5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

Mobdeep530

Reaction score
Does anyone know the size of the center dash speaker?? Is it 3.5 as like the corner ones?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the Kicker 43CSC354 CSC35 3.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers in my dash today and I have to say I am not that impressed. I have the Alpine system and replacing the stock alpine dash speakers with these takes away some color from the sound stage and pretty much fills the front end with increased high frequency... I am curious what the JLs would've sounded like vs the kickers...

mch

Reaction score
I installed the Kicker 43CSC354 CSC35 3.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers in my dash today and I have to say I am not that impressed. I have the Alpine system and replacing the stock alpine dash speakers with these takes away some color from the sound stage and pretty much fills the front end with increased high frequency... I am curious what the JLs would've sounded like vs the kickers...

I just ordered 2 sets of JL Audios for the front. I would have left my Alpine system alone because I think it sounds great, but everyone seemed to rave about swapping the front speakers. It would be nice for a couple people in the same town be able to compare the differences. Did you try reversing the wires on the driver's side dash speaker?

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I see what you are saying. I was coming from the base 6 speaker, and honestly couldn't tell the dash had speakers. Kicker fixed that for $35. At higher volume, I do toggle it a bit towards the rear now ... Bit too 'bright' without making some EQ adjustments. But at lower volume, I really like them. Probably a good thing for me since I'm deaf in one ear, and my good one isn't getting any younger.

kjn86

Reaction score
I replaced my corner speakers with Kicker 43DSC3504 DS Series 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers from Crutchfield and it was as easy as everyone said and the sound is as good as everyone said. Totally worth it! Thanks, fellas. Just debating switching out the center speaker now, but I am so happy with the improvement and I am not an audiophile so I am easy to please. Probably will stick with the two only. I will always wonder though...how much better could it be??? Don't we all?

Viper67

Reaction score
I’m in the Dallas, TX area. Anyone else in the area? Let’s do a test side by side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Um, a whole lot better. You get what you pay for and it was mentioned here before about a large silk dome tweeter compared to the others. At least you spent only 30 bucks and know how to swap them easily now

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went with the Infinity pair for the dash corners... once I get my truck back from the shop I'm gonna install'em and post my thoughts. Also got the TazerDT, monday will be an exciting evening!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Those are what I run in my Corolla, very nice sounds for what they are.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Um, a whole lot better. You get what you pay for and it was mentioned here before about a large silk dome tweeter compared to the others. At least you spent only 30 bucks and know how to swap them easily now
Same Experience here, I added the DSC35 Kickers based on the OPs recommendation. The highs are significantly better, but the overall sound seems to have suffered. Not sure If I wired them in backwards or not, but the bass seems to have been reduced. Also, interestingly, the stock speakers have a larger magnet than the kickers do. I may just go back to the stock 3.5's for now. Not the best experience. I'll be ordering the infinities or JL next time. Who has had a good experience with Alipine system finding a good 3.5 dash speaker?

PorBoy

Reaction score
Same Experience here, I added the DSC35 Kickers based on the OPs recommendation. The highs are significantly better, but the overall sound seems to have suffered. Not sure If I wired them in backwards or not, but the bass seems to have been reduced. Also, interestingly, the stock speakers have a larger magnet than the kickers do. I may just go back to the stock 3.5's for now. Not the best experience. I'll be ordering the infinities or JL next time. Who has had a good experience with Alipine system finding a good 3.5 dash speaker?
JL Audio 3.5 done and done lol.

Patsy1099

Reaction score

Sound is subjective of course but it also takes some getting used to I think. It could be that the kickers aren’t the right choice for you and you need something different/better. It also could be that what you thought was better in the stock speaker was really just stepped and muddier and now that you’ve corrected that, you notice the highs and brightness more. Try living with it a bit. Adjust the EQ to raise up the bass. Also try fading the sound a little bit toward the rear. After all that if you still don’t like it, try swapping them out for the JLs, I don’t think you will like the Infinity’s since they are also pretty bright. Lastly, you can also upgrade the doors or sub.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Very true as I once owned a set of Focal tweeters and they were “ too “ bright for my wants. Swapped them out for JL and I was good to go. People thought I was crazy as the Focals were easily over $1000 and the JLs, well not as much lol.

kjn86

Reaction score
I see what you are saying. I was coming from the base 6 speaker, and honestly couldn't tell the dash had speakers. Kicker fixed that for $35. At higher volume, I do toggle it a bit towards the rear now ... Bit too 'bright' without making some EQ adjustments. But at lower volume, I really like them. Probably a good thing for me since I'm deaf in one ear, and my good one isn't getting any younger.

It's funny you said this because I noticed the same after having them for a day and listening a lot in an hour in the car. I am not sure if I should just deal with it or move them to the back and get better ones for the front, or go back to the stock. Any thoughts from anyone?

I had to put more volume in the rear and keep adjusting the EQ but couldn't get it just right. I know the sound is better than the stock ones but it's almost like the corner ones overpower the others and it feels like my left ear is getting almost fatigued.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’m feeling if you are not feeling them, I would just swap back to stock and wait.

kjn86

Reaction score
Wait for? New speakers?

Maybe just needs getting used to. I will definitely wait a minute before changing them but trying to think of some options with what I already have.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
My personal opinion is you should live with it for a couple of weeks and play with the eq and fader. See if your ears adjust and you become happy(er). If not and the kickers are easy to return (or you want to sell them on here), then you can opt for the Infinity’s or JLs. But again sound is subjective and depends on the listener and the overall setup: how many ohms were old vs new speakers, how many overall decibels were old vs new speakers, RMS old vs new, etc.

My experience was similar to yours. I thought stock was ok but want to experiment so I started with dash speakers. It got very clean but a bit too bright. I then swapped out the doors. That caused me ANC issues so I disconnected the ANC. It sounds very good now but I still feel it’s missing something, especially bass. So I decided to add a sub and figured since I was at it, I’d add an amp since I have the stock stereo which doesn’t have one.

Your situation is a bit different since you have the Alpine and are starting in a better place. I’d suggest waiting a couple weeks, adjust eq and fade. If you’re still unhappy swap for the JLs. If you still feel you have too much highs up front, fade slightly to the rear and replace the front 6x9s with some good mids (not full range). After that if you’re STILL unhappy you replace the rear 6x9s with a couple of full range....and finally dual 10” subs in a fox box :D

Users who are viewing this thread