5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And how's the HK in this debate?

I have the HK system, I don't think it's a drop-in considering there's supposed to be 2 speakers in each grill, no?

Technically because it's coaxial I believe FCA counts that as 2

Jackham

Reaction score
All I can say is the HK system better be exactly that with quality materials. For what they charge it should be. I know it sounds great now but the quality stuff still sounds good 20 years later. We will see.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HK system uses below average speakers unfortunately. The 3.5s are ok, but not near as good as most after market speakers. The HK 6x9s are quite bad. I've been replacing all my speakers with infinity and it's a noticable improvement.

That said, the HK system isn't too bad sounding. Not great... Not bad.

Jackham

Reaction score
The HK system uses below average speakers unfortunately. The 3.5s are ok, but not near as good as most after market speakers. The HK 6x9s are quite bad. I've been replacing all my speakers with infinity and it's a noticable improvement.

39 vs 60. I will probably do fine;)

OL96

Reaction score
The stock speakers are 2 ohms, the JBL GX302 speakers are a closer match at 2.3 ohms. There is a thread about this via search, I would post it but there are a few. They do sound great. I have the Alpine system.

DBaron

Reaction score
Does anyone know what connectors I need for these speakers?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply. No volume loss and very smooth and nice. B4218CAB-73A3-4E6E-83BD-CC995B58A4BC.png

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know what connectors I need for these speakers?

Metra 72-7902 for the dash
Metra 72-6514 for the doors, one thing to note if you do the doors, they are reverse polarity so the wires on the adapter need to be swapped. + to - , - to +.

Everything you want to know about upgrading your factory speakers whether base 6 system, Alpine or HK is all in this thread.
I've replaced all the factory Alpine speakers with JBL GX series. Just an FYI the Alpine system uses the same speakers in the doors as the base 6 speaker system. The only only difference is that the Alpine has a Factory amp pushing more power to them.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/

DBaron

Reaction score
Metra 72-6514 for the doors, one thing to note if you do the doors, they are reverse polarity so the wires on the adapter need to be swapped. + to - , - ito +.

Everything you want to know about upgrading your factory speakers whether base 6 system, Alpine or HK is all in this thread.
I've replaced all the factory Alpine speakers with JBL GX series. Just an FYI the Alpine system uses the same speakers in the doors as the base 6 speaker system. The only only difference is that the Alpine has a Factory amp pushing more power to them.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/

Thanks for the info! How do you like the JBL’s? Big difference? Pretty sure I just have the base 6 speaker

grooves12

Reaction score
Metra 72-6514 for the doors, one thing to note if you do the doors, they are reverse polarity so the wires on the adapter need to be swapped. + to - , - to +.

If you use Metra 71-050 for the doors, you will not need to reverse polarity.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! How do you like the JBL’s? Big difference? Pretty sure I just have the base 6 speaker
Doors make a bigger difference in the rear than the front but it was noticeable improvement in both locations. Most bang for your buck by far is the dash. The factory 3.5"s without a tweeter really kill the highs on these trucks. Overall the factory speakers just sounded muddy to me and the JBL's improved it quite a bit for about 200 dollars it wasn't a bad investment, however if I was to do it over again I would probably replace everything with CDT audio but I was looking at more around 900 dollars to go that route. Price wouldn't be quite that steep for the base 6 speaker though.

grooves12

Reaction score

I did the JBLs in the six speaker system and don't like them. The stock dash speakers in the base system are 8 ohms vs. 2-ohms for the Alpine, and swapping them out for 2.3 ohms JBLs put too much power to them, in comparison to the door speakers. Ended up with no Bass and/or overly shrill highs. I could negate much of it by turning the bass to max and the mids and highs down a couple nothes but the EQ adjustments would need dramatically different settings throughout the volume range. I'm planning on swapping the JBLs out for JL Audio 4-ohm speakers this weekend, in hopes it will lead to a more balanced system.

The Alpine system is completely different and with the added amp sends power to them differently vs. the base system. YMMV, but I would be careful about comparing setups between the Alpine and base systems as the same parts are gonna work completely differently between the two systems.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the JBLs in the six speaker system and don't like them. The stock dash speakers in the base system are 8 ohms vs. 2-ohms for the Alpine, and swapping them out for 2.3 ohms JBLs put too much power to them, in comparison to the door speakers. Ended up with no Bass and/or overly shrill highs. I could negate much of it by turning the bass to max and the mids and highs down a couple nothes but the EQ adjustments would need dramatically different settings throughout the volume range. I'm planning on swapping the JBLs out for JL Audio 4-ohm speakers this weekend, in hopes it will lead to a more balanced system.

The Alpine system is completely different and with the added amp sends power to them differently vs. the base system. YMMV, but I would be careful about comparing setups between the Alpine and base systems as the same parts are gonna work completely differently between the two systems.

I'm not surprised. Essentially with the door and dash in parallel you have created a current divider with close to equal resistance for both loops, meaning both speakers see equal amounts of power where the factory is 8 ohm in the dash and 2 ohm in the door sending 4 times the power to the door sensitivty of the factory speakers is unknown. The GX302s have a sensitivy of 89 db and the CDT 6x9s you used have a sensitivty of 89.4. So an even power split isn't quite right for the matching sensitivity. The difference if you use a JBL GX962 or 963 in the door with a 302 in the dash is that the sensitivty on the JBL 6x9 is 94 db versus 89 db in the dash. A 3 db difference in sensitivity translates to about double the output for the same power input and here we have a 5 db difference so even with equal power distribution the 6x9 is going to perform more efficiently. One of the reasons mixing and matching brands isn't always a good idea unless things like sensitivity are accounted for, manufactures design there speakers to work together across a model line so mixing them with something else might not have the desired results so even swapping to a 4 ohm speaker might not improve things if the sensitivity on it is significantly higher than the GX302 you're replacing. you may want to consider the CDT 2 inch hybrids that come with cross overs and volume control to dial in the highs to your liking.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Which Infinity did you go with?

Cmiller18y

Reaction score
I did some Memphis speakers and it made it sound so clear! I have the stock system though. The magnet size comparison was quite impressive.

Attachments

• 20190209_143720.jpg
    20190209_143720.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 590
  • 20190209_143710.jpg
    20190209_143710.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 578

Users who are viewing this thread