5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't forget to change those cabin filters guys....just did and WHOA!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the K&N. Replaced the OEM after about 4k miles. 13k miles on the K&N and it just had some leaf pieces. Not that bad at all.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the k&n in mine. I just take it out occasionally and blow it out. Doesn’t get real dirty. I also never run it on outside air.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, the "better" it filters, the more restrictive they are. Do you really need a N95 filter for your vehicle. Not at all, but they can make money with it now due to Covid panic.
Exactly. I'm sure that all spawned from Covid BS. I never wore an N95 on my face so definitely won't make my truck do it. Sometimes I'd wear my neck gator when the doctor offices made it "mandatory". But it is so thin it really does nothing but make others feel good to see me complying. :LOL:

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the "better" it filters, the more restrictive they are. Do you really need a N95 filter for your vehicle. Not at all, but they can make money with it now due to Covid panic.
It's just a fart filter..haha

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
The cab filter is designed like the filter in your home. It's mostly to keep crud out of the blower and evaporator.
1652214078913.png

Some fancier filters might help eliminate odors, reduce allergens, or um...maybe trap viruses, but that's not their primary purpose. If you got a smelly truck, shower more and keep your kids/wife from bringing in food/drinks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is mine at 20k miles - gross! I do live in a new subdivision with lots of construction dust in the air, so hopefully that will settle once they finish building out these houses. BTW, that plastic cover can be a b*tch to get out if you have big hands - or at least that was my experience.

View attachment 128650
That's not really gross.
Did you even look at it when it was new? those OEM filters are not white, they are grey to start with. You got a little junk inside but not much.
That looks like what my engine air filters look like after 50k miles.

TTFD753

Reaction score
Swapped mine out at 29,000 miles with a Fram Fresh Breeze. Got on Amazon for $15. Not sure if it was ever changed before since I am not original owner. Had some dust/discoloring/debris but nothing I thought was worth taking a picture of.

Ilya23

Reaction score
I installed Fram filter and I would say it reduce air flow for some degree. Instead of setting '3' for speed which I used usually I put 4 now for the same airflow to pass. Also OEM filter is very thin, but Fram is much thicker

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed Fram filter and I would say it reduce air flow for some degree. Instead of setting '3' for speed which I used usually I put 4 now for the same airflow to pass. Also OEM filter is very thin, but Fram is much thicker
Great observation, thanks 👍

Users who are viewing this thread