5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind losing some volume from my dash on my alpine system. While many want the sound as forward as possible the alpine front just doesn’t blend well enough with the doors.

Agreed. I have the fade slightly biased to the rear for all inputs... hoping the Infinity corners help give a more cohesive sound in the front. All indications are that the clarity is the great equalizer since the power loss is really negligible.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the Hk 3.5 speaker ohms are? Crutchfield said the same thing, you will lose a little volume going with a 4ohm speakers. Didn't want to lose any volume so that's why I went with a 3ohm speaker. I'll see how they sound once I install them this weekend.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the Hk 3.5 speaker ohms are? Crutchfield said the same thing, you will lose a little volume going with a 4ohm speakers. Didn't want to lose any volume so that's why I went with a 3ohm speaker. I'll see how they sound once I install them this weekend.

Does your rebel have the HK speakers or Alpine?

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Just put the Infinity References in the dash corners on my Laramie. Did anybody have trouble getting the screw holes to line up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just put the Infinity References in the dash corners on my Laramie. Did anybody have trouble getting the screw holes to line up?

A little. I had to trim the tabs a touch to get em to sit flush.

wwalljr

Reaction score
No. Should I have? How would that work with the metra harnesses?

IDK for sure. Mine are in shipping yet. Just curious...I’ve used “bass blockers” in other vehicles and wasn’t sure it would be necessary here. I’ve spliced them in when I have used them. I’d rather not go thru that.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
IDK for sure. Mine are in shipping yet. Just curious...I’ve used “bass blockers” in other vehicles and wasn’t sure it would be necessary here. I’ve spliced them in when I have used them. I’d rather not go thru that.

I think they’re crossovers. Not sure if they’re necessary.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
A little. I had to trim the tabs a touch to get em to sit flush.

I might have to pull them back out to do that as neither one is flush at the front of the dash. Grills went went on fine. Want to make sure they sound ok before I cut anything.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad this is being sorted out before I install mine! Appreciation for the details!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you use the capacitors that came with the Infinity’s?

I soldered mine into the metra harnesses. The Crutchfield tech told me he strongly recommended it FWIW. Depending on your existing setup, amp etc, you could wind up getting too much low end sent to those 3.5s which would not only sound bad but could damage them.

wwalljr

Reaction score
I soldered mine into the metra harnesses. The Crutchfield tech told me he strongly recommended it FWIW. Depending on your existing setup, amp etc, you could wind up getting too much low end sent to those 3.5s which would not only sound bad but could damage them.
Thanks. Good to know. I imagine a lot of people don’t bother. But the Infinity speakers do include them. I noticed Crutchfield sells bass blockers with ends that look to match the metra plugs...no solder for those not comfortable with that.

fotomatt1

Reaction score

I also think the smaller connector on the speaker is a little too big for the connector on the end of the metra harness. I might pull them back out this weekend and just solder the harness and the crossover on.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you use the capacitors that came with the Infinity’s?
I did not. The HK system seems to be crossed at the amp. I've run a frequency generator on them and they seem to cut out well before the range these are ok at.

I can't say the same for other systems though.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not. The HK system seems to be crossed at the amp. I've run a frequency generator on them and they seem to cut out well before the range these are ok at.

I can't say the same for other systems though.

On the HK system, as far as the crossover frequency range, are you referring to the 3 in the dash or does that include the 2 in the upper front doors and 2 in the rear headliner as well? So the base blockers that are included with the Infinity Reference 3.5's aren't necessary in any of those locations?

Viper67

Reaction score
So should we do kickers for the dash or infinity or??? Mine is the Laramie with the Alpine system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So should we do kickers for the dash or infinity or??? Mine is the Laramie with the Alpine system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really is a matter of preference/$$. You can read up a bit on each but people have gone with kickers, jbl, Infinity, hertz, jl, etc. As long as they are good quality, fit the opening and are in the proper ohm range, which all the above are, you’re good to go.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the HK system, as far as the crossover frequency range, are you referring to the 3 in the dash or does that include the 2 in the upper front doors and 2 in the rear headliner as well? So the base blockers that are included with the Infinity Reference 3.5's aren't necessary in any of those locations?

They are as follows on the HK System:

Dash
3.5s - HP @ 200hz

Front Doors
6x9s - LP @ 600hz
3.5s - HP @ 600hz (I believe these are reversed polarity)

Rear
6x9s Door - LP @ 600hz (will confirm)
3.5s Headliner - HP @ 600hz (will confirm)

I've not done a close test on the rears. Will do these later and update.

Frequency Response on infinity reference 3.5s is 81-21,000hz. Not sure what cap size is included... If someone knows, post it up and we can determine what the frequency point is on them.

wwalljr

Reaction score
It really is a matter of preference/$$. You can read up a bit on each but people have gone with kickers, jbl, Infinity, hertz, jl, etc. As long as they are good quality, fit the opening and are in the proper ohm range, which all the above are, you’re good to go.

^^^^Yes. This.

Users who are viewing this thread