5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO mode, fuel saving mode not working

Reaction score
You have to manually turn on the ECO mode notification via UConnect to get the dash indicator to light up/

ECO mode is activated, there's no way to disable it (I which you could because it'd be the first thing I turned off). It's just you need to enable the notification to get the green light when it turns on. Even if you don't turn on the notification, you can feel it when it goes into the ECO mode (engine sounds different, sounds broken almost).

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
Do you guys have like a little vibration in the cabin when the eco mode is on? especially when going between 30 to 50 miles it sounds like a little subwoofer?

Repsol_Maker

Reaction score
Do you guys have like a little vibration in the cabin when the eco mode is on? especially when going between 30 to 50 miles it sounds like a little subwoofer?

I can hear it activate in both the Ram and 18 Durango. It’s audible in both vehicles but I don’t feel a physical vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
I can hear it activate in both the Ram and 18 Durango. It’s audible in both vehicles but I don’t feel a physical vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t feel the vibration but I sounds like a subwoofer like the sound of a little vibration o hope I’m not the only one :/

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that I have about 3500 miles on the engine I the eco light stays on much longer and I don’t have to try to get it on as much. I usually turn it off though because below 45 mph the ride is smoother and the mpg isn’t a lot different driving carefully with 4 or 8 cylinders.
I have 3500 mikes on mine now and 3.92s and I'm seeing it come on very often on the highway while cruising.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I turned on the ECO indicator on mine Friday, I've seen it come on a few times around town and when coasting. Never seen come on when on the interstate yet, but I have the 3:21 gears, I suspect with 3:92 it would be able to get int ECO mode more often. ??? I turned 1000 miles today, will be interesting to see how mileage and ECO mode does after things have time to loosen up a bit.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned on the ECO indicator on mine Friday, I've seen it come on a few times around town and when coasting. Never seen come on when on the interstate yet, but I have the 3:21 gears, I suspect with 3:92 it would be able to get int ECO mode more often. ??? I turned 1000 miles today, will be interesting to see how mileage and ECO mode does after things have time to loosen up a bit.
I just started to notice it coming on more frequently on the highway and local roads. Mpg went up a bit too. I dont notice any vibration or noise that others have mentioned when it kicks on. Maybe I'm oblivious but other than the green light coming on I wouldnt know it kicked in.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I just started to notice it coming on more frequently on the highway and local roads. Mpg went up a bit too. I dont notice any vibration or noise that others have mentioned when it kicks on. Maybe I'm oblivious but other than the green light coming on I wouldnt know it kicked in.

Same here, if the green light wasn't on I'd have no idea. Until I found the setting in the Uconnect I didn't think it was working. And this is my first truck with any type of MDS, when I bought the truck I really thought I'd notice it.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only feel it because I'm watching for the ECO light. The exhaust sound changes but it is very subtle. With the radio on, it's inaudible. The is a tiny "bump" I can feel if it kicks off while pulling a hill.

Vespid

Reaction score
You have to manually turn on the ECO mode notification via UConnect to get the dash indicator to light up/

ECO mode is activated, there's no way to disable it (I which you could because it'd be the first thing I turned off). It's just you need to enable the notification to get the green light when it turns on. Even if you don't turn on the notification, you can feel it when it goes into the ECO mode (engine sounds different, sounds broken almost).
You can disable it per drive cycle. Engage the gear limiter and MDS is locked out. Just hit - (negative or minus) gear limit button then select 8 as the limit and it will drive with normal shifting, but no MDS. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works.

Last edited:

Zinger

Reaction score
I don't feel mine kicking on and off while driving and mine is in Eco a lot.

Me neither. My radio is always on so I don't notice any exhaust sound changes. MDS is imperceptible to me thus far. I'm light on the pedal though, so perhaps that is why.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
I don’t feel the vibration but I sounds like a subwoofer like the sound of a little vibration o hope I’m not the only one :/
its the ANC. when the vehical goes into eco mode the anc sends a 38hz sound thru the sub channel out of phase to tone down the drone the exhaust makes. crack you window and the anc will be disabled and it will go away.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
its the ANC. when the vehical goes into eco mode the anc sends a 38hz sound thru the sub channel out of phase to tone down the drone the exhaust makes. crack you window and the anc will be disabled and it will go away.
What do you mean the ANC?

Hackmunch

Reaction score
ANC is active noise cancellation. its a system built into amplifier to cut down on road noise.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 3500 mikes on mine now and 3.92s and I'm seeing it come on very often on the highway while cruising.

Could you define 'highway cruising', how fast are you going?
I haven't seen mine come on driving faster than 55/60... downhill doesn't count.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
O
ANC is active noise cancellation. its a system built into amplifier to cut down on road noise.
Ohh got ya! Yes that is it sounds like bass. Man I wonder why it does that I though something was vibrating by the way I have a 4x2 bighorn 3.21 5.7 without etorque I thought something was wrong with my truck

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you define 'highway cruising', how fast are you going?
I haven't seen mine come on driving faster than 55/60... downhill doesn't count.
Its come on at 70 and over on occasion. I just took a long trip over the weekend and saw it frequently while on the highway.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its come on at 70 and over on occasion. I just took a long trip over the weekend and saw it frequently while on the highway.

Thanks... minimal difference between our two trucks...

SacRebel

Reaction score
I have to admit I’m getting concerned about the mileage too. I’m only getting about 12 mpg. Now granted my truck is less then 2-weeks old and I live only 4 miles from work, so it’s mainly city driving. I’m getting the same mpg as my old 2004 Ram 1500 with a Hemi did.

Users who are viewing this thread