5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Declined the extended warranty dealer pitch

SColang22

Reaction score
I went with USAA and didn’t finance with them either. $1400 for 5/100k with zero deductible. Had really good luck with them on my previous GMC that had the active fuel management fail and took out the top end of the engine and all emissions at 45k. Provided a rental for the entire time the dealer had the truck as well. I had thought about canceling this one and getting the lifetime when it was available but then again I trade often so lifetime probably wouldn’t pay in the end.
I got rid of USAA. Had them for insurance and they were terrible and they were almost twice as much as other insurance companies for me. I was really disappointed with them after i got rear ended in my last truck. They did absolutely nothing for me.

alangsam

Reaction score
you guys are worrying me. I have had nearly all gm trucks except for a 2003 ram 1500 till this new 2019 laramie and never had one unwarranteed issue on any vehicle. I never get the esp or any extra service policies. I guess I have a hard time with the notion that on the one hand they are telling me that the new ram truck is great and on the other hand I better pony up a cpl. more thousand to cover all the crap that is about to go wrong...I guess I should just plan on trading before the warranty runs out. I have always got more than I owed at trade time so Gap is another extra cost item I never get.

I had a Ford Expedition that had a motor blow up at 70k miles. Thank goodness I has the extended warranty or it would have been 20k.
My wife’s 2014 with 80k miles is in the shop for 3500 of air suspension repairs. Train is after 2000 in AC compressor and evaporator replace.
If you are going to keep your truck for more than 5 years or 75k I would strongly recommend an extended warranty. Especially this first year 2019 seems to have a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackham

Reaction score
As usual. Coming from Montana. I find most of these discussions useless. Same thing as Kelly Blue Book etc. I would think the guys in Texas feels the same way. Hitting 100,000 miles here is simply easy. And they are easy miles. But all these rating, insurance systems refuse to understand there is quite a difference between Rhode Island and Montana. What a rip off.

Neokane

Reaction score
As usual. Coming from Montana. I find most of these discussions useless. Same thing as Kelly Blue Book etc. I would think the guys in Texas feels the same way. Hitting 100,000 miles here is simply easy. And they are easy miles. But all these rating, insurance systems refuse to understand there is quite a difference between Rhode Island and Montana. What a rip off.

I have been to Montana and totally understand this!!
Similar to my drive to work, I see 98% of the people in the last 2 miles of my drive.

Crossthread

Reaction score
I purchased a CNA extaneded warranty bumper to bumper life time, with a $100 deductible for $2300. I have a bud that works at the dealer I purchased it from, He told me CNA hardly ever declines a claim and it is excepted all over the country. I plan on driving this truck till the tires fall off, so I asked the question, when does the warranty stops paying out ( I figured they are not replacing a motor on a 30 year old truck), the answer is , it pays out till the warranty work equals the original purchase price of the truck. :}

Jackham

Reaction score
I purchased a CNA extaneded warranty bumper to bumper life time, with a $100 deductible for $2300. I have a bud that works at the dealer I purchased it from, He told me CNA hardly ever declines a claim and it is excepted all over the country. I plan on driving this truck till the tires fall off, so I asked the question, when does the warranty stops paying out ( I figured they are not replacing a motor on a 30 year old truck), the answer is , it pays out till the warranty work equals the original purchase price of the truck. :}
I looked that up and it looks dang good. Emailed it to my dealership.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let's just hope CNA stays in business that long. Got burned once by a HIGHLY REPUTABLE warranty company in the past that was A+ rated...all of a sudden they filed bankruptcy:mad: I don't care what anyone says, it's just not worth the risk to go with these 3rd party companies...MOPAR Factory MAX plan all the way for peace of mind. Dealers make a KILLING off these 3rd party warranties and will promise you the world...I have seen this happen way too many times.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Let's just hope CNA stays in business that long. Got burned once by a HIGHLY REPUTABLE warranty company in the past that was A+ rated...all of a sudden they filed bankruptcy:mad: I don't care what anyone says, it's just not worth the risk to go with these 3rd party companies...MOPAR Factory MAX plan all the way for peace of mind. Dealers make a KILLING off these 3rd party warranties and will promise you the world...I have seen this happen way too many times.

100% Agree!!! Only Mopar Extended Warranties

I've been burned twice what a Honda 3rd party warranty, Never again!

TVANVA

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most things are negotiable at the dealership, even things you might not expect like parts and extended warranties. OF COURSE they aren't going to tell you that. If you are on this forum, you were most likely well prepared for negotiating the price of your truck. You should also be prepared for dealing with the financial staff, and have printed quotes from Zeigler and Clay Robbins at the ready. You might be surprised that they suddenly will offer competitive pricing when shown some other warranty offers. Probably won't work on a third part warranty, and may differ depending on other parts of your deal, the time of month, the cycle of the moon, etc.

Worth a try, and little effort on your part.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most things are negotiable at the dealership, even things you might not expect like parts and extended warranties. OF COURSE they aren't going to tell you that. If you are on this forum, you were most likely well prepared for negotiating the price of your truck. You should also be prepared for dealing with the financial staff, and have printed quotes from Zeigler and Clay Robbins at the ready. You might be surprised that they suddenly will offer competitive pricing when shown some other warranty offers. Probably won't work on a third part warranty, and may differ depending on other parts of your deal, the time of month, the cycle of the moon, etc.

Worth a try, and little effort on your part.

The dealership I brought my truck wouldn't even touch the Zeigler price. He told me if you can get it at that price get it there.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Purchased my 1500 over the weekend. I passed on the extended warranty and gap protection pitch from the business manager. The business manager explained that while I have 3yrs or 30,000 on the bumper to bumper, it is really only true bumper to bumper on EVERYTHING for 1 yr or a certain mileage (i forget the mileage). I have the Longhorn with etourque engine, 12" nav and have noticed some issues already that I will require me to bring it in for servicing.

With those issues (relatively minor that can be fixed) and other issues concerning the new gen e-tourque, it gives me pause.. did I make a mistake by not purchasing any additional coverage? Is this extended protection something I can add down the road and if so, when and how would I do that? It looks like the only insurance product that he pitched that I may be interested in is the 72 mo/100,000 complete coverage. I am interested in seeing what others have done and what you recommend me to do. It sucks that the lifetime warranty was pulled off the table because I probably would have bit at that. Thanks for any input!
Hows this one?

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/get_coverage/choose_warranty/

Jackham

Reaction score
100% Agree!!! Only Mopar Extended Warranties

I've been burned twice what a Honda 3rd party warranty, Never again!
Well if Mopar offers a lifetime warrant I would go that way.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Well if Mopar offers a lifetime warrant I would go that way.

I wouldn't want the lifetime warranty as I wouldn't keep my truck that long. Also, from what I understand you have to be real careful with mods and how you service the velichle etc..

mdelzell

Reaction score
Once again this forum tempts me to spend money! Or maybe I should say prompts me since I've actually done it. But as always, lots of great info - Helps to guide towards a decision that works for me.

I just bought Max Care from Zeigler online. I went with 8 Yrs / 100K Miles with a $100 deductible. Price was $1,975. I can also confirm the 'payinfull' (no quotes) Promo code still knocks $365 off the total.

The only other vehicle, out of literally dozens, that I've bought an ESP on was my wife's Chrysler Crossfire. It was more expensive to fix than this Ram ... Well, back then at least. Lots of new tech now.
Do you have a web link you could provide for Ziegler? I want to make sure I’m looking in the right place. Maybe a contact name also?

Users who are viewing this thread