5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode, fuel saving mode not working

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really mine came on when I drove it home from the dealer with 35km on it.
Sure. Mine did too...but wouldn't stay engaged under load. The more miles I got, the easier it was to stay in ECO. Now, I can easily keep it engaged on 2 lane highways up to 60 mph. Others have noticed this also.

brewdad

Reaction score
Try 100% gas with no ethanol for best mpg; pure-gas.org website will show stations in U.S. & Canada that sell pure gas; I suppose most of you know where these stations are in your area since only pure gas should be put in your lawnmowers, snow blowers, motorcycles and other small engines.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure. Mine did too...but wouldn't stay engaged under load. The more miles I got, the easier it was to stay in ECO. Now, I can easily keep it engaged on 2 lane highways up to 60 mph. Others have noticed this also.

It keeps engaged on flat surfaces for me. At 1000km now and it is coming on more often now.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It keeps engaged on flat surfaces for me. At 1000km now and it is coming on more often now.
I just turned 4000 miles. I noticed in the last 500 + miles in began coming on and staying on more and more frequently. I just took a 200 mile road trip which was mostly highway and it was on for long stretches throughout the trip.

pwhfmtx

Reaction score
I too just crossed 4000 miles and noticed the Eco volunteering much more often. Today at 75 on cruise it came on for a long stretch.

I did also recently make sure my new LT tires were inflated higher towards 50 lbs.

This is the second tank to be hovering around 16 mpg, which is an increase.

The lift until Eco and gentle acceleration concept definitely helps. I do not have the recent eTorque updates applied yet.

I have also noticed a difference between cruise and adaptive cruise on the Eco showing. Regular cruise it appears more and on adaptive it works better with more distance enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw the ECO quite a bit and now since I turned on the Gear indicator I haven't seen it yet. (Not the +/- limiter but the number indicator next to the D for drive. I am wondering if by showing this it also disables the ECO?

JDBob35a

Reaction score

I very rarely see the eco light at anything over 50 mph. Mostly only see it around town, 35 mph or so. I'm just about to turn 4000 miles so maybe it will began to be more active, (I Hope).
I've never seen it on the interstate, 2 lane highways with a tailwind I may see it once in a while. I was really counting on it to help gas mileage.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed on the interstate the Eco turns on while at steady 75. I don't see it while running 75 with the cruise engaged. Really don't know why.
Because cruise control is constantly making micro adjustments to hold speed. This prevents MDS from enabling. It takes a second or two of extremely light engine load for MDS to kick in. Try running 50 and backing off to almost a coast for a few seconds to coax MDS on. Add throttle lightly to maintain speed. It should stay on at a constant speed with no hills at any speed below 55 or so. Cruise won't let this happen unless you are going downhill.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming, I am thinking it has just been too cold here in Col"d"arado then!
Yeah, I thought the stop/start wasn't working on my eTorque on my commute this morning. Apparently something was still looking for some heat.

I've also found that the cruise control on the truck isn't the most precise I've ever used. There is more variation than I'm accustomed to. I get the best mileage using my foot.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've also found that the cruise control on the truck isn't the most precise I've ever used. There is more variation than I'm accustomed to. I get the best mileage using my foot.
The closer the cruise control follows the set speed, the worse the economy because it's constantly correcting. Same reason ECO mode rarely comes on with cruise control. Your foot just holds a steady engine load more often which provides the best economy.

I wish this truck had an "Eco-cruise" which essentially would hold a steady throttle until the brake is pressed or the speed deviates more than a certain amount. I'd use it in low traffic flat highway driving.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on grade, steady throttle could result in more acceleration than you'd want or you would slow down too much. The advantage of using your foot is that you can make very tiny adjustments that keep the MDS engaged while moderating your speed.

BTK

Reaction score
The eco light does indeed have to be enabled in uconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread