5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Declined the extended warranty dealer pitch

Jackham

Reaction score
I wouldn't want the lifetime warranty as I wouldn't keep my truck that long. Also, from what I understand you have to be real careful with mods and how you service the vehicle etc..
Well I don't think I will modify. I think the day you modify these machines is over. They are so sophisticated I just don't think some market guy is going to save me any money in the long run. Pick a great dealer. Change fluids and filters there according to their schedule. Document. Any problem, here comes the warranty.
Now if you knew the truth when guys complain they broke the rules somewhere giving the company an opportunity to deny.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory warranty is 5yr/60,000 correct and I think 3yr/36,000 ? So you are really only purchasing the additional 2 years on the one adn 4 years on the other, correct?

I can't login to the Mopar site to see the exact coverage periods because the damn Mopar site enters my credentials, but then does not load my profile. I have to clear my cache for it to work, and I don't feel like doing that every day... Anyone else see that? You log into the Mopar site, and it say Hi, and never your name in the Account spot in the top right corner.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
The factory warranty is 5yr/60,000 correct and I think 3yr/36,000 ? So you are really only purchasing the additional 2 years on the one adn 4 years on the other, correct?

I can't login to the Mopar site to see the exact coverage periods because the **** Mopar site enters my credentials, but then does not load my profile. I have to clear my cache for it to work, and I don't feel like doing that every day... Anyone else see that? You log into the Mopar site, and it say Hi, and never your name in the Account spot in the top right corner.
Hmm maybe try a different browser? Chrome seems to work well.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I can't login to the Mopar site to see the exact coverage periods because the **** Mopar site enters my credentials, but then does not load my profile. I have to clear my cache for it to work, and I don't feel like doing that every day... Anyone else see that? You log into the Mopar site, and it say Hi, and never your name in the Account spot in the top right corner.

When you purchase the extended warranty it is running concurrently with the 3yr/36k. So if you purchase 7yr/100k from Ziegler (or the dealer), that adds 4yrs/64k to your factory warranty.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Do you have a web link you could provide for Ziegler? I want to make sure I’m looking in the right place. Maybe a contact name also?
Sorry I missed your question, but see others answered. There were a handful of different URLs that took me to Ziegler ... All pointing to the same destination. I didn't speak live to anyone, but the email traffic was from Moe, and documents were e-signed by Bob. I got my email acknowledgement within 20-30 minutes, showed up in Ram site and app same day. Hard copy version arrived via regular mail shortly after. Now will I manage to drive 100K miles in 8 years? That is very unlikely, as I do about half that. But the few hundred dollars for 'just in case' peace of mind was worth it to me. Doesn't hurt resale either.

Last edited:

mdelzell

Reaction score
Sorry I missed your question, but see others answered. There were a handful of different URLs that took me to Ziegler ... All pointing to the same destination. I didn't speak live to anyone, but the email traffic was from Moe, and documents were e-signed by Bob. I got my email acknowledgement within 20-30 minutes, showed up in Ram site and app same day. Hard copy version arrived via regular mail shortly after. Now will I manage to drive 100K miles in 8 years? That is very unlikely, as I do about half that. But the few hundred dollars for 'just in case' peace of mind was worth it to me. Doesn't hurt resale either.
Thanks so much for the additional detail!

kbUSMC2012

Reaction score
That way I see it, I’ve got 3 years to make up my mind on a warranty. If I plan on keeping the truck after that, I’ll make that decision at that time. But if I’m already having tons of problems out of it by the 3 year mark, it may be time to look at a different truck anyways...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That way I see it, I’ve got 3 years to make up my mind on a warranty. If I plan on keeping the truck after that, I’ll make that decision at that time. But if I’m already having tons of problems out of it by the 3 year mark, it may be time to look at a different truck anyways...
I felt the same way, but the discontinuation of the lifetime warranty forced my hand (we bought it).

Tpreston

Reaction score
From what I have read, on both 3rd party and on the FCA extended warranty, there are two big issues-

1) Mechanical Failure- this is the big wildcard for me. They give you a long list of items covered, but it has to fail due to mechanical failure, not wear and tear. In my opinion this gives them lots of room to deny claims as the mileage goes up.
2) Modifications- it looks like modifications, like suspension lifts or even bigger tires, will give the insurer an opening to deny a claim. I have heard of this problem from lots of Jeep people.
The FCA contract for Maximum Care Plan says the following will not be covered-
Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer,
including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications

I purchased the ESP for my Rebel but I hadn’t read the contract. Now I’m thinking about getting my money back.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I have read, on both 3rd party and on the FCA extended warranty, there are two big issues-

1) Mechanical Failure- this is the big wildcard for me. They give you a long list of items covered, but it has to fail due to mechanical failure, not wear and tear. In my opinion this gives them lots of room to deny claims as the mileage goes up.
2) Modifications- it looks like modifications, like suspension lifts or even bigger tires, will give the insurer an opening to deny a claim. I have heard of this problem from lots of Jeep people.
Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer,
including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications

I purchased the ESP for my Rebel but I hadn’t read the contract. Now I’m thinking about getting my money back.
It's always the fine print, thanks for pointing this out!

Viper67

Reaction score
I did the mopar max care 7 year unlimited miles for 3200. That’s bumper to bumper and includes a free rental car. I could hot shot and get a new tranny and engine every three years. ;). I won’t, but I could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did the mopar max care 7 year unlimited miles for 3200. That’s bumper to bumper and includes a free rental car. I could hot shot and get a new tranny and engine every three years. ;). I won’t, but I could.

And what makes you think that??? You will only get repairs if something is wrong and a replacement if it is SERIOUSLY wrong and cannot be repaired. If they see it has been abused, they will deny your claim.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

These stipulations apply to just about any warranty, factory or aftermarket. They're not going to cover parts that are designed to wear out, e.g. brake pads. But if your engine throws a rod at 150K miles, that's not 'wear and tear'; it's the definition of mechanical failure.

With few exceptions, warranties won't cover modified parts. However, a warranty provider cannot invalidate an entire warranty simply because some part of a vehicle has been modified, per the Magnuson-Moss Act. If you add a lift kit, for example, you shouldn't expect coverage of suspension-related issues. But your engine PCM would still be protected.

It boils down to whether you plan to perform significant mods or not.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
EXACTLY what @SpeedyV said above...don't cash in your warranty unless you really need the money...it will still protect you but you have to be smart about your expectations if you have done a mod like the suspension as SpeedyV stated above.

runamuck

Reaction score
I had a Ford Expedition that had a motor blow up at 70k miles. Thank goodness I has the extended warranty or it would have been 20k.
My wife’s 2014 with 80k miles is in the shop for 3500 of air suspension repairs. Train is after 2000 in AC compressor and evaporator replace.
If you are going to keep your truck for more than 5 years or 75k I would strongly recommend an extended warranty. Especially this first year 2019 seems to have a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maybe so but I kept my 4x4 avalanche 10 years and it never even had a squeak. it was paid off for 5 years and I got 20,000$ trade-in. so I didnt do too bad on that one. I am hoping to get many good miles from my laramie but it is probably just a crap shoot.

Cygnus A

Reaction score
I bought it.. because i was worn the F out from being at the dealer for 8 hours. I am pissed at myself for buying into the BS, but i just wanted out of there by that point..

Users who are viewing this thread