5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode, fuel saving mode not working

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to admit I’m getting concerned about the mileage too. I’m only getting about 12 mpg. Now granted my truck is less then 2-weeks old and I live only 4 miles from work, so it’s mainly city driving. I’m getting the same mpg as my old 2004 Ram 1500 with a Hemi did.
Short commutes never allow the truck to get to full operating temperature unless you let it sit and idle. Idling is an economy killer as well. The motor will warm up fairly quick but the transmission takes 10-15 miles or longer to reach optimum temperature. The axle has extra drag when cold too. Reset your trip meter next time you take a trip that's over 20 miles and you'll see much better economy unless you drive it hard.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Btw, I noticed you have the 6 foot 4 bed. How do you like it? I'm kind of regretting the smaller bed.

I came from a 2005 Dakota with a 5ft bed and I didn't want the smaller bed. I am quite happy with the 6'4" bed, damned spacious to what I was used to (hell, the entire truck is huge change from the Dakota).

Parking is about the only 'problem' as either the front or back will overhang the majority of parking spots, but I tend to park out in the boonies while everyone else is circling for the closest spot.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came from a 2005 Dakota with a 5ft bed and I didn't want the smaller bed. I am quite happy with the 6'4" bed, damned spacious to what I was used to (hell, the entire truck is huge change from the Dakota).

Parking is about the only 'problem' as either the front or back will overhang the majority of parking spots, but I tend to park out in the boonies while everyone else is circling for the closest spot.
Yeah I think the 6'4" is the way to go. Thanks.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I just purchased my Ram on Dec. 11, 2018 and I did see the "eco" come on one time. I have mainly been on very short hwy drives with more in cit y, but seeing the computer give me about 13 mpg. On all my previous Rams I was fortunate to get 10 mpg so this may be a little better. More time and mileage to really know.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Y'all try this: Change your daah display to the Economy screen. It's the one with the mpg graph that changes constantly. After accelerating and at constant speed back off the gas a bit until the graph goes to max, wait 1 second and the ECO light will come on then ease back on the gas. MDS will kick on every time. As long as your not going up hill or over 55, it'll stay on and your mpg will be greatly improved.

it's worth an extra 3-4 mpg or more depending on how you used to drive.

Your welcome.

Zinger

Reaction score
Y'all try this: Change your daah display to the Economy screen. It's the one with the mpg graph that changes constantly. After accelerating and at constant speed back off the gas a bit until the graph goes to max, wait 1 second and the ECO light will come on then ease back on the gas. MDS will kick on every time. As long as your not going up hill or over 55, it'll stay on and your mpg will be greatly improved.

it's worth an extra 3-4 mpg or more depending on how you used to drive.

Your welcome.

Spot on.

Separate observation - why is there no instantaneous number and just a graph? My wife's Durango has both. Easier to process a number than a graph.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Spot on.

Separate observation - why is there no instantaneous number and just a graph? My wife's Durango has both. Easier to process a number than a graph.
There’s an instantaneous number shown just to the right of the graph (and maybe up a bit, if I’m remembering correctly) on that screen.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spot on.

For some reason there is 2 pages on that screen. Press the right arrow button on the steering wheel to go to the 2nd page. It's identical to the 1st page but has the instantanious mpg in the upper right corner like @SpeedyV said.

A better solution for me is to go to Screen setup and set the Lower Left area to display the instantanious mpg. It's called Current MPG in the list, I think. That way you can always see it no matter what screen you are on.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A better solution for me is to go to Screen setup and set the Lower Left area to display the instantanious mpg. It's called Current MPG in the list, I think. That way you can always see it no matter what screen you are on.
Yes, but then you have to give up a gauge display :(

If only we had additional screen space to configure virtual gauges - say, for example, on a giant 12” touchscreen...

Wishful thinking, I know. I’m still hoping for a better equalizer for the H/K ;)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but then you have to give up a gauge display :(

If only we had additional screen space to configure virtual gauges - say, for example, on a giant 12” touchscreen...

Wishful thinking, I know. I’m still hoping for a better equalizer for the H/K ;)
Lower left is the battery voltage by default. The same info is in the vehicle info display on one of the many pages. Of all the guages I'd want to see, the battery voltage is the least significant. Seeing instantaneous mpg helps me learn to drive the way the truck wants me to. Driver training. These heavy footed 12 mpg folks could benefit from that too. Lol.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Where in the UConnect menu do you turn this on!?!?! Limited with 12.1

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the top of the display as current MPG and I put the average in the left band where the 'Menu' option was. I'm sure there's a half dozen ways to program the cluster to what suits you.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To enable the ECO light:
Settings-->Display-->Fuel Saver Display In Cluster

Last edited:

Bama003

Reaction score
About 800 miles now, 6 days of use and I haven't seen the green "ECO" emblem but once. I have it selected in the settings, it's just not coming on. Is it restricted during break-in or something?
I have a 2019 Big Horn. From what I've seen in my truck, the ECO is only active below around 1900 rpm on the highway with 8 speed tranny.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn. From what I've seen in my truck, the ECO is only active below around 1900 rpm on the highway with 8 speed tranny.
FWIW...I’m seeing MDS kick in more at 72 mph than 65 these days. There must be a sweet spot in the powerband where the RPMs aren’t too high but enough power is being made to keep the truck under “light load”. Looking forward to a road trip this weekend!

schmidt2005

Reaction score
About 800 miles now, 6 days of use and I haven't seen the green "ECO" emblem but once. I have it selected in the settings, it's just not coming on. Is it restricted during break-in or something?
If you have MDS (Multi Displacement System) it'll have ECO mode. You'll have to turn on the option to show it displayed in the cluster. ECO will not engage if you're going too fast or too much load on the vehicle.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ECO mode (MDS) doesn't come on much during break-in. After 2k miles, I saw it more frequently. After 6k, it seems to be more eager to come on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online