5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode, fuel saving mode not working

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge unless someone corrects me, for the 5.7 non eTorque at least;

No paddle shifters like other FCA vehicles, and no sport mode
Eco mode - VVT / cylinder deactivation
Tow / Haul - adjusts shift points to higher rpms to avoid constant downshifts, and disables eco mode
Unless I missed something.....

When my 2010 was in Tow/Haul Mode the MDS was disabled, meaning it was not in the ECO mode. However, on my 2014 with the eight speed 8HP70 transmission, the MDS was not defeatured and ECO mode was active. Only using the ERS mode (meaning manual shifting using the steering wheel buttons) would defeature MDS. I'm not sure about my 2019. I'll have to try it.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001866 miles.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my 2010 was in Tow/Haul Mode the MDS was disabled, meaning it was not in the ECO mode. However, on my 2014 with the eight speed 8HP70 transmission, the MDS was not defeatured and ECO mode was active. Only using the ERS mode (meaning manual shifting using the steering wheel buttons) would defeature MDS. I'm not sure about my 2019. I'll have to try it.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001866 miles.
Yep, manual shift still disables it. At least on my Rebel.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine didn't come on much during my 1200 mile "break in" trip. It comes on frequently now. I currently have about 2100 miles on it.
Exactly, I wouldn't be concerned unless it was still elusive after 3000 miles. I remember reading something along those lines when I bought my 16'.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came on for the first time around 55 miles on the feeeway under little to no load. For the most part it’s staying off. On my 2012 it came on frequently, even on the test drive.

RT70808

Reaction score
About 800 miles now, 6 days of use and I haven't seen the green "ECO" emblem but once. I have it selected in the settings, it's just not coming on. Is it restricted during break-in or something?
I didn’t see mine for the first 1,000 or so

Atcje

Reaction score
Maybe there's hope then. I love the truck but I'm not very pleased with it right now, it's in the body shop getting the doors realigned and painted. Got to be like being married to high maintenance super model, drive you insane until you see her naked.....then she's worth all the headaches.

Duane

Reaction score
Maybe there's hope then. I love the truck but I'm not very pleased with it right now, it's in the body shop getting the doors realigned and painted. Got to be like being married to high maintenance super model, drive you insane until you see her naked.....then she's worth all the headaches.

Great perspective.

Spirito2

Reaction score
I just passed 500 miles and I'm seeing the eco light a lot more.

EddieB

Reaction score
Ha! I didn’t even realize that option existed. I now have it on and it comes on when cruising

Cajun

Reaction score
Ha! I didn’t even realize that option existed. I now have it on and it comes on when cruising

How do you turn on Eco mode? I have 1200 miles and haven't seen it once. I assume its turned off but I cant seem to find where to switch it.

John813

Reaction score
How do you turn on Eco mode? I have 1200 miles and haven't seen it once. I assume its turned off but I cant seem to find where to switch it.

Uconnect settings, and then under display. The option to turn it on is in there.

abardwell

Reaction score
Uconnect settings, and then under display. The option to turn it on is in there.
I just followed this procedure, and have a question. It appeared to me that this simply enables the indicator light in the gauge cluster, but does not enable or disable the MDS/ECO Mode. Meaning, enabling the indicator light does not change the operation of the MDS, but merely shows when it is active. Is this accurate?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just followed this procedure, and have a question. It appeared to me that this simply enables the indicator light in the gauge cluster, but does not enable or disable the MDS/ECO Mode. Meaning, enabling the indicator light does not change the operation of the MDS, but merely shows when it is active. Is this accurate?
Correct. This does not activate / deactive the MDS...just the ECO light.

The only way to deactive MDS (other than a programmer or chip) is by using the gear limiter button and limiting it to 8th gear.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's my understanding and truck runs that way. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to disable MDS is to manually select a gear with the steering wheel controls.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's my understanding and truck runs that way. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to disable MDS is to manually select a gear with the steering wheel controls.
Jinx! you owe me a coke...and a Rambox truck :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread