5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect subwoofer amp with 8.4 screen and 6 speaker system

FFemerson

Reaction score
There’s a lot of info to process for sure. Doesn’t help that Ram has made upgrading audio especially tricky. Here’s my two cents. Take things in steps:

- first upgrade your two dash 3.5’s (middle one is blank on the base setup). Popular choices are Infinity, JL Audio, Kicker, JBL. You will need metra harnesses. If you purchase your speakers from Crutchfield they will include for free.
- next you can upgrade you door 6x9’s. The door panels are in tight. First one is a huge pita. After that you will get the hang of it. Check these audio threads for how to remove door panels. If you can’t find the info let us know and we will point you to it. Speakers choices are largely same as above.
This is also where the anc drone is most likely to creep up. You can try matching the phase of the stock speakers by: checking the phase, then making sure metra harness and new speaker match, if not, swap the metra pins/wires.....otherwise you can just choose to disconnect/bypass the anc completely (see below). Keep in mind that if you add an amp you will have to verify/correct phase of certain speakers by swapping polarity....this can be check and done at the amp. No biggie.
- when deciding to bypass/disconnect the anc you have a couple of options. 1.) Follow the instructions for unpinning the anc mics 2.) purchase a $20 anc bypass harness or 3.) purchase a new wiring harness adapter (link below) for $40 that will allow you to easily connect an amp(s)/subs and then you can either unpin/cut the anc wires in this harness (doesn’t matter if you cut since you can simply remove this harness down the road and return to stock).

If you tackle it in pieces like this it won’t seem as overwhelming and things will make more sense as you go along. Ask questions along the way. Keep us posted. Here’s the harness which allows simple connections for your speaker ins/outs so you can connect a sub/amp. It connects right into your anc harness under the driver’s seat.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Wjp3g...C-APH-CH01-AmpPro-Harness.html?omnews=2795447

I have a 2020 with 8.4” and the base speakers (non amplified). Is that APH-CH01 all I need to wire in an aftermarket amplifier using the high level inputs on the amp? The description says it’s for up to 2018 WITH factory amplifier.

rah6887

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 8.4” and the base speakers (non amplified). Is that APH-CH01 all I need to wire in an aftermarket amplifier using the high level inputs on the amp? The description says it’s for up to 2018 WITH factory amplifier.
I have the same system, and I used the one in the link, just another option, if you'd rather go with low level inputs.
The LOC is already wired in, ready for RCA's, and a remote wire, made it super easy, plug n play.
20191228_113403.jpg

FFemerson

Reaction score
I have the same system, and I used the one in the link, just another option, if you'd rather go with low level inputs.
The LOC is already wired in, ready for RCA's, and a remote wire, made it super easy, plug n play.
View attachment 42989

Thanks for the reply. I already have a LOC, and that one you linked looks basically like the $40 bypass with an LOC attached, so I’m just gonna get the bypass. Thanks!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

yes that harness will work and is all you need as far as wiring. You still a loc/dsp or something that will show a “load” otherwise the head unit won’t pass the signal. Some units will have those resistors built in and others don’t so you have to wire in load resistors.

FFemerson

Reaction score
yes that harness will work and is all you need as far as wiring. You still a loc/dsp or something that will show a “load” otherwise the head unit won’t pass the signal. Some units will have those resistors built in and others don’t so you have to wire in load resistors.

How do you know if your LOC has them built in? I have the Scosche LOC2SL. Also I’m just adding a mono block for a sub. Keeping stock speakers powered by the radio, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Patsy1099

Reaction score
How do you know if your LOC has them built in? I have the Scosche LOC2SL. Also I’m just adding a mono block for a sub. Keeping stock speakers powered by the radio, if that makes a difference.

you would have to read the specs in the manual or give them a call and ask them if their loc has built-in resistors that presents a load to the head unit. Otherwise you can just try to and if you are getting anything into your amp then just solder some in-line. They are cheap enough and easy enough to do, wiring them into your harness. I think ljcustoms sells a harness with them wired in already. One of the vendors do I think it’s them.

FFemerson

Reaction score
you would have to read the specs in the manual or give them a call and ask them if their loc has built-in resistors that presents a load to the head unit. Otherwise you can just try to and if you are getting anything into your amp then just solder some in-line. They are cheap enough and easy enough to do, wiring them into your harness. I think ljcustoms sells a harness with them wired in already. One of the vendors do I think it’s them.

Do you have a link showing more info about the resistors? Search is bringing up too many results and I can’t find a clear solution or how to. Thanks again

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Do you have a link showing more info about the resistors? Search is bringing up too many results and I can’t find a clear solution or how to. Thanks again

a 5W 47ohm should be good for you. You just need one for each of the positive wires going from the wiring harness to your amp so you don’t need a pack of 30 but they are cheap. Again you will only need to have these soldered inline if the loc/dsp does have this built in and show a load but adding them anyway won’t hurt anything.

FFemerson

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the info. About 13 years ago I used to run a car audio installation company, and things were never this difficult!

delosh

Reaction score

Why not use the AP4-CH41 R.2? I have 2019, 8.4”, non amplified. I recently installed this interface along with a JL 900/5 and three Sundown 8” in a custom enclosure. This interface worked perfectly. ANC gets bypassed and I plugged the amp outputs right into the trucks speakers wires under the driver seat - not a single wire cut or factory harness modified.

FFemerson

Reaction score
Why not use the AP4-CH41 R.2? I have 2019, 8.4”, non amplified. I recently installed this interface along with a JL 900/5 and three Sundown 8” in a custom enclosure. This interface worked perfectly. ANC gets bypassed and I plugged the amp outputs right into the trucks speakers wires under the driver seat - not a single wire cut or factory harness modified.

for no reason other than trying to avoid spending $250, to be honest.

delosh

Reaction score
for no reason other than trying to avoid spending $250, to be honest.

I get it. Thing is expensive. I chose to use it since these OEM systems are so integrated into everything. I didn’t want to be surprised with any unexpected quirks or maybe have to settle with something not functioning correctly.

FFemerson

Reaction score
I have the PAC APH CH01 en route to my house currently. Does it disable the ANC, or do I still need to do that? And if so, I can just cut the mic wires in the PAC unit, correct?

dano257

Reaction score
View attachment 42989
Is this install as simple as plugging this harness into the ANC amp under the seat then running the amp RCA's to it? I haven't installed any car audio since the 80's in a Datsun B210!!! If the installation is just using this harness, do all other features still operate as normal? I use the Android Auto feature regularly and would not want to interfere with it. Thanks

rah6887

Reaction score
Is this install as simple as plugging this harness into the ANC amp under the seat then running the amp RCA's to it? I haven't installed any car audio since the 80's in a Datsun B210!!! If the installation is just using this harness, do all other features still operate as normal? I use the Android Auto feature regularly and would not want to interfere with it. Thanks
Yes, RCA's & remote wire. Run your power wire and ground your amp, you're done.
And everything still works as it did prior to the install.
The ANC is bypassed, but to be honest, it seems just as quiet in the cabin without it.

Javier22

Reaction score
OK... Found some things out and still need a few more answers.

If you have an amplified system, this looks like a great option.
https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-ch41

If you do not, I believe something like the Audio Control LC2i would be the best option to add a subwoofer amp.
https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc2i/

I found the audio schematics from this thread:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/page-2

Question.
Where can I grab the audio signal for the LC2i?
From the ANC under the seat or from a front speaker?

Anyone done this yet?
Yes you can use the lc2i

dano257

Reaction score
Yes, RCA's & remote wire. Run your power wire and ground your amp, you're done.
And everything still works as it did prior to the install.
The ANC is bypassed, but to be honest, it seems just as quiet in the cabin without it.
Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread