5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

highgear2005

Reaction score
2019 5.7 screw, no issues with the air conditioner and it’s been a long hot summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf702

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and would say the A/C is underwhelming. It cools, but on auto never reaches temp and blows at a lower level, always on full blast.

My father in law has a 2020 and says his is worse than mine. He took it to the dealer today and they told him it was a computer issue that needed an update. Well see over the next few days if he feels it is any better.

I'll keep you posted.

I am shocked how bad it is. I live in Las Vegas and when it is over 105 it is practically useless. My 2015 Odyssey minivan is Superior in AC performance. Living in the Southwest, I would not buy another Ram, the AC performance and the lame excuses in this day and age are unacceptable

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just spent a day in 110 degrees, A/C was plenty cold, in fact I turned it down at one point, and trust me, I'm an A/C loving *****, I'm sensitive to heat, anything over 75F at home and the central air is on!

That being said, obviously there are trucks not getting enough cool A/C. I don't think they all have an issue, mine certainly doesn't, but FCA needs to figure out what's going on for folks that do have this.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
I couldn't handle the list of major issues with my 2019 all new Ram and no longer own it. Traded for a 2020 Ram 1500 classic and everything works great like the good old days in my 2017 and 2015 Ram :) oh well, lost over $10k to drive a POS for 13 months and 30k miles.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Have a ‘20 and it does do this odd thing like it has mind of its own and reads ambient temp inside truck vs the actual setting (eg in morning at startup, even though ac’s set to on, if it’s colder outside system blows hot air)...Other than that, it seems to just take longer to cool than other vehicles I’ve driven (including previously owned 2018 F150 as others have mentioned). Like if I want 72 in cabin (cool but not cold), can’t just set it at 72 and wait, it doesn’t cool or cool fast enough, instead I have to crank down to 70, blast fan, then once it’s blowing colder, crank it back up to 72 to hold that temp. Kind of weird but hey who’s to say what’s normal...Maybe this is the new normal for ac operation and the other vehicles are now abnormal (old tech) 😂🤪

yellowboy

Reaction score
I am taking mine in Monday for the TSB on A/C issue and Star Case on Temperature display to see if it "qualifies" and then they will order parts. More coverage at 11 as they say !

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our 2019 1500 had horrendous A/C but both of our 2020’s have bone chilling A/C that has done very well in the Houston heat and humidity. We do find the Lone Star with the regular non-automatic system is much colder and typically have to turn it down or it will freeze you out of the truck. Frosty eye glasses when exiting the vehicle - the benchmark.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't handle the list of major issues with my 2019 all new Ram and no longer own it. Traded for a 2020 Ram 1500 classic and everything works great like the good old days in my 2017 and 2015 Ram :) oh well, lost over $10k to drive a POS for 13 months and 30k miles.

Hardly a PoS for just not good enough AC....but glad you are happy now.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't this the wrong time of the year to be asking about AC performance?

Anyway, my '19 freezes people out in the summertime.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044824 miles.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned a 2019 and now a 2020 and both were/ are plagued with poor AC, 50 deg AC is all you get. They both blew/blow about 12-14 deg warmer than the other two vehicles I own.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, got my new AC module installed this morning and they ordered a new outside sensor for me. Without this site I would not have known about this stuff. I won't be able to report back on the A/C until it gets hot here - May should do it in NC !

ldoh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, got my new AC module installed this morning and they ordered a new outside sensor for me. Without this site I would not have known about this stuff. I won't be able to report back on the A/C until it gets hot here - May should do it in NC !

Nice! Hopefully our ACs will finally work like all other vehicles on the road. Not much to ask for.

This was a real eye opener into the dirty inner workings of how FCA and their independent dealers handle auto warranties. Over a year with FCA silent on the matter, dealerships telling customers they can't duplicate the problem or the AC is working within specifications.

Thank goodness this time it all worked out for those willing to hold on to hope or take on the risk of an AC hack.

Azhar

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie, At hot summer when the ambient temperature over 113F the ac performance is not good at all , new car with low mileage and it looks there is no technical problem with the ac system but the design, it is not designed to perform good at higher temperatures. In my opinion the car needs bigger condenser and evaporator as well as front cooling fan dedicated for ac.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie, At hot summer when the ambient temperature over 113F the ac performance is not good at all , new car with low mileage and it looks there is no technical problem with the ac system but the design, it is not designed to perform good at higher temperatures. In my opinion the car needs bigger condenser and evaporator as well as front cooling fan dedicated for ac.
If you're still under warranty, get the TSB done. it makes a huge difference (for the better).

Cheers,

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mine is only slightly betetr since I had the TSB done. However we have had a much cooler that normal spring so far here in NC. No way would it keep up in the previos posters 113 degree weather.

U

User_3336

I will report the issue appears to be fixed/resolved in the 2021's! On max a/c (not recirc), I can get about 40 degree vent temps (slightly lower than 40 in recirc after the cab has cooled down).
Mine gets pretty cold. It was only 88 here today, but the humidity was almost 82%. I kept comfy on an hour trip, and actually had to turn the a/c off a few times.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints. Mine gets to my programmed temp just as fast as my previous Rams and Fords. Most people don't need OR want 40° air blowing on them. All they care about is does the system get to the programmed temperature in a reasonable time and maintain it. My all black in and out Ram with the panoramic roof does that. I've had plenty of different passengers and I have someone in the back seat most of the time and no one belly aches about the a/c. If you want to ride around in meatlocker conditions, maybe this truck won't meet your expectations.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.

“I can tell you as a Dodge person my entire life, if something happens to a Dodge, the whole world hears about it. If it happens to any other brand no one hears about it! Always been that way.” – 2012RAM1500RT - (quoted without permission)

I have an early 2019 and I measured mine at 41. Will they all make that temp? Probably not. That's why the 45 degree specification, to allow for component tolerance. I would bet that measuring 10 or 20 F-150s in a row would also show a variance. Is the often quoted F-series spec of 35-40 @ 70 degrees ambient better? It is. But do we know if every single one performs the same?

I wonder if the all of the discussion around 'the problem' has led to self-fulfilling dissatisfaction.

When checking the parts from the TSB on AC performance recently (in another thread), I found that all of the new parts are in the 2021 builds and were cut in on 2020s late in the production run. Surprisingly, after talking to the parts person at my dealership, the service department had never ordered the kit from the TSB. My tech. said the same thing. So Jus Cruisin as a very valid point.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.

PostPremium

Reaction score
“I can tell you as a Dodge person my entire life, if something happens to a Dodge, the whole world hears about it. If it happens to any other brand no one hears about it! Always been that way.” – 2012RAM1500RT - (quoted without permission)

I have an early 2019 and I measured mine at 41. Will they all make that temp? Probably not. That's why the 45 degree specification, to allow for component tolerance. I would bet that measuring 10 or 20 F-150s in a row would also show a variance. Is the often quoted F-series spec of 35-40 @ 70 degrees ambient better? It is. But do we know if every single one performs the same?

I wonder if the all of the discussion around 'the problem' has led to self-fulfilling dissatisfaction.

When checking the parts from the TSB on AC performance recently (in another thread), I found that all of the new parts are in the 2021 builds and were cut in on 2020s late in the production run. Surprisingly, after talking to the parts person at my dealership, the service department had never ordered the kit from the TSB. My tech. said the same thing. So Jus Cruisin as a very valid point.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.
Their "spec" wasn't 45 degrees - it was much higher. If it was 45 degrees, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And the nature and extent of the TSB shows it was a real, serious problem. You don't do that expensive and invasive of a job for only a few problem trucks, much less turnaround and incorporate the redesign into new builds. And the redesign was implemented on all their new builds - that's a clue. It was a design flaw across the entire line.

They biffed on that AC design. Plain and simple.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their "spec" wasn't 45 degrees - it was much higher. If it was 45 degrees, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And the nature and extent of the TSB shows it was a real, serious problem. You don't do that expensive and invasive of a job for only a few problem trucks, much less turnaround and incorporate the redesign into new builds. And the redesign was implemented on all their new builds - that's a clue. It was a design flaw across the entire line.

They biffed on that AC design. Plain and simple.
It may have been a design flaw as you say, but the published specification was and always has been 45 degrees F. at 70 degrees ambient.

That spec is in the service manual.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread