least 10-15 minutes prior to moving. Then it happens at two of the three stops signs leaving my neighborhood.
Was going to go talk to the dealer about getting TSB 18-091-22 applied to the PCM. Does not appear to be engine related but more a transmission issue on mine.

JDGRam19

Reaction score
My 21 Limited has done this about 5 times over the last year. I have noticed this shut off/stall would only happen if the stupid auto on/off is left active and I slowly creep up to a stop sign and "roll through" at a low RPM, it will shut off. Almost like the computer thinks Ive braked to stop but kept going. If the stop/start is off I haven't had this happen. Any more updates from anyone else?

Jahosefat

Reaction score
My wife just had this happen again this morning turning right onto a busy street from a stop. Truck stalled, ebrake applied, car approaching from behind had to swerve into oncoming traffic lane to avoid rear ending her.

I’ve had this truck for a year now and had this happen at least a dozen times. Half of those could have ended in a major accident.

Dealer can’t find an issue, no engine codes, Ram doesn’t care. If dealer can’t find it apparently it doesn’t exist. Someone is going to get killed one of these days then maybe they will take it seriously. Hell, maybe someone already has and we wouldn’t know because computer doesn’t record the event.

Tinshield

Reaction score
2022's have an active recall. I had mine done and it definitely improves the whole start/stop behavior.

Jexx

Reaction score
2022's have an active recall. I had mine done and it definitely improves the whole start/stop behavior.
My 22 Big Horn doesn't have this recall. Does it only affect the 5.7 etorque maybe? I have the 3.6 in mine if that makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread