5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Declined the extended warranty dealer pitch

XDBrad

Reaction score
I went with USAA and didn’t finance with them either. $1400 for 5/100k with zero deductible. Had really good luck with them on my previous GMC that had the active fuel management fail and took out the top end of the engine and all emissions at 45k. Provided a rental for the entire time the dealer had the truck as well. I had thought about canceling this one and getting the lifetime when it was available but then again I trade often so lifetime probably wouldn’t pay in the end.

Zinger

Reaction score
Extended warranties are insurance for your vehicle. Like insurance, they are priced based on the expected payouts over the life of the warranty. The insurer has carefully calculated this and has priced the warranty such that in aggregate, they should pay out less than they take in. You can look at it this way, on average you will NOT have repairs totaling more than the cost of your warranty. If this were not true, the insurer would lose money in aggregate, which would be a bad business decision and not worth administrating the warranty at all. There will of course be some who do end up with repair costs greater than the cost of the warranty, but those are not within the normal range of probability.

What it comes down to in my opinion is if you think you will indeed have extensive repair costs out of warranty, and most importantly, if you are able to cover those costs yourself should that actually happen. If you can't, then perhaps a warranty is a good decision, but remember, the odds are you will not have those extensive costs, statistically speaking.

My Ram is the 5th new car purchased in my household. The other 4 I've owned I declined any extended warranty, and as predicted, none of them needed any extensive repairs. I would have spent thousands on warranties, and I never would have came close to making a positive return on those purchases.

Now, with the Ram I did go for the lifetime warranty, only because I felt for the price, and the time period that I typically keep my vehicles, I felt it actually was a well priced option. Now that FCA has stopped the lifetime warranty, I feel even more justified that the lifetime warranty was not paying back for them, which leads me to believe it was a good decision on my part. Now with the lifetime warranty no longer being offered, I would not purchase an extended warranty as per my usual logic and prior warranty experiences.

U

User_3336

Everyone has their theories and justifications for buying and NOT buying extended warranties.

Do I buy extended warranties on tv's and computers and other low prices items? NO? They're disposable, and easily replaceable.

BUT....

I don't feel my justification was skewed for the $1100 extended warranty that I spent to protect my 45,000 truck protected. Like others have stated, *IF* my truck had to have even ONE repair out of its factory coverage, the extended warranty has basically paid for itself, AND still is useful for the remaining life of the extended warranty.

I thought nothing about buying an ESP for my truck, and I did it within the first week I had it.

Extended warranties are insurance for your vehicle. Like insurance, they are priced based on the expected payouts over the life of the warranty. The insurer has carefully calculated this and has priced the warranty such that in aggregate, they should pay out less than they take in. You can look at it this way, on average you will NOT have repairs totaling more than the cost of your warranty. If this were not true, the insurer would lose money in aggregate, which would be a bad business decision and not worth administrating the warranty at all. There will of course be some who do end up with repair costs greater than the cost of the warranty, but those are not within the normal range of probability.

What it comes down to in my opinion is if you think you will indeed have extensive repair costs out of warranty, and most importantly, if you are able to cover those costs yourself should that actually happen. If you can't, then perhaps a warranty is a good decision, but remember, the odds are you will not have those extensive costs, statistically speaking.

My Ram is the 5th new car purchased in my household. The other 4 I've owned I declined any extended warranty, and as predicted, none of them needed any extensive repairs. I would have spent thousands on warranties, and I never would have came close to making a positive return on those purchases.

Now, with the Ram I did go for the lifetime warranty, only because I felt for the price, and the time period that I typically keep my vehicles, I felt it actually was a well priced option. Now that FCA has stopped the lifetime warranty, I feel even more justified that the lifetime warranty was not paying back for them, which leads me to believe it was a good decision on my part. Now with the lifetime warranty no longer being offered, I would not purchase an extended warranty as per my usual logic and prior warranty experiences.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I bought an extended warranty through the dealership. I talked them down from $3,750 for 8 years / 100,000 miles to $2,250 for 9 years / unlimited miles. I knew I could not do any better anywhere else so I took the deal. Only issue I see is that the warranty is through Smart Autocare and not Mopar direct. Anyone have any experience with this warranty provider? Would I be better off with the Mopar direct warranty for 8 years / 125,000 miles for $2,450? It appears to be the same bumper to bumper coverage however the yelp reviews are not so good for the Smart Autocare company. Thoughts?

amazing210

Reaction score
They priced matched ziegler for me 7yr/100000 for 1595.....maxcare

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should check this out. I did, and it's legit and covers all.

EXTENDED WARRANTY through Insurance Carrier - Geico. 7 years/100,000 miles for $210!

Remember, the truck has a 5 year warranty and a 3 year all from purchase, so you are paying $1500 for 2 years, or 4. Not a full 7. I am paying $210 for the same. $30 per year (actually $15 per 6 months as my policy bills) for the same coverage. Links included at the beginning of my post. And I checked it out and verified it from others who have actually used it.

Neokane

Reaction score
I negotiated an 8 yr 125k warranty in with the truck purchase.
I knew I was going to get it one way or another. Either buy the truck at 55 plus warranty, or get them down to 52ish and pay for it outright. I am sure they still made their money on the deal.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I bought an extended warranty through the dealership. I talked them down from $3,750 for 8 years / 100,000 miles to $2,250 for 9 years / unlimited miles. I knew I could not do any better anywhere else so I took the deal. Only issue I see is that the warranty is through Smart Autocare and not Mopar direct. Anyone have any experience with this warranty provider? Would I be better off with the Mopar direct warranty for 8 years / 125,000 miles for $2,450? It appears to be the same bumper to bumper coverage however the yelp reviews are not so good for the Smart Autocare company. Thoughts?
At minimum see how long you have to change your mind and cancel. You have time to add the FCA warranty.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
At minimum see how long you have to change your mind and cancel. You have time to add the FCA warranty.
30 days to cancel, confirmed. Dealer also told me I could cancel within 30 days when I asked. What he didnt tell me was the $75 cancelation fee that I will be charged according to the contract, sheisty. Maybe it is a good warranty provider but I think I’d feel more comfortable with a mopar direct one.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
So the Ziegler is a true mopar warranty accepted by all of the mopar dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes... I purchased my extended warranty 7/125,000 with tire/wheel care through Ziegler. About week later I received the service contract from them and about a week after that I received the official contract from Mopar.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Once again this forum tempts me to spend money! Or maybe I should say prompts me since I've actually done it. But as always, lots of great info - Helps to guide towards a decision that works for me.

I just bought Max Care from Zeigler online. I went with 8 Yrs / 100K Miles with a $100 deductible. Price was $1,975. I can also confirm the 'payinfull' (no quotes) Promo code still knocks $365 off the total.

The only other vehicle, out of literally dozens, that I've bought an ESP on was my wife's Chrysler Crossfire. It was more expensive to fix than this Ram ... Well, back then at least. Lots of new tech now.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I’m gonna get my extended warranty through Geico. You have 15-months or 15,000 miles to buy it.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I’m gonna get my extended warranty through Geico. You have 15-months or 15,000 miles to buy it.
Do you have to have auto insurance through Geico to buy the extended warranty?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a 7 year/75K Mopar Factory MAX plan with a $100 deductible for $1255 since I don't drive the truck more than 10K miles/year. My advice is the following:

DON'T EVER buy a third-party warranty...period. I don't classify the Geico as 3rd-party. Stick with factory plans as there are great deals on the net if you shop around!

Users who are viewing this thread