5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

Brady_SS

Reaction score
If you like Undercover check out the Amorflex. It's got Premium-Grade LINE-X® Coating for the finish. Their promo video shows a bowling ball being dropped on it and a guy trying to scratch it with a wrench. Although I haven't tried anything like that to test it out, it seems pretty durable so for.

Way ahead of you, I have one on order. Talked to the vendor and it came highly recommended for being hail resistant. It was either the ArmorFlex or a Bak F1 and I was a little leary of the Bak's finish fading vs the Line X on the Undercover. I'm hoping to get my truck back today or tomorrow from the PDR shop and maybe have the new cover for a weekend install.

macallien

Reaction score
I have the Retrax MX on order. Store had installed one on vehicle identical to mine. No issues with rambles seemed pretty nice fit weather wise. We'll post pics when installed.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Here's my tonneau dilemma. My truck came with the mopar soft trifold, which is not a great product. I don't like how it bows upward in the center, and all I see in my rear view mirror is the soft vinyl bouncing from the air coming off the top of the truck. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Lomax, which I think is beautiful, but due to some other issues I've had with my truck, FCA has agreed to reimburse me for half the cost of a Mopar hard folding tonneau, which I believe is very close to a Bakflip MX4. Basically, it will run me about $400 with FCA sending me a check for the other half. Should I take this deal, or still go for the Lomax?

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Did it destroy your sunroof?

Thankfully no. I was more worried about that than anything. After it stopped (30 minutes of marble to golf ball sized hail), I went out in the rain and checked for broken glass and the sunroof. Ended up with small dents on pretty much every panel from the hood to the bed. Adjuster has it listed at 40 hits on the hood alone, almost 8000$ in PDR work. Glad it can all be done that way rather than having to repaint. Truck has been in the shop 2 weeks now and I'm stuck in a rental Nissan Armada. Needless to say I'm ready to get my ride back.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thankfully no. I was more worried about that than anything. After it stopped (30 minutes of marble to golf ball sized hail), I went out in the rain and checked for broken glass and the sunroof. Ended up with small dents on pretty much every panel from the hood to the bed. Adjuster has it listed at 40 hits on the hood alone, almost 8000$ in PDR work. Glad it can all be done that way rather than having to repaint. Truck has been in the shop 2 weeks now and I'm stuck in a rental Nissan Armada. Needless to say I'm ready to get my ride back.
I’m so worried about this now that I live in north Texas! I’m working on being able to squeeze my baby in the garage, I do not want to deal with this hail damage.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Here's my tonneau dilemma. My truck came with the mopar soft trifold, which is not a great product. I don't like how it bows upward in the center, and all I see in my rear view mirror is the soft vinyl bouncing from the air coming off the top of the truck. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Lomax, which I think is beautiful, but due to some other issues I've had with my truck, FCA has agreed to reimburse me for half the cost of a Mopar hard folding tonneau, which I believe is very close to a Bakflip MX4. Basically, it will run me about $400 with FCA sending me a check for the other half. Should I take this deal, or still go for the Lomax?

Anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Anybody?

To clarify, FCA is offering to give you a hard tri fold (bakflip) for half the cost? ($400)? Tough to pass up that price assuming FCA does not screw around with your money getting it to you. I think it should be comparable to the Lomax and a lot of people have them. Probably just go with that. I do have the Lomax however and so far I like it a lot. Bakflip kinda cool how you can flip it up on the last fold without having to take it out and store it somewhere when needed.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
To clarify, FCA is offering to give you a hard tri fold (bakflip) for half the cost? ($400)? Tough to pass up that price assuming FCA does not screw around with your money getting it to you. I think it should be comparable to the Lomax and a lot of people have them. Probably just go with that. I do have the Lomax however and so far I like it a lot. Bakflip kinda cool how you can flip it up on the last fold without having to take it out and store it somewhere when needed.

Yes...I have to purchase it and they will reimburse me for half the cost which they are saying takes about 2 weeks. I much prefer the look of the Lomax but I suppose this is too good a deal to pass on. Backflip told me it is a G2 with the additional tailgate seal.

gatesb77

Reaction score
I love mine, it's the Extang Revolution. No velcro strips like other roll up ones, sits very flush. Took the truck to the beach last month, it came a monsoon on the way back thanks to Hurricane Micheal, and our luggage was dry as a bone when we got home.

How’s the Extang been holding up?

BertieHew

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Undercover Ridgelander? If so comments please.
I have one on my 2018 Power Wagon and really like it. I recommended it to my friend for his Tacoma and it has turned out well for him. I just got a new Ram for the wife and am 90% on another Ridgelander. I like the way it sits on the bed and the utility of it for bikes/ski equipment etc. I have a diamondback on the old Silverado and have enjoyed it as well. But for the wife I think the diamondback is a tad too rugged in appearance and will probably stick with another Ridgelander.

Grunkster

Reaction score
yes i want to know if those tie down rings will hold a dirtbike (on access limited cover)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the the RetraxPRO MX retractable truck bed cover because it was the Premium Aluminum Series cover. I plan on keeping this truck for awhile and want the bed cover to last. They offered a matte finish that went with the theme of my truck and I liked that it has a lock to keep the cargo secure.

It was over the OP request for being under $1K but I think it was worth it IMHO.
23275 23276
We are in the middle of pollen season in Georgia...

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you'll get water in the back corners with a solid cover. Water gets in through the big gaps on each end of the tailgate. There are no seals.

Have you figured out a way to combat this? I bought a Lomax and like it overall but those huge Tailgate gaps really suck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went with the the RetraxPRO MX retractable truck bed cover because it was the Premium Aluminum Series cover. I plan on keeping this truck for awhile and want the bed cover to last. They offered a matte finish that went with the theme of my truck and I liked that it has a lock to keep the cargo secure.

It was over the OP request for being under $1K but I think it was worth it IMHO.

I have the same exact cover. The RETRAX is the BMW of covers and can't be beat. This is my third. Pricey? Yes...but you get what you pay for!

Users who are viewing this thread