5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping, tent, travel trailer, HAMMOCK

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
It's no heavyweight, but this rig is going to tow a lot better with a 2019 Limited than a 2017 Pilot. Sadly, the 2019 isn't going to have much if any more payload capability, the Pilot tag says 1430lbs.

LRM_EXPORT_20180808_073516.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's no heavyweight, but this rig is going to tow a lot better with a 2019 Limited than a 2017 Pilot. Sadly, the 2019 isn't going to have much if any more payload capability, the Pilot tag says 1430lbs.

View attachment 2355
Let me know what you go with for the Kayaks on your Ram.

I just saw a Ridgeline hauling a larger camper than mine this past weekend. Pretty impressive haul you got going with your Honda too.
Can't wait to hear how the Ram tows and hauls your setup.

Just went through the tire and loading stickers. Take away the 4x2, the Rebel, and a Bighorn it seems the average payload is 1408, so your pilot is pretty well equiped.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Let me know what you go with for the Kayaks on your Ram.

I just saw a Ridgeline hauling a larger camper than mine this past weekend. Pretty impressive haul you got going with your Honda too.
Can't wait to hear how the Ram tows and hauls your setup.

Just went through the tire and loading stickers. Take away the 4x2, the Rebel, and a Bighorn it seems the average payload is 1408, so your pilot is pretty well equiped.

It has a pretty decent payload, but it's got an underpowered motor, light and narrower body, and shorter wheelbase. (5000lb towing capacity, camper is probably 4500-4700lbs fully loaded, but empty tanks) We just barely get by without towing mirrors since it's a 7' wide body on the camper, and average 9-12mpg depending on how hilly it is. It'll tow at 75mph on the interstate (speed limit in NE on I-80) so long as it's not much of an uphill, but it's running at like 4300rpm. Oddly, for towing I think we're going to get the same or better mpg with the Ram. I'm expecting that towing with the 2019 is going to feel leisurely in comparison. It's not going to be stressed at all.

I'm hopeful that the Ramrack will be out by next summer and I can use that for hauling the kayaks. Failing that I have access to TIG welders at work and could fab something up in aluminum and get it powdercoated, so I can make something that mounts to the bed rails and slides like the Ramrack but uses cross bars that will work for the roof mounts I've been using with the pilot so I have room for a couple bikes up there too. Time will tell.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has a pretty decent payload, but it's got an underpowered motor, light and narrower body, and shorter wheelbase. (5000lb towing capacity, camper is probably 4500-4700lbs fully loaded, but empty tanks) We just barely get by without towing mirrors since it's a 7' wide body on the camper, and average 9-12mpg depending on how hilly it is. It'll tow at 75mph on the interstate (speed limit in NE on I-80) so long as it's not much of an uphill, but it's running at like 4300rpm. Oddly, for towing I think we're going to get the same or better mpg with the Ram. I'm expecting that towing with the 2019 is going to feel leisurely in comparison. It's not going to be stressed at all.

I'm hopeful that the Ramrack will be out by next summer and I can use that for hauling the kayaks. Failing that I have access to TIG welders at work and could fab something up in aluminum and get it powdercoated, so I can make something that mounts to the bed rails and slides like the Ramrack but uses cross bars that will work for the roof mounts I've been using with the pilot so I have room for a couple bikes up there too. Time will tell.
Awesome. I have been looking into seeing if I can get the bed rails to fit into my 99. I really like the Ram Rack they debuted with the Macho Powerwagon and showed on the Mopar Bighorn.

I haven't seen where they have went forward with the rack...but I hope soon.

Yes, I do believe you will be very happy with the Ram for your current setup.

Good luck with your Ram purchase.

Deshatt

Reaction score
Did a few trips this year in my 20' trailer. Only one with the new 2019. Might sneak in one more trip this year. I really like fall camping in the cool weather.

DeanKing

Reaction score
we already made our first trip for the year. Great time was had by all.

Just curious if anyone else is camping and what their flavor is.

We tent camped for years, then did a pop up for a short time. We weren't real sure about travel trailer, so we bought a cheap one and it has worked out great.

@LOU.2 showed his awesome setups in another thread of mine and I have seen a few others with a travel trailer in the background.

The latest craze we came across was the Hammock campers. Anyone try that. Sure seems the light easy way to go.

Heading out again in a weekend or so. Can't wait.
Just saw this thread. Similar situation except southeast PA. In fact that is one of the biggest reasons we are buying a truck. I would still be ok with our tents but my wife is past that. She wants popup and I want travel trailer so our first few trips will be to RV shows to figure that out. There are ones in Lehigh Valley, Oaks, and Harrisburg coming up. We may also go to the Pittsburgh one. We also plan on trying different ones from those various rent by owner services that have popped up. First trip will be to Cherry Springs for the dark skies park. Next are some of the places around State College. We figure it is a big state with a lot to see so we will start here. I just don’t want to camp right next to someone. That was never a problem with tents. Lined up in a row of vehicles tethered to hookups is not my thing. Yet. We will see. I will be following this thread for ideas.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@DeanKing if you camped in state parks in tents you can camp in nearly the same spots with a pop up.

We camp non electric in the bigger campgrounds. Gets us out away from the crowds.

You will want to keep your camper under 30 feet if you want to get into the "quieter" spots. A real good size is 25 foot.

We are located between state college and johnstown.

Our favorite right now is Prince Gallitzin. We can bike hike and kayak from there without ever needing to go somewhere else.

Black Moshanon is just outside State College...pretty nice there too.

Keep us posted with the RV shows and we have a few threads about towing, payload, etc.

Good luck

DeanKing

Reaction score
@DeanKing if you camped in state parks in tents you can camp in nearly the same spots with a pop up.

We camp non electric in the bigger campgrounds. Gets us out away from the crowds.

You will want to keep your camper under 30 feet if you want to get into the "quieter" spots. A real good size is 25 foot.

We are located between state college and johnstown.

Our favorite right now is Prince Gallitzin. We can bike hike and kayak from there without ever needing to go somewhere else.

Black Moshanon is just outside State College...pretty nice there too.

Keep us posted with the RV shows and we have a few threads about towing, payload, etc.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. You are rural and have so many options around you that I am very interested in what you consider the best. We will add those spots to our destinations. My wife wants to know why you didn’t like the popup and went to a travel trailer?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@DeanKing reason number one Rain. Reason number two family got bigger and keeps getting bigger

My reason, so much easier setup, and there are no limits to weight with our trucks.

We are completely content with our current setup, but we do want the outdoor kitchen, and are thinking bunks for easier sleeping quarters. Folding out the couch gets old.

Very hard to find this setup under 30 feet, 28 is really the biggest we want to go.

The only reason we transitioned from tent to pop up and not straight to travel trailer was we really thought we were going to miss tents.

We still do tents from time to time, so we don't really miss it cause we still do it.

With the 1500, payload may make your overall size smaller. If you don't put lots of stuff in the truck cab or bed, you can go bigger on the trailer.

Never really worried much about overloading Dodge trucks, but the scales have been going from big rigs, to contractors, and now to us campers.

Here in Pennsylvania it is real easy for the dealer to issue you tags under the weight you need.

Note that class 2 is 7000lbs...GVWR on a 4wd Ram is now 7100...so be aware of this.

Guess i got off from your original question.

Drive through a state park on a rainy weekend. Look at all the extra tarps around the pop ups.

A new one will be fine. But just a few years, sometimes only one and the issue could happen. Not that a larger travel trailer can't or won't leak...but the additional setup of a pop up in the rain, that is the main reason.

If weight was an issue, I could deal with the rain a little more.

Who am I kidding. I have come to enjoy getting wet. This year it has rained, poured everytime we went out.

DeanKing

Reaction score
@DeanKing reason number one Rain. Reason number two family got bigger and keeps getting bigger

My reason, so much easier setup, and there are no limits to weight with our trucks.

We are completely content with our current setup, but we do want the outdoor kitchen, and are thinking bunks for easier sleeping quarters. Folding out the couch gets old.

Very hard to find this setup under 30 feet, 28 is really the biggest we want to go.

The only reason we transitioned from tent to pop up and not straight to travel trailer was we really thought we were going to miss tents.

We still do tents from time to time, so we don't really miss it cause we still do it.

With the 1500, payload may make your overall size smaller. If you don't put lots of stuff in the truck cab or bed, you can go bigger on the trailer.

Never really worried much about overloading Dodge trucks, but the scales have been going from big rigs, to contractors, and now to us campers.

Here in Pennsylvania it is real easy for the dealer to issue you tags under the weight you need.

Note that class 2 is 7000lbs...GVWR on a 4wd Ram is now 7100...so be aware of this.

Guess i got off from your original question.

Drive through a state park on a rainy weekend. Look at all the extra tarps around the pop ups.

A new one will be fine. But just a few years, sometimes only one and the issue could happen. Not that a larger travel trailer can't or won't leak...but the additional setup of a pop up in the rain, that is the main reason.

If weight was an issue, I could deal with the rain a little more.

Who am I kidding. I have come to enjoy getting wet. This year it has rained, poured everytime we went out.
Great answer and great information. Thanks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@DeanKing and anyone for that matter, if you haven't already download the Reserve America App. Great for state and federal parks.

We also have 2 other RV camping apps we use, but I haven't download them yet on this phone.

I have seen the rental campers and this seems like a real good way to figure out what you want or need (yes two very different things lol)

Once we make the decision on our next tow rig, we plan to hit every state park in PA. Then if we hadn't already, camp in every county.

By then it will just be us and the boy and we plan to start hitting other states.

We do have a few long distance trips planned over the next 2 years, but not sure exactly where yet.

Note that towing laws do change from state to state

DeanKing

Reaction score
@DeanKing and anyone for that matter, if you haven't already download the Reserve America App. Great for state and federal parks.

We also have 2 other RV camping apps we use, but I haven't download them yet on this phone.

I have seen the rental campers and this seems like a real good way to figure out what you want or need (yes two very different things lol)

Once we make the decision on our next tow rig, we plan to hit every state park in PA. Then if we hadn't already, camp in every county.

By then it will just be us and the boy and we plan to start hitting other states.

We do have a few long distance trips planned over the next 2 years, but not sure exactly where yet.

Note that towing laws do change from state to state
What the heck is a towing law?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Speed limits, combinations, weights, licensing, rules about occupancy, lanes of travel, I could go on and on, but it is different by state.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mean to scare or over worry anyone. 90% of the population sees the commercial that says truck such and such can tow 14000 lbs. They go to the RV dealer and get sold onethat weighs 14000lbs (not knowing putting stuff in the camper adds to that weight) they then hook it to their truck and go all over with no problems.

Just trying to educate that there are weights and laws that you need to know.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2 more weekends of camping. We just did our favorite weekend of Halloween camping. Everyone decorates their sites, there is a parade, trick or treating, and a hayride.

Now there won't be too many other campers.

A few campgrounds will still be open, and we are kicking around the idea of getting away camping for Thanksgiving break.

This is my favorite time of year. It goes so fast though.

RebelMike

Reaction score
@DeanKing if you are undecided between a popup and a travel trailer, you might want to check out a Hybrid. We have had one since 2013, and absolutely love it. We owned a popup before that. It is the best of both worlds, You get the conveniences of a travel trailer, and the tent beds of a popup. Way less setup than a popup too. Here is a pic of ours with my old 2014 Sport. The new Rebel tows it so much better by the way.

IMG_20150429_183308.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When it Rains for the weekend and you have to slide them in, is there something that keeps the water from going into your interior.

I have seen them set up,and they do seem to be neat for warmer camping. I have never been inside one stowed away,and am curious how that goes.

We have had an extremely wet season this year. Everytime we went camping it has rained...most times poured...we had to evacuate fromthe river.

Just curious how these fair in the rain...more so closing up in a storm and continued rain throughout the week.

Main reason we almost immediately went from a pop up to a travel trailer.

At least the tents we could set up in the basement to dry.

And how are they in the cold of April and have you camped into November.

Maybe this isn't even an issue, very curious to know

Glad to hear the Rebel tows it better @RebelMike.

I really want a Rebel.

RebelMike

Reaction score
@devildodge, the ends on this are different then popops. They don't slide in, they are hinged at the bottom, and fold up like a murphy bed. the canvas is also permanently attached and sealed on most of the newer ones (2011 and newer), so water doesn't get inside. There are no bungie cords at the bottom or support poles underneath. You still need to worry about drying them out when you get home if they were put away wet, but that is easy, you just drop the doors open. I will see If I have any pics of them folded up, but I can use the whole inside of my camper when they are closed. As far as keeping warm or cool, I have camped in 100 degree heat and 20 degree cold. The camper has ducted heat and air just like a travel trailer. If you have electricity, it also has mattress heaters. Now If I know we are going to be somewhere cold for a length of time, I have reflectix sheets cutout that I put in the tent windows. But I do use it in cold weather. As a matter of fact, we just got back from a trip to Vermont last week. Temps were in the lows 30s every night, and had frost most mornings.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2014 Sport, and I still miss it at times, but this new Rebel is a beast, and you don't even know the camper is back there now. Plus the ride difference is incredible. I totally love my Rebel, and don't regret buying it at all.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Learn something new everyday.

I would like to see pics of them stowed for travel.

Seems you are very prepared to use your camper in all seasons.

Enjoy knowing it is possible and comfortable.

The mattress heaters...is that something the camper came with or you installed.

I really want to go to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. In a few years we will be takinglonger trips and they are on the list.

Thanks again.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I am tempted about this its actually got decent looking interior not the cheap looking tacky crap most US manufacturers are doing my 90 year old grandma got a more taste than what the vast majority of the campers or at least manufacturers in the US have... And the off grid capabilities are nice plus as well so...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread