5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping, tent, travel trailer, HAMMOCK

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am tempted about this its actually got decent looking interior not the cheap looking tacky crap most US manufacturers are doing my 90 old grandma got a more contemporary taste than what the vast majority of the campers or at least manufacturers in the US have... And the off grid capabilities are nice plus as well so...
Thanks for that info.

Now that would look great behind a Powerwagon or Rebel.

RebelMike

Reaction score
I agree that's a nice rig, and would look amazing behind my Rebel, but I don't think I will be buying one at that price point.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I agree that's a nice rig, and would look amazing behind my Rebel, but I don't think I will be buying one at that price point.

Honestly I think its not bad... Something that has remotely as nice interior would be an airstream, which would be even more and this rig gives you more off grid capabilities with solar, larger water tanks, filters and a really nice outdoor kitchen...

I'd love to get a trailer but I can't stand that cheapo 70s grandma style interior they all do except of airstream and I'd choose the HQ19 over an overpriced airstream...

RebelMike

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Learn something new everyday.

I would like to see pics of them stowed for travel.

Seems you are very prepared to use your camper in all seasons.

Enjoy knowing it is possible and comfortable.

The mattress heaters...is that something the camper came with or you installed.

I really want to go to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. In a few years we will be takinglonger trips and they are on the list.

Thanks again.

The mattress heaters came standard with the camper, and we use them if we have hookups.

We go to Vermont camping every year in October. You will love it, especially this time of year. It's so relaxing up there, well, at least once you get past Albany!

We also go to Maine camping every year in August. It's a long drive, but we go for a week usually, so it's worth it. I love camping all over, and don't mind the drive to get there. I like to camp at state parks, and Army Core of Engineer campgrounds mostly.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. We do mostly state parks cause they are so easy to reserve with Reserve America.

We are working on hitting all the state parks in Pennsylvania. Then in about 2 years we will have more vacation time and try to branch out to the neighboring states and then start trying to hit every state.

We are an outdoors family so camping is a great relaxation for us.

We have done a few private parks and use one for Chrysler and Trucks at Carlilse.

Hoping to upgrade both the truck and trailer soon. I just can not give up my V10...even before we sold our 2013 Cummins, I still enjoyed hauling with the 99 more. Wish rust wouldn't have took over.

Thanks again.

RebelMike

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I never had the V10, but I had a 2000 sport quad cab, with a 360 in it. I absolutely loved that truck, but the rust got the best of it also. Door bottoms, rockers, rear fender wells, bottom of tailgate...

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am tempted about this its actually got decent looking interior not the cheap looking tacky crap most US manufacturers are doing my 90 year old grandma got a more taste than what the vast majority of the campers or at least manufacturers in the US have... And the off grid capabilities are nice plus as well so...
I was checking out that site. Those are some seriously different campers.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think camping with a trailer wasn't really camping. Now that I'm old, I've changed my mind...
Nice setup. The travel trailer makes it alot easier to just go camping. The tents were easier to haul...the rest is easier and more pleasant with a camper.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday was the last day of the season at most state parks here. We camped at our favorite place, and guess what, it rained. Didn't even build a fire.

Some parks are open til the 15th of December so we may go out once more.

April can not come soon enough.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
I am tempted about this its actually got decent looking interior not the cheap looking tacky crap most US manufacturers are doing my 90 year old grandma got a more taste than what the vast majority of the campers or at least manufacturers in the US have... And the off grid capabilities are nice plus as well so...
Wow. That's definitely unique. It looks like they are pretty heavy trailers though. Would have to watch your payload.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Wow. That's definitely unique. It looks like they are pretty heavy trailers though. Would have to watch your payload.

Well max trailer weight is 1000lbs so definitely on the heavy side but just about ok for the RAM

W9MCP

Reaction score
Towed my small hard sided popup down to GA this past weekend for an event. I had just passed 1k miles on the way to get it out of storage at my brother’s farm before the trip so I wasn’t worried about towing on the engine break-in period, but I’ve now crossed 2k. Snagged a pic as I parked it, but you can tell the truck was being used as a truck, even tho it’s a fancy-dancy Limited ;)

Had the rear seats folded up and several hundred pounds of tools in large plastic totes; the flat floor made getting them in and out much easier. The underfloor storage is perfect for ratchet straps, spare hitch accessories, jumper cables, gloves, safety vests, magnetic base led lights, etc. I definitely appreciated the backup camera and air suspension for making hitching up and dropping the trailer quicker, and the trailer detection for the blind spot monitoring worked fine.

Towed at 70-75 mph from IN to GA through Chattanooga, and had no issues with 15+ mpg. With tow mode off, eco mode engaged without issue whenever I was in slower traffic. All of the trip was in rain, and the place I was headed to has some very well worn gravel “wishes it was still gravel” 0FD69A26-F578-4529-BF72-28B774F465A7.jpeg paths with a slick coating of red Georgia clay on top, but the stock tires with a quick set to 4wd auto climbed right up the hills that some other folks had failed to get up. didn’t try in 2wd, but the way it went up the hill I’m sure it would have been fine.

The trailer is a Rockwood A122-SESP, and has 2 batteries & 2 propane tanks on the tongue, plus several totes under the bed (aft ofthe door/over the axle), plus quite a bit of weight forward with a bunch of tools under the table (Forward of the door) and weight from 5 gallons of gas and an extra full Blue Rhino & portable heater I brought for an outdoor pole barn in the big storage compartment on the front of the trailer. Not like it’s a heavy setup, but about 3k as loaded.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@W9MCP that is a nice setup you have. Sounds like the truck performed well and will serve your needs fine.

Love seeing these trucks work and love hearing about the trucks getting the job done.

Thanks for sharing your camping setup.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’ve camped my whole life in one shape or form....tents when I was younger and a hybrid travel trailer now. We also love our hammocks when we go hiking. The hybrid is perfect for my family of 5, queen beds in both ends and the couch for our youngest. Best part is it’s 24’ when folded up so it’s light and easy to haul and it’s all open living space when you get it set up.

BD620E90-54E9-41CE-B3C5-BB1207E1563E.jpeg

0D992A86-42F8-40FA-95DE-2D6A9631D737.jpeg

Someone asked about the hybrid when it’s folded up...

1A9A8853-AAAD-4E5E-9E3A-38DE4B3CCAF4.jpeg

And not had a chance to do more than back it into the backyard with my 19 yet but from what I’m reading I expect it to do better than the 16 pictured above.

1F988192-7C7F-4D01-ABBA-112B35F1E2A3.jpeg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. We met our first hammock campers last year when we primitive camped at Bilger's Rocks(an interesting rock formation in Central Pa)

They set up right next to the river and it seemed so much better than setting a tent in the same area.

We got hammocks now. Just haven't used them yet. It rained everytime we wen this year.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
It was raining in that picture lightly, downpoured on us all night and we stayed dry and warm. A good tarp, a bug net for the summer, and a quality set of quilts and hammocks can’t be beat. We have used them down in the upper 20’s and been snug and warm all night, on the hammock forums ive seen guys go out in the sub zeroes and stayed warm. Nothing like swaying slightly all night long while snoring loud enough to scare the bears away! Haha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, where is the pic taken.

Thanks for the info. Always like to hear how people do things in the outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread