5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of Infinity 3.5". Couldn't pass up this little upgrade that everyone says makes a big difference. It can't be worse!
I'm about to order these, but the Crutchfield guy is telling me that they won't sound good since they're 3 ohm instead of 2 and that I'm going to lose a ton of volume. Can anybody speak from experience?

Turin

Reaction score
I think the 19 speaker is a marketing ploy.. they are counting each tweeter, woofer, and sub as individual speakers.
Oh, absolutely (and hardly a new thing). It's the same with the 900 W claim — that's the total power going to all speakers, not the power to each channel. I'm mildly curious about which speakers are what. I think the 6x9s are just woofers, which would imply that the smaller drivers are all two-ways (mid-range/tweeter).

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to order these, but the Crutchfield guy is telling me that they won't sound good since they're 3 ohm instead of 2 and that I'm going to lose a ton of volume. Can anybody speak from experience?

The standard is you can go up with no issues... I believe the stock speakers are 2 ohm so going to 3 ohm should be fine. You never want to replace a 4ohm speaker with a 3 or 2ohm... that's where you run into issues.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
The standard is you can go up with no issues... I believe the stock speakers are 2 ohm so going to 3 ohm should be fine. You never want to replace a 4ohm speaker with a 3 or 2ohm... that's where you run into issues.

The guy was just talking about volume loss. Hopefully that won’t be an issue. Now I have to go get trim tools at harbor freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely (and hardly a new thing). It's the same with the 900 W claim — that's the total power going to all speakers, not the power to each channel. I'm mildly curious about which speakers are what. I think the 6x9s are just woofers, which would imply that the smaller drivers are all two-ways (mid-range/tweeter).

I can't say for certain on other models, but on the HK, the 6x9s are in fact just woofers. The frequency cut off is at about 1500-2000 hz. Nothing above that goes to the 6x9. There's really no point in installing a 2way 6x9 unless of course you run it from a different amp.

I'm pretty sure the 900w claim is also peak watts, not RMS. RMS is often 1/2 of peak or less. That price RMS at 450 and that includes the sub. Assume 150w goes to the Sub then you're left with 300w to the remaining speakers. This equates to 20-40w per speaker if all receive power evenly. And that's probably generous because we have no idea what the true RMS numbers are. :)

That all said, the factory amplification system for these is more than adequate for most people. For those who want more, you'll have to go down a pretty deep rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Metra 72-6514. It's the same connection as Metra 72-7902 except the +/- wires are flipped. You can just swap the wires (repin) at the harness by lifting the little white tab inside the harness and pulling the wire out. I found it to be very easy if you put the harness in a vice, use a pick to lift the tab, and pull on the wire.

Keep in mind MANY people on this forum have had randomn polarity configurations, so it may or may not be necessary. Personally, I verified the original speaker polarity with a battery and matched up the replacements. I don't know what others have done.

This is not correct, The 72-6514 is for the doors. The 72-7902 is for the dash. They are completely different connectors. There is a different connector for the doors something like 71-050 that has the polarity flipped from the 72-6514 but neither connector will work in the dash location.

Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the infinity’s from Crutchfield since I know the adapters will be right. Now just have to find a single one to do the center. If anybody bought a second set and wants to sell their extra, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easiest way to do it, and they include the adapters free so that saves about 10 bucks versus buying them separately.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is not correct, The 72-6514 is for the doors. The 72-7902 is for the dash. They are completely different connectors. There is a different connector for the doors something like 71-050 that has the polarity flipped from the 72-6514 but neither connector will work in the dash location.
Damn it...I was multitasking and put the wrong ones. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the catch post deleted.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**** it...I was multitasking and put the wrong ones. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the catch post deleted.

No problem, There is some old stock of the 71-050 still floating around which are good to find if you're doing the doors because you don't need to switch polarity on them. The old stock for the 72-7902 is a 71-039C, I don't think there's any of those still floating around though.

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
I also have the Alpine system in my limited.

Can anyone offer up suggestions or opinions on the kicker in this thread vs. the two kicker options and the infinity option on crutchfield?

I really dont know what the differences are between them all.

Also, why is the center speaker option on crutchfield $300+?

Thanks!

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I just ordered JBL Club3020 (3ohm) speakers from Crutchfield. They will tell you they do not fit but have read on other forms that you can get them to fit with trimming the speaker grill for a little more clearance. They recommend that you not get 4ohm speakers if you have the alpine system. Stock ones are 2ohm, so you need to replace them with 2 or 3ohm units. They also recommended that I not get the JL C7-350 center speaker one since it's also a 4ohm unit. So as of right now I don't know what I'm going to do about it right now.
I was also looking at JBL GX302 speakers, they are 2.3ohms but Crutchfield does not carry them. I found them on Amazon for $50.00.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
After seeing OP's (Livinfast85) post and reading this thread, I ordered the same Kicker speakers from Crutchfield. Currently marked down the $35 for the dash corner pair, so what's there to lose? I've only had my new Ram a month, and I had no idea it had speakers in the dash corner. Looking forward to hearing the difference.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered JBL Club3020 (3ohm) speakers from Crutchfield. They will tell you they do not fit but have read on other forms that you can get them to fit with trimming the speaker grill for a little more clearance. They recommend that you not get 4ohm speakers if you have the alpine system. Stock ones are 2ohm, so you need to replace them with 2 or 3ohm units. They also recommended that I not get the JL C7-350 center speaker one since it's also a 4ohm unit. So as of right now I don't know what I'm going to do about it right now.
I was also looking at JBL GX302 speakers, they are 2.3ohms but Crutchfield does not carry them. I found them on Amazon for $50.00.

Are the 3.5s on the HK also 2 ohm?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no decibel loss going to a 4ohm people.. It's been done and it's fine if you stay with a decently efficient speaker. I also changed my front speakers in my Challanger from the crappy HK units to the JL Audio and would never look back

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did lose a little volume going from the 3.5s on the HK system to Infinity reference. I would not go back either but I did lose a little volume at the same setting.

Actually, I did the front first and not the rear and the rear would overpower the front. I had to adjust the fader to balance it out.

That's actually why I posted the question asking if anyone knows the impedance on the stock HK 3.5s.

I sold the stock speakers otherwise I'd just go measure them. If anyone still has the 6x9s and 3.5s from the HK system, would you be so kind as to measure them for us?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind losing some volume from my dash on my alpine system. While many want the sound as forward as possible the alpine front just doesn’t blend well enough with the doors. I’m thinking about going another route and bringing the corners into the pillars facing eachother or slightly canted towards the cabin. Just need to find time.....who knows, maybe a slightly inefficient speaker in the dash would give it what I’m looking for. I have some Dayton Audio 4 ohms looking for a home from my last truck, maybe give them a try.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reference.

You can't go wrong with Infinity. I replaced my JL subs (after I blew out my 3rd one in 9 months) with Infinity reference 8" 1000W peak that have now lasted 4 years and counting, and what a difference. Not too many speakers can handle serious power in such a small footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread