5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping, tent, travel trailer, HAMMOCK

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
we already made our first trip for the year. Great time was had by all.

Just curious if anyone else is camping and what their flavor is.

We tent camped for years, then did a pop up for a short time. We weren't real sure about travel trailer, so we bought a cheap one and it has worked out great.

@LOU.2 showed his awesome setups in another thread of mine and I have seen a few others with a travel trailer in the background.

The latest craze we came across was the Hammock campers. Anyone try that. Sure seems the light easy way to go.

Heading out again in a weekend or so. Can't wait.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I usually do the tent thing, going at the end of May and will be camping in a tent. A friend of mine just picked up a WJ Grand Cherokee for camping and is setting it up as sort of a light overlanding vehicle. With the rear seats folded down him and his wife can sleep in the back of it and I think that is his plan for this year, "car camping."

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
I usually do the tent thing, going at the end of May and will be camping in a tent. A friend of mine just picked up a WJ Grand Cherokee for camping and is setting it up as sort of a light overlanding vehicle. With the rear seats folded down him and his wife can sleep in the back of it and I think that is his plan for this year, "car camping."
Not sure if I posted this before, but . . . this was from last years extended/open-ended fly fish/camp trip to SW Colorado region . . . my G.C. in Recon Green and my Kodiak Canvas 4 season tent ! Which I no longer have the "Desire" to "Deal" with the Putting up & taking Down = too much like "WORK" for these tired old bones ! THUS THE RETURN TO "TRUCK-BED CAMPING" YEA !

(see attachment)(see attachment)

Attachments

• P1000252.JPG
    P1000252.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 282
  • P1000251.JPG
    P1000251.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 283

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
Not sure if I posted this before, but . . . this was from last years extended/open-ended fly fish/camp trip to SW Colorado region . . . my G.C. in Recon Green and my Kodiak Canvas 4 season tent ! Which I no longer have the "Desire" to "Deal" with the Putting up & taking Down = too much like "WORK" for these tired old bones ! THUS THE RETURN TO "TRUCK-BED CAMPING" YEA !

Looks like a nice setup and a nice area for sure.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
It was my very 1st tent set up and too close to civilization for my blood . . . but it worked for the first few days, then I moved on up closer to the source (Reservoir/dam) near waters edge ! As Unpredictable Colorado Fall weather got Closer and I got a bit higher up (elevation) I had to stop Camping and started Moteling - kinda defeated the purpose of the "adventuring part" so I ended up ending the trip about 8/9 days early. Got back home to Eastern WA. on October 2nd. Started the trip - you may recall that Total Eclipse thing back on 22nd of August, that day I left hoping to avoid ALL the Oregon Crowds & I did !

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
Break out your atlas's . . . it was just outside of Carbondale, Colorado . Then I moved on to Basalt and on to the Reservoir (Ruedi) - the River being the Fryingpan ! To make a LONG story short, I camped/fly fished my way South & West . . . such places as; Redstone, Marble, Crested Butte, Gunnison, Cimarron, Montrose, Ridgeway, Delta, . . . thenI cut the trip short (weather for camping) and instead of going to Ouray, Silverton & Telluride, I headed to Grand Junction and out the State for Home -- August 22 -- October 2nd 2017 !
Wonder what this year will bring now that I am towing my new toy -- with the G.C. for now; the DT later, I pray !

the new toy -- 14' drift boat, Pintail Model ! Those from Michigan may recognize "It's" pedigree - Baldwin ! ?

Attachments

• 539908232.jpg
    539908232.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 539908244.jpg
    539908244.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 157

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well rain, awards banquets, and prom put camping on hold for a couple weekends, but we are headed out for Memorial day weekend.

We will be going to the last place we camped with our faithful friend.

Gonna be alot of missing him this weekend I am sure.

(see attachment) 20160529_123731.jpg

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
topped off the fluids, checked the brakes and tires, and cleaned the windows on the 03 Hemi and 99 V10.

Loaded up the wood and have the 99 ready to tow.

Heading off to camp for Memorial Day weekend.
263a.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Loaded mine all up to leave tomorrow morning. I just got to work, getting off at 6:30 in the morning then sleeping for a few hours and taking off.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
(see attachment)

Still have some stuff to load up but that's most of it. Have to pick up a few people and their gear in the morning as well.

Attachments

• IMG-20180524-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20180524-WA0007.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 194

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Loaded mine all up to leave tomorrow morning. I just got to work, getting off at 6:30 in the morning then sleeping for a few hours and taking off.
Where are you going?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are technically still camping (had to come down for work) Going back up this evening and right before dark heading back down with the travel trailer.

Had an uneventful weekend, great weather (except for rain on saturday). We got to enjoy some swimming, but we didn't bring the kayaks along.

Saw a turkey in full strut and got chased by some horses that escaped from a barn on one of our drives.

All in all a good time, don't want to leave the campground but can't wait to tow with the Ole V10.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have been camping a few more times since the last post.

We usually camp at state parks, but have been doing some actual rv parks and themed campgrounds lately.

Really have enjoyed them. Heading to another on Sunday and then the next Thursday we are going to another for Truck Nationals at Carlisle.

We are planning a trip up to Niagara Falls and one to the beach (east coast). Anyone got any info on any good places in those areas?

Dremin2flyhi

Reaction score
Started with a Travel Trailer --28ft --done some KOA's in the Smokey Mnts and some RV resorts in Myrtle Beach area--moved up to a 5th wheel 2 years ago .. wife got tired of keeping up basically 2 houses in a sense and the maintenance on the RV was kinda a pain.. So we just sold the RV about 3 weeks ago .. We enjoy cruising -- so we can take a real vacation RV1.jpg

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Many happy years camping with a small fifth wheel, towed all over the US with our faithful 98 Ram. The trailer eventually had to be retired, but the Ram is still going strong. We have a 2019 Ram on order due soon, and will be getting a new camper next year for more adventures. St Mary hillside campsite.JPG

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a camping trip to the river, one of the places Mother nature is in control.

Anyone else camp by the river, and how do you plan trips to this type of location.

We got there on Sunday, and by Tuesday they started moving people and by Wednesday it was evident that we had to go or stay longer.

It was very interesting watching the river rise, but also concerning as I have lived near a creek all my life, but you could easily watch it rise, and I was very apprehensive as I have been told the river can do it in a heartbeat.

Just another interesting, unpredictable experience we had. So much rain we just stayed in our swimsuits and spent the 4 days we got right in the rain.

Good times.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Made a camping trip to a new campground and it made our yearly trip to Truck Nationals much better.

We had a great time at both the campground and at the truck show.

Got to see some interesting towing debacles, first one being a person towing a fifth wheel with a Nissan Titan (an older one, not the new HD) well looks like overlpadding one of those sheared off all the lug bolts. Wonder how bad the driver dirtied his pants...everyone seemed to be ok, no ambulances just some EMS and Fire directing traffic.

Then got to see someone hauling a boat with a chevy suv (equinox like...) it was off to the side of a very steep hill with the hood popped and a disgusted looking guy sitting on the trailer fender.

Still impressed by the people who haul these bigger campers with 1/2 ton trucks. On the hills headed down there my 2500 V10 was earning it's keep.

Users who are viewing this thread