5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Hb92

Reaction score
Same happened me for the 2nd time in 15k miles... Dealer appointment scheduled for Monday again (12/19/22) ... They couldn't duplicate the issue last time either. I've tried in the last 2 days and can't replicate it.

Something with a slow speed stop /rolling stop and battery voltage drops suddenly IMO.

12/22 edit: same as before... Couldn't duplicate. Asking for a StarCase... @ RamCares

2022 Ram 1500 Rebel Hydro Blue
V8 etorque
(Purchased: 3/7/22)

Details below...

Tue. 12/14/22 ~ 3:03 pm (15,222 miles)

- while making a left turn from Whitehall RD onto Sullivan road the truck abruptly shut itself off, went into PARK & applied the e-Brake with my truck stuck in the oncoming Lane. Oncoming traffic luckily stopped for me to clear the road.

- Same scenario as before, with the “Battery” fault symbol on the dash but was able to start the truck, release the e-brake, and get it in DRIVE again to get going again. During the rest of the 30 min drive to work, I had the digital gauges up on the radio and could see the battery voltage was at 11.8v - 12.0v for the entire drive to work.

ed5e648d572c4393ec56272e9a68ff80.jpg

Tue. 12/13/22 ~ 5:33 pm (15,252 miles)

- After sitting for 2hrs, I came out to call the dealer service for an appointment from the truck and saw the digital gauges on the radio and the dash cluster back at 13.9v -14.0v.

f8ec4526a9dd7ef61a4c9087fbba1f02.jpg

The issue hasn't repeated itself (yet).

- The only other recent change I can think of with the truck was that I reconnected it to my home WiFi for future radio SW updates/downloads a few days before. (v26.17 is getting released? TSB 08-211-22)

** No issues between 7,427 miles and 15,222 miles? **

------------------------

Sat. 7/16/22 ~ 3:05pm to 3:40pm

- While pulling out of my neighborhood onto Centerville Road, the truck abruptly shut itself off, went into PARK & applied the e-Brake with my truck sticking into the roadway about a foot (& another vehicle behind me). Oncoming traffic in the lane was able to go around me still. Thankfully traffic was light and I wasn’t stuck further out in the road when it happened… or Mon-Fri when it’s busier.

- I noticed the “Battery” fault symbol on the dash but was able to start the truck, release the e-brake, and get it in DRIVE again to get going again. During the rest of the 35 min drive to work, I had the digital gauges up on the radio and could see the battery voltage was at 11.9v - 12.0v for the entire drive to work.

Sun. 7/17/22 ~ 12:15am to 12:45am

- After sitting for 8hrs, I came out expecting to need a jumpstart to get home and found the truck started right up.

- I pulled up the digital gauges on the radio and the dash cluster and saw the battery voltage was at 13.9v -14.0v. That seemed weird, but perhaps the 48v Li eTorque Battery recharged the 12v system?

- During the 35min drive home from work, I noticed the battery voltage continued to drop to 13.3v, 13,2v, & 13.0v by the time I got home.

Mon. 7/18/22 ~ 7:30am (night drop)

- Dropped the truck off to get it looked at/potential issue entered into the system.

** Dealer kept the truck for a week and had someone drive it on short parts runs in town for 60 miles or so and couldn't duplicate it **
(can't really expect much more than that)

*** (April/May 2022) Previously had the Tow haul/limp mode issue with the hybrid charge Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) in the first 2k miles that was 'fixed' with a SW update. (TSP 08-93-22) ***

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Holy sh*t IDENTICAL to what mine just started doing!!!!

Did you get any resolution by dealer?

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Holy sh*t IDENTICAL to what mine just started doing!!!!

Did you get any resolution by dealer?
I traded it in at loss after the 2nd occurrence. Wasn't gonna wait for the 3rd time when someone might be looking at their phone and T-Bone me.

Dealer couldn't or wouldn't elevate it to a star case and Ramcares never got back to me while the truck was at the dealer for a week.

Ram isn't getting anywhere with the issue and other than the one post/member above, no one can duplicate it at will.

Last edited:

GeorgeA

Reaction score
This is a very serious issue and we need a way to elevate this to RAM/Mopar corporate.

RamCares does a very good job of helping with Dealer issues, but apparently is not the right point of contact for situations like this. My RamCars Case Manager is helping as much as he can, but he is unaware of this issue.

Problems like the leaky rear window are well- know to RamCares and they act very quickly with these cases.

I know that Callie from RamCares is active on this forum.

We need to get this critical issue elevated to someone at corporate before a serious accident occurs (and probably already has).

This needs to be debugged by a System Architect or Software Engineering team and not left up to the Dealerships to diagnose.

This is a lawsuit in the making and none of us want that.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but since it happens mostly during or just after a turn, I wonder if something in the clock spring is shorting or sending bad data causing a fatal error and shut down?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Today marks 4 weeks since my vehicle has been at the dealership. I do not blame them in any way. There is only so much that they can do with an intermittent
issue like this.

There have been a lot of guesses and theories that I have read on this forum and others. We need the factory to diagnose this and find the route cause.

They need to analyze all the errors that will cause the engine to turn off and the error message: "Shifter Auto Correct Active". A System Architect or Software Engineering team should be able to narrow this down.

Although it is not the cause, I think the Dial shifter is part of why this has become so dangerous. How often is there a need to have our vehicles shift into park for us???

kevinkon

Reaction score
I traded it in at loss after the 2nd occurrence. Wasn't gonna wait for the 3rd time when someone might be looking at their phone and T-Bone me.

Dealer couldn't or wouldn't elevate it to a star case and Ramcares never got back to me while the truck was at the dealer for a week.

Ram isn't getting anywhere with the issue and other than the one post/member above, no one can duplicate it at will.

I also traded mine at a loss for an F150, not worth it happening again and having to worry about it.

JMMc

Reaction score
2021 Dodge Ram 5.7 Lonestar. This happened to me last night. 1st time. I was leaving work and the engine just died. All the lights stayed on. Its almost like I hit the start/stop button. Cranked back up, and went about 200 yards and it did it again. Did it 8 more times on my way home. I got the idea to crank it and just hold the start button in. Guess what? It worked. Drove all the way home holding the start button. Got in it this morning, cranked it, and as soon as I put it in reverse, it died. Started it again, but held in the start button and when I went to reverse, and it didnt die. Im thinking this has something to do with the start button. Took it to the dealer this morning (holding the start button the whole way) and explained everything to them....and you guessed it. It wouldnt do it for them. I left it with them hoping they can duplicate it. They at least know about the start button and holding it in.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
2021 Dodge Ram 5.7 Lonestar. This happened to me last night. 1st time. I was leaving work and the engine just died. All the lights stayed on. Its almost like I hit the start/stop button. Cranked back up, and went about 200 yards and it did it again. Did it 8 more times on my way home. I got the idea to crank it and just hold the start button in. Guess what? It worked. Drove all the way home holding the start button. Got in it this morning, cranked it, and as soon as I put it in reverse, it died. Started it again, but held in the start button and when I went to reverse, and it didnt die. Im thinking this has something to do with the start button. Took it to the dealer this morning (holding the start button the whole way) and explained everything to them....and you guessed it. It wouldnt do it for them. I left it with them hoping they can duplicate it. They at least know about the start button and holding it in.
Jmmc,

Check for a leak in rear window. Is the area behind the rear seat wet or damp?? It may be leaking and you have not noticed it.

The Dealers and RamCares have been useless in diagnosing this issue. There is an RF module/controller on the cab behind the rear seat. If water were to penetrate the module or the connections it could cause an intermittent problem.

I would think holding down the start button may bypass the need for the RF connection.

This is only a guess, but none of us are getting answers from the factory.

I retrieved my truck from the dealer today (after 4 weeks) and I am bringing it to another dealer tomorrow.

You will see a couple of other threads on this topic:

"Engine stalled / shut off"

"Ram 1500 GT Shut down while driving almost killed us"

The guy who started the last post finally got feed up and traded in his vehicle. I am considering the same.

Jexx

Reaction score
Isn't there an active recall for this issue?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Dealers and RamCares have been useless in diagnosing this issue. There is an RF module/controller on the cab behind the rear seat. If water were to penetrate the module or the connections it could cause an intermittent problem.
Did you take your seat out and inspect the RFH? Ram has multiple cases for this exact thing you claim is the issue.

Attachments

• rfhub.pdf
    476.6 KB · Views: 40

JMMc

Reaction score
Did you take your seat out and inspect the RFH? Ram has multiple cases for this exact thing you claim is the issue.
I didn't have a clue about this. I will let the dealer know this for sure. Thanks!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't have a clue about this. I will let the dealer know this for sure. Thanks!
All the dealers have seen this issue, it's not uncommon. With that it's also not an automatic replace part

GeorgeA

Reaction score
That was the first thing that the dealer did - to their credit.

That is when they found the leak in the rear window. They replaced the window and tried to replicate the problem. They logged 50 miles on the truck and could not replicate the problem.

That is the main issue. It is an intermittent problem, which is why so many of us are frustrated. We have lived the problem and we know how scary and dangerous it can be, but the dealer cannot repeat it.

The dealer said the RFH did not shown any error warnings and the connections were not corroded.

I requested that they change the RFH and harness, since this is a know issue. They told me that they cannot do that unless they identify/see a problem.

I probably could have coaxed them into changing the RFH, but they do not have any and it has been on back-order for 3 months.

I am taking my vehicle to another dealership and pushing them to change the RFH and Wiring harness. Some dealers are apparently hoarding them for their own needs.

At this point, we are stuck changing parts until the issue goes away - not the most effective way to deal with a problem.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was the first thing that the dealer did - to their credit.

That is when they found the leak in the rear window. They replaced the window and tried to replicate the problem. They logged 50 miles on the truck and could not replicate the problem.

That is the main issue. It is an intermittent problem, which is why so many of us are frustrated. We have lived the problem and we know how scary and dangerous it can be, but the dealer cannot repeat it.

The dealer said the RFH did not shown any error warnings and the connections were not corroded.

I requested that they change the RFH and harness, since this is a know issue. They told me that they cannot do that unless they identify/see a problem.

I probably could have coaxed them into changing the RFH, but they do not have any and it has been on back-order for 3 months.

I am taking my vehicle to another dealership and pushing them to change the RFH and Wiring harness. Some dealers are apparently hoarding them for their own needs.

At this point, we are stuck changing parts until the issue goes away - not the most effective way to deal with a problem.
How do you know what dealers have the part?

JMMc

Reaction score
All the dealers have seen this issue, it's not uncommon. With that it's also not an automatic replace part
As usual, it wouldn't die when I got it to the dealer, and they seemed clueless to the leaking issue. It's a large dealership which leads me to question whether they are being honest.

JMMc

Reaction score
@RamCares Does Dodge know there is an issue with the back window leaking on some models and that effecting the RFH module?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares Does Dodge know there is an issue with the back window leaking on some models and that effecting the RFH module?
There are multiple service messages and tsb for the issue. I posted a star case explaining it above. So yes RAM knows about the leak.

JMMc

Reaction score
There are multiple service messages and tsb for the issue. I posted a star case explaining it above. So yes RAM knows about the leak.
My truck starts just fine. No issues starting. Its when I put it in reverse or drive that it dies. Sometimes it will stay running long enough to go about50 yards, then die. As long as i dont put it in gear, it runs fine. It also runs (doesnt die while driving) fine when I hold in the start/stop button.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck starts just fine. No issues starting. Its when I put it in reverse or drive that it dies. Sometimes it will stay running long enough to go about50 yards, then die. As long as i dont put it in gear, it runs fine. It also runs (doesnt die while driving) fine when I hold in the start/stop button.
👍

Users who are viewing this thread