5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't forget to change those cabin filters guys....just did and WHOA!

Goldsy

Reaction score
Bosch Hepa filters for me and I change them every Spring. Falling leaves in the fall make a mess of cabin filters.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I have 121,000 miles on my 2017 and never changed the cabin air filter. Never really worried about it. Somehow I’m still alive from breathing dirty air. 😆
LOL. It's not the dirty air that concerns me, it's the reduced airflow from a clogged up filter.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I
LOL. It's not the dirty air that concerns me, it's the reduced airflow from a clogged up filter.
I’ve honestly noticed zero reduced airflow but I should probably change it anyway. I’m curious how dirty it is after 5 years. I drive a lot of dusty roads so I can only imagine. 😲

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remeber seeing somewhere the cabin air filter is N95 or something like that....they look just regular filters??
Would love to see what these n95 filters look like...and how much they cost to replace them

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Goldsy

Reaction score
I

I’ve honestly noticed zero reduced airflow but I should probably change it anyway. I’m curious how dirty it is after 5 years.
I swear these things get clogged up 5 minutes after they are installed. I bought my truck in September, changed the filter at the end of February. It was a mess!

Dewey

Reaction score
I

I’ve honestly noticed zero reduced airflow but I should probably change it anyway. I’m curious how dirty it is after 5 years. I drive a lot of dusty roads so I can only imagine. 😲
Finally pulled mine after 5 years and 120,000 miles. Doesn’t look nearly as bad as I expected it would.
E01B806C-30F6-4007-B2E4-C5B7A56A85B3.jpeg 7E920726-0B80-436D-B452-E71F0EE8CB6C.jpeg

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I

Post the picture here!

I change all my cars' cabin air filters around this time of year. I wait until all the tree pollen is done. (That stuff literally coats the vehicles and you can feel the grit in the air when you breathe.)

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these filters always filtering or is it only when the outside air damper is open?

Goldsy

Reaction score
Are these filters always filtering or is it only when the outside air damper is open?
They filter anytime the blower is running. It filters outside and recirculated air.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They filter anytime the blower is running. It filters outside and recirculated air.
Checked mine this afternoon. 21k miles at 16 months. It didn't look bad at all. Had some lint in it and just a little bit of outdoor debris. I almost never have the OA damper open.

Buckys

Reaction score
I

How much you running your AC in WI vs. what we need in TX might be different. Certainly working harder here trying to get 90-100F+ temps down to 60-70F in the cabin.

Dewey

Reaction score
How much you running your AC in WI vs. what we need in TX might be different. Certainly working harder here trying to get 90-100F+ temps down to 60-70F in the cabin.
I agree but is likely offset by sub zero temps and trying to heat the truck up quickly in the winter.

Either way I was pretty surprised my filter didn’t look a whole lot worse after 5 years. 262E4D5E-86BD-47DC-A2F3-0CF7237BFBFB.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I changed mine after about 18 months, and it wasn't as bad as some were posting after 1 year. And I drive gravel roads when hunting and visiting my parents. I do park in a garage, but that shouldn't have that much effect on the filter and how dirty it gets

Ickabod

Reaction score
I changed mine after about 18 months, and it wasn't as bad as some were posting after 1 year. And I drive gravel roads when hunting and visiting my parents. I do park in a garage, but that shouldn't have that much effect on the filter and how dirty it gets
I didn't even look at mine until 4 years had past. I think I will be putting in a reminder in my calendar to change/wash this at least every year!

Derek916

Reaction score
I didn't even look at mine until 4 years had past. I think I will be putting in a reminder in my calendar to change/wash this at least every year!
For your KN filter...what do you while you're waiting for it to dry out? I wouldn't want to lose access to my vehicle waiting for my filter to dry...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For your KN filter...what do you while you're waiting for it to dry out? I wouldn't want to lose access to my vehicle waiting for my filter to dry...
Realistically, you can still drive it without the filter in place, you just won't be filtering any incoming air.

BNeal

Reaction score
This is mine at 20k miles - gross! I do live in a new subdivision with lots of construction dust in the air, so hopefully that will settle once they finish building out these houses. BTW, that plastic cover can be a b*tch to get out if you have big hands - or at least that was my experience.

1651774167703.png

Last edited:

Ickabod

Reaction score
Actually my wife made me buy 2 for this reason. One in use, the other is clean or is being dried after washing it. Same with out roomba vacuum cleaner filter.

Users who are viewing this thread