5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Declined the extended warranty dealer pitch

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Purchased my 1500 over the weekend. I passed on the extended warranty and gap protection pitch from the business manager. The business manager explained that while I have 3yrs or 30,000 on the bumper to bumper, it is really only true bumper to bumper on EVERYTHING for 1 yr or a certain mileage (i forget the mileage). I have the Longhorn with etourque engine, 12" nav and have noticed some issues already that I will require me to bring it in for servicing.

With those issues (relatively minor that can be fixed) and other issues concerning the new gen e-tourque, it gives me pause.. did I make a mistake by not purchasing any additional coverage? Is this extended protection something I can add down the road and if so, when and how would I do that? It looks like the only insurance product that he pitched that I may be interested in is the 72 mo/100,000 complete coverage. I am interested in seeing what others have done and what you recommend me to do. It sucks that the lifetime warranty was pulled off the table because I probably would have bit at that. Thanks for any input!

cruz-in

Reaction score
yeah, IMHO, $2990 for a lifetime warranty on this tech laden of a truck was a scream'in deal...but they are selling lots of trucks so I guess they don't need it to entice buyers.

U

User_3336

You did the right thing by declining any sales pitch on an extended warranty BY YOUR SELLING DEALER.

Although the lifetime plan is gone, there are several others that will perhaps suit your needs, like a 72/100K.

Zeigler still has the $365 off using the promo code "PAYINFULL", so you might want to configure one over there and see its probably thousands LESS than your selling dealer wanted.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/default.aspx

U

User_3336

I just configured a 6 year / 100,000 mile MOPAR MAX CARE esp with a $100 ded. on a 2019 RAM
and it came out to be $1,835.00... (with promo code)

How did that compare to your selling dealer's quote?

Reactions: Jtr

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Purchased my 1500 over the weekend. I passed on the extended warranty and gap protection pitch from the business manager. The business manager explained that while I have 3yrs or 30,000 on the bumper to bumper, it is really only true bumper to bumper on EVERYTHING for 1 yr or a certain mileage (i forget the mileage). Thanks for any input!

the business manager is selling you beach front property in Kansas. You Actually have a factory 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper, either the full 3 yrs or 36,000 miles which ever comes first on the entire vehicle.

U

User_3336

I just listen to all the finance manager's B/S selling pitch (as long as it might be). I'm shaking my head and agreeing all along, then at the end, a BIG FAT NO!!!!

Then I just go to Zeigler (for a RAM), and buy one there thousands cheaper and NO TAX!!!

My regular Dodge/Ram dealer doesn't even bring ESP up any longer.

The Nissan dealer finance manager actually got mad/took offense when I didn't buy it. I said "Just finish my paperwork and get me out of here".

ponypride

Reaction score
I got the 8 yr/125K with a $100 deductible for ~$1,650. Only put 12K-15K miles per year on the truck. Used Ziegler prior to the price increase.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just configured a 6 year / 100,000 mile MOPAR MAX CARE esp with a $100 ded. on a 2019 RAM
and it came out to be $1,835.00... (with promo code)

How did that compare to your selling dealer's quote?
Alot less! They wanted $37/m through the 72 month term! Thank you for this info!

U

User_3336

WOW! they were gonna soak you! you better head on over to Zeigler and look at theirs and save some $$$$$ if you are truly interested in an ESP for your truck! :)

PLUS no tax added on for an online purchase.

(You have to pay with a credit card to get the $365 off (payinfull), or they have a 0% payment plan, but you lose the promo discount).

Call Bob Cline directly. 269.685.3557

Alot less! They wanted $37/m through the 72 month term! Thank you for this info!

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WOW! they were gonna soak you! you better head on over to Zeigler and look at theirs and save some $$$$$ if you are truly interested in an ESP for your truck! :)

PLUS no tax added on for an online purchase.

(You have to pay with a credit card to get the $365 off (payinfull), or they have a 0% payment plan, but you lose the promo discount).

Call Bob Cline directly. 269.685.3557
Thank you sir!

U

User_3336

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3rd party warranties have too many restrictions...

My last RAM dealer tried to sell me a 3rd party one, and while it sounded good, it had to be taken to THAT dealer to avoid a $200 deductible. And it wasn't any cheaper than buying the geniune MOPAR warranty online.

When I asked why they didn't sell the MOPAR one, he said it was "too expensive". Later, he confessed they made a bigger profit off the 3rd party one.

How about some 3rd party ext warranties?

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3rd party warranties have too many restrictions...

My last RAM dealer tried to sell me a 3rd party one, and while it sounded good, it had to be taken to THAT dealer to avoid a $200 deductible. And it wasn't any cheaper than buying the geniune MOPAR warranty online.

When I asked why they didn't sell the MOPAR one, he said it was "too expensive". Later, he confessed they made a bigger profit off the 3rd party one.
Same crap happened to me. Dealer told me there was no "lifetime warranty" anymore (this was before mopar cancelled it). Sold me a 8/100. Turns out it was the dealership warranty. I went back in and had them take their POS back and bought from Ziegler.

U

User_3336

Way to go! I bet you saved alot by buying online as well!

Zeigler has always did me right on price.

Same crap happened to me. Dealer told me there was no "lifetime warranty" anymore (this was before mopar cancelled it). Sold me a 8/100. Turns out it was the dealership warranty. I went back in and had them take their POS back and bought from Ziegler.

U

User_3336

That IS true...

BUT....

After 12 months or 12,000 miles, the price jumps $200. (it might be $300 now since the price increase mid year). And no guarantee FCA won't increase the price again like they did earlier.

ALSO, the you MAY have to take the vehicle in for a vehicle inspection after that period (although you are still under factory warranty).

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, there are a few advantages to buying an ESP early.....

You have 36 mos / 36,000 miles to shop around for the best deal on an extended warranty.

runamuck

Reaction score
you guys are worrying me. I have had nearly all gm trucks except for a 2003 ram 1500 till this new 2019 laramie and never had one unwarranteed issue on any vehicle. I never get the esp or any extra service policies. I guess I have a hard time with the notion that on the one hand they are telling me that the new ram truck is great and on the other hand I better pony up a cpl. more thousand to cover all the crap that is about to go wrong...I guess I should just plan on trading before the warranty runs out. I have always got more than I owed at trade time so Gap is another extra cost item I never get.

Reactions: Vic
U

User_3336

An ESP is simply insurance to avoid costly repairs in the future. You can't predict a failure of any part o a vehicle. Its all about peace of mind for me.

you guys are worrying me. I have had nearly all gm trucks except for a 2003 ram 1500 till this new 2019 laramie and never had one unwarranteed issue on any vehicle. I never get the esp or any extra service policies. I guess I have a hard time with the notion that on the one hand they are telling me that the new ram truck is great and on the other hand I better pony up a cpl. more thousand to cover all the crap that is about to go wrong...I guess I should just plan on trading before the warranty runs out. I have always got more than I owed at trade time so Gap is another extra cost item I never get.

Users who are viewing this thread