5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the Push to Start Button

cjh0702

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Big Horn. The push button works just fine, but I wanted to change the color. I noticed that the push to start buttons on the Chargers/Challengers are red, but otherwise look the same as the one in my truck. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the following:

Will the push to start buttons on the Chargers/Challengers serve as a drop in replacement for the ones on Ram trucks? Or are they wired differently?
How easy is it to get to the push to start button in order to replace it?

For reference, I found a video of someone replacing the push to start button on a 2018 Charger.
And the part number I found is here:

I have looked into getting stickers/vinyl to cover the OEM push to start button in my truck, but the downside to that is that it covers the light at night, so I wouldn't be able to see the button at all in the dark. And I didn't want to start tearing into the dash without knowing if the new part would work, or if it was too difficult to get to. Any suggestions/direction would be great appreciated.

Stony0604

Reaction score
I just put a sticker over mine. Yes, no light on the actual button, but you'll still have it above with the Off, ACC and Run to see where it is.

Attachments

• 20200210_152717.jpg
    20200210_152717.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 657

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just came today...plan on installing it this weekend when it warms up a bit. I like the feel of it too.

cjh0702

Reaction score
So I noticed that on the new TRX, the push to start button is red. Thats exactly the look I want. I know the TRX is new, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the exact part number for the red push to start switch that goes in the TRX? I assume it should be a drop in replacement for the other trims.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I noticed that on the new TRX, the push to start button is red. Thats exactly the look I want. I know the TRX is new, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the exact part number for the red push to start switch that goes in the TRX? I assume it should be a drop in replacement for the other trims.
Why not just add the $14 decal? Yes, it should be a drop in replacement and if you can get a VIN of a TRX, you can have it looked up. Why pay well over $100+ for this when you can do an overlay?

cjh0702

Reaction score
Why not just add the $14 decal? Yes, it should be a drop in replacement and if you can get a VIN of a TRX, you can have it looked up. Why pay well over $100+ for this when you can do an overlay?
I have a decal on it now. I just like the "stock" look. I was just looking to learn how to look it up, and then find a price for it as well.

I had no idea it would be $100+. That might a dealbreaker.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a decal on it now. I just like the "stock" look. I was just looking to learn how to look it up, and then find a price for it as well.

I had no idea it would be $100+. That might a dealbreaker.
My guess is that it's a lot more than $100, but if we can get a TRX VIN, we can look up that part.

tac63

Reaction score
Interested on swapping the button myself. I found a TRX vin (1c6srfu94mn901091) but can't find anywhere online that I can find the part number for the button. I found some of the red buttons out of chargers for around $50 but guessing it will be way more with TRX.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interested on swapping the button myself. I found a TRX vin (1c6srfu94mn901091) but can't find anywhere online that I can find the part number for the button. I found some of the red buttons out of chargers for around $50 but guessing it will be way more with TRX.
Just call a dealers parts department...give them the VIN and ask for the part number and price of the Ignition Switch

Russc76

Reaction score
Because he wants the red button and not an overlay. Why is that such an issue? I bought an overlay for my 21 Rebel and it lasted a month and a half before it started pealing. So that 14 is now 28 if I want to try again. I found a red push start button for 63$. I’d like to give it a try if it would work as well. The actual factory push start button would look a hell of a lot better than an overlay. When you spend over 60k on a truck, worrying about a 60$ part seems silly.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because he wants the red button and not an overlay. Why is that such an issue? I bought an overlay for my 21 Rebel and it lasted a month and a half before it started pealing. So that 14 is now 28 if I want to try again. I found a red push start button for 63$. I’d like to give it a try if it would work as well. The actual factory push start button would look a hell of a lot better than an overlay. When you spend over 60k on a truck, worrying about a 60$ part seems silly.
No $hit Sherlock...it is not an issue at all. I was just offering him an option if interested. Great way to start your relationships on a new forum ;)

Russc76

Reaction score
No $hit Sherlock...it is not an issue at all. I was just offering him an option if interested. Great way to start your relationships on a new forum ;)
Hey bubs, been here since 2019. He wanted advice on a red push start button. Not an overlay. Hope you have a good day. 👌

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey bubs, been here since 2019. He wanted advice on a red push start button. Not an overlay. Hope you have a good day. 👌
He was given an OPTION "bubs"...he's an adult and can make a decision on his own. I didn't jam it down his throat! That's what we do here...give folks options and let them decide.

Enjoy your day and happy to see your very first post since 2019👌

Russc76

Reaction score
He was given an OPTION "bubs"...he's an adult and can make a decision on his own. I didn't jam it down his throat! That's what we do here...give folks options and let them decide.

Enjoy your day and happy to see your very first post since 2019👌
Yea, thanks for being part of my very first post 😂. I have a feeling we’re going to get along great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online