5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the Push to Start Button

Taegee2

Reaction score
Did the swap today, easy swap. Have pulled the radio many times for other jobs so took maybe 5 minutes start to end. Took some pictures for those who are uneasy or just would like more information.

These instructions are for a 2019 Laramie 1500 with 12" screen.

First pull the cubby liner out of the dash cubby above the radio screen. This rubber piece just pulls up, it may stick if it hasn't been removed before but just get around the edges and pull up.
View attachment 88873

Next you will need to remove the two phillips screws that hold the screen in.
View attachment 88874
View attachment 88875

Once this is done, only clips hold the radio in. I grab the top of the radio where the cubby is and pull straight out quick and hard. This will unsnap the clips holding the radio in.
View attachment 88876

Once you pull the screen out you will have some connections depending on your options package to disconnect if you want to fully remove the screen (I recommend). I don't have air ride, but do have sensors so only one connector at the bottom for me. I placed an arrow at each of my connections.
View attachment 88882
View attachment 88883

Once you remove the screen yo ucan access the back of the button. I believe you could stop here, push the button forward into the cab and replace without removing that trim piece. I chose to remove the trim piece, to get to the clips easier to release it.
View attachment 88888

If you chose to remove the trim panel like I did, this little piece pulls straight out, the top left side does slide under the cluster trim bezel so pay attention to that for removal and install. It is held in by 3 push clips.

View attachment 88889
View attachment 88890
Next post for more.......
Nice write up...Glad I didn't get the stick-on ones (most who got them complain of them falling off). These are OEM replacement and the red will compliment the Rebel's red interior. Ordering one now....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nice write up...Glad I didn't get the stick-on ones (most who got them complain of them falling off). These are OEM replacement and the red will compliment the Rebel's red interior. Ordering one now....
It was a very nice write-up...just totally unnecessary. My stick on one was never an issue and was actually a pain to get it back off so I could clean up my old switch should I ever need it or someone wanted it.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Just for everyone's reference, there is no need at all to pull the dash to do this. You can reach up behind the panel from beneath, push the clips down, and slide the entire assembly forward and out. Swapping the knob can be done in 1-2 minutes. It really is that easy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just for everyone's reference, there is no need at all to pull the dash to do this. You can reach up behind the panel from beneath, push the clips down, and slide the entire assembly forward and out. Swapping the knob can be done in 1-2 minutes. It really is that easy.
Yes, that has been mentioned many times above in this thread.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Securityguy,

In case you weren't aware, there is no need at all to pull the dash to do this. You can reach up behind the panel from beneath, push the clips down, and slide the entire assembly forward and out. Swapping the knob can be done in 1-2 minutes. It really is that easy.

Have a great day!!

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey Securityguy,

In case you weren't aware, there is no need at all to pull the dash to do this. You can reach up behind the panel from beneath, push the clips down, and slide the entire assembly forward and out. Swapping the knob can be done in 1-2 minutes. It really is that easy.

Have a great day!!

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Thanks Bud...I wonder if @Olive Green 5.7 knows that....:ROFLMAO:

YELOSUB

Reaction score
Ok I got one ordered, let’s see if it actually arrives...Last one I ordered the vendor cancelled almost immediately saying it was out of stock

VerbalizerOne

Reaction score
Continued...

Now your old switch is removed, its time to swap the trim ring and reinstall. The silver ring still needs to be swapped. Additionally, if you want to paint that silver trim ring, now is the time!

View attachment 88892

To remove this trim ring, you can just pull it forward easily off the button, don't worry about prying up on the side tabs.
View attachment 88891

Then just slide it over the new button.
View attachment 88893

Now we reinstall! Just press the button from the cab side back through the trim panel and reconnect the power plug.
View attachment 88894

You will snap the trim piece back into these holes, you may need to play with it, remember it needs to slide under the cluster trim piece.
View attachment 88895

Once that's in, just reverse everything above. Reconnect the screen cables, press the screen back in to the dash (no trick, just line up and press straight in), and reinstall screws and rubber mat. You should be ready to go!

View attachment 88896

Hope this helps anyone who was unsure.
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions! Just swapped mine out in the Rebel in about 15 min.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You didn't really follow those instructions after a ton of posts that we're made about just reaching up under the dash and it taking 5 minutes or less?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no shame in admitting it took you fifteen minutes to swap it out assuming ten minutes for downing a couple cold ones and five minutes to swap it out. Just don’t let the wife catch on or it goes from being a nice break from the grind of life to work...

YELOSUB

Reaction score
Ok I got one ordered, let’s see if it actually arrives...Last one I ordered the vendor cancelled almost immediately saying it was out of stock
Well crap, just got an email stating they are out of stock with an unknown date...

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
I haven't received any email saying that it's back ordered from that second vendor I purchased it from......but I also haven't received an email saying it's been shipped

YELOSUB

Reaction score
Anyone know a vendor that actually has these in stock? The (2) I tried emailed back saying not in stock and no eta...Thanks

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone know a vendor that actually has these in stock? The (2) I tried emailed back saying not in stock and no eta...Thanks
I just ordered over the phone from my local dealer. Was $44 so not much more than what they are selling for online. I had it in 3 days.

hammersfd

Reaction score
I have a red TRX start button if someone is interested for $40 shipped. Just didn't love the red in my Laramie night edition. SOLD!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread