5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping, tent, travel trailer, HAMMOCK

illucid

Reaction score
Osoyoos BC, Canada
18' forest river surveyor sport
3100 lbs dry
4500 lbs loaded
Pulls like an absolute dream with about 8-900 lbs payload

ortvk

Reaction score
Delaware here. Have a 2014 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS that we were "gifted" (super low price) from Grandparents so I don't think we could ever go smaller now. Used to tow it with my 2016 Colorado (struggles). Cannot wait to get this new Ram hooked up to it in the spring and eventually get something a little bigger since the new truck will allow it!

geotex1

Reaction score
I started camping as a baby with the family in old, mil-surplus canvas tents (still remember their stink!) and camped as a Scout. In my early-20s I rode this beautiful country on motorcycle with little more than a bedroll and mess kit. Wife was also raised in a camping family. Together we went through stages of tents and bought our first off-the-ground experience in the early 90s - used Coleman pop-up. Fixed that up and customized it and enjoyed it for years and sold it to a young family. Bought a larger, brand new model (Santa Fe) in 98 and camped 400 nights in it over 6 years and I sold it for what we paid. Bought a Forest River Shamrock 21SS hybrid that brought a new dimension to our trips with so much convenience! With that trailer, began my dedicated tow vehicle situation because that hybrid caused my heavy half-ton Chevy to huff and puff the hills so I put a 98 7.4L big-block C2500 Suburban in play. Suburban was totaled in front of our house by a drunk, and I found a cherry 2004 8.1L Yukon 2500XL to take on the task, which was no sweat for GM's highest ever tow capacity SUV configuration! One year later, 14 month old premium trailer tire blows out and does so much damage to the hybrid the insurance company totaled it. Great insurance company and proper policy allowed us our first venture into a total hard side camper - Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite 232IS. Probably where the diehards would say my wife and I went "glamping," but then I just whip out the scrapbooks showing what I saw on the back of a '63 Panhead, our bear adventures in the Smokies, our tenting in Argentina, etc. I say we paid our dues, put our time in, and the mileage on our bodies likes the comforts of home wherever we tow these days! :D

ortvk

Reaction score
Anyone else wish winter was over so they could de-winterize and hit the road?! Need to figure out my May camping trip....thinking PA or southern where its warmer. :LOL:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I am. We almost went to ole bull this past weekend.

We our reserved to head out the first weekend of camping here in PA, which is the same weekend as opening of fishing season.

We have a few other trips reserved too.

The big question is, will the 99 tow one more year...will I pass some off to the 03 or will I get a 2018 to wait out the teething pains of the 4.5 Gen or will I be all in on a wonderful new 2019 Ram HD.

ortvk

Reaction score

We our reserved to head out the first weekend of camping here in PA, which is the same weekend as opening of fishing season.

The big question is, will the 99 tow one more year...will I pass some off to the 03 or will I get a 2018 to wait out the teething pains of the 4.5 Gen or will I be all in on a wonderful new 2019 Ram HD.

Nice!!!! Only have 3 trips planned so far. Since i work a rotating shift and a good amount of OT because of it :(. Hoping to get a new camper after this coming season so I'll need to get a good amount of use of it this year.

I vote HD! haha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!!!! Only have 3 trips planned so far. Since i work a rotating shift and a good amount of OT because of it :(. Hoping to get a new camper after this coming season so I'll need to get a good amount of use of it this year.

I vote HD! haha
Sorry, lol. They were all HD trucks. I can't justify the 1500 for my use.

New Camper is probably next year for us.

We want to go camping so bad...but once again we aren't getting a snowy winter...just a whole bunch of rain and rain makes ice...not good for towing.

RebelMike

Reaction score
You guys read my mind. Just made a few reservations myself. First trip is in April, headed to Raccoon Creek State park near Pittsburgh. It can't get here soon enough!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys read my mind. Just made a few reservations myself. First trip is in April, headed to Raccoon Creek State park near Pittsburgh. It can't get here soon enough!
Never heard of that one, will have to check it out.

Our first trip and most weekend trips will be to Prince Gallitzin State Park.

Jordan2929

Reaction score

I wouldn't be too worred about the HD facelift because it's just that, a facelift. It's getting the 5th gen interior though which should be very sorted out after the 1500's have been out for almost a year. And maybe we'll see an updated diesel but most likely the same hemi's as previous years. All in all it should be a very solid truck.

abn ig

Reaction score
NC here. We bought a 27' Forest River Travel Trailer a little while ago. Itching to take it out on the first trip. We have a couple of trips planned in April and May and can't wait!

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I just picked up my Rebel12 last month and within the first 2 weeks I moved over my rooftop tent and rack from my '01 diesel (that's now sadly sold). Besides daily driving my truck does dual duty: It tows my Jeep to offroad parks from time to time and I also like to take it overlanding. I also take the Jeep overlanding on occasion. So with the rooftop tent I can bug out on a weekend to go camping or exploring, but it also provides a great camping spot when I tow the Jeep to ORV parks. After I finish converting the Jeep to an LJ I'll be taking it on more overlanding trips, as well, and will put the tent on top of the Jeep. So for my needs, it's a great solution!

Here's the truck with tent on it:
IMG_3793-XL.jpg

IMG_3790-XL.jpg

Here's the tent opened up (with annex) at the last trip I took the diesel on.
IMG_3274-XL.jpg

I already ordered a 2.5" MotoFab front spacer with ReadyLift uppers, as well as a full Air Lift 5000 air bag setup for when I'm towing. A side benefit of the air bag system I chose is it can inflate each side's bag separately. That'll help me level the truck when I'm camping. Can't wait to give it a try!! :)

ortvk

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I just picked up my Rebel12 last month and within the first 2 weeks I moved over my rooftop tent and rack from my '01 diesel (that's now sadly sold). Besides daily driving my truck does dual duty: It tows my Jeep to offroad parks from time to time and I also like to take it overlanding. I also take the Jeep overlanding on occasion. So with the rooftop tent I can bug out on a weekend to go camping or exploring, but it also provides a great camping spot when I tow the Jeep to ORV parks. After I finish converting the Jeep to an LJ I'll be taking it on more overlanding trips, as well, and will put the tent on top of the Jeep. So for my needs, it's a great solution!

Here's the truck with tent on it:
Here's the tent opened up (with annex) at the last trip I took the diesel on.

I already ordered a 2.5" MotoFab front spacer with ReadyLift uppers, as well as a full Air Lift 5000 air bag setup for when I'm towing. A side benefit of the air bag system I chose is it can inflate each side's bag separately. That'll help me level the truck when I'm camping. Can't wait to give it a try!! :)

Thats a really neat setup!! Congrats on the new Rebel!

slimchance

Reaction score
we have a passport 2520 RL got it at Lerch's RV in Milroy, Pa ... good dealer and this TT really gives lots of room ... can use the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom with the slide in ... mostly dry camp three or four days at a time when at cowboy action shoots .. live in souther lancaster county Pa

Attachments

• 20190208_085609_resized.jpg
    20190208_085609_resized.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 49

ortvk

Reaction score
we have a passport 2520 RL got it at Lerch's RV in Milroy, Pa ... good dealer and this TT really gives lots of room ... can use the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom with the slide in ... mostly dry camp three or four days at a time when at cowboy action shoots .. live in souther lancaster county Pa

The wife and I want a RL camper so badly!!! Hopefully soon! You guys are somewhat near by! Her parents used to camp in hidden acres. We were just up that way last week!!

slimchance

Reaction score
this camper is our 3rd passport .. first was a 2010 19rb, no slide, lots of inside storage, very nice and well built ... it got crushed when ice and snow slid off our barn roof in 2013 ice storm .. then got a 2200rb, it had a slide and also was well built .. then wife saw the 2520RL and it had LOTS of room with slide extended and you could move around easily with slide in, big feature .. two of the three were bought at Lerch's RV .. they have always treated us well and service has been very good ... towed all these TT with Toyota Tundra TRDs .. Milroy is out near State College about 2 hrs away, with TT, but saved $$$$$ over local dealers

Fornstar

Reaction score
Finally hooked up the trailer to the Ram this weekend to dewinterize it. Just a run to the dump station to flush and empty tanks. About 6 miles round trip with mix of freeway and side streets. Very pleased with the Rams performance. Still need to lower the hitch one more notch so the trailer will ride level. Truck squatted about 3/4” with weight distribution.
2DF39560-182C-4CF6-9B11-201F52AE6D8D.jpeg 8EF250B0-31B0-473C-8159-1F3E8D63C0C4.jpeg B4EE0EF3-E072-4222-AA21-35EE5FEF675D.jpeg

Headed out this weekend for a season shakedown trip. Looking forward to stretching her legs with the trailer.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The answer is...E. none of the above. I bought a 2015 Tradesman 2500 to do the camping duties.

We may be heading out this weekend, but it snowed today.

Very anxious to get camping.

Users who are viewing this thread