5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping, tent, travel trailer, HAMMOCK

ortvk

Reaction score
The answer is...E. none of the above. I bought a 2015 Tradesman 2500 to do the camping duties.

We may be heading out this weekend, but it snowed today.

Very anxious to get camping.

My In-Laws have been out camping for about 2 weeks now. So freaking jealous!!!!! We were able to burn up all the large sticks and some leaves at home a week or so ago so atleast I got some bonfire feels going on. Almost that time!!!

Tommy R

Reaction score
I've been working on the truck lately. 2.5" Motofab spacers with ReadyLift uppers, 18x9 wheels, 295/70 tires, Air Lift 5000 remote control air bag setup for the rear, some AMP Research steps, and since I'm heading to Big Bend State Park (West Texas) I've been focusing on getting the "overland" portion of the rig up to the task. First, here's a pic of the rig with the tent deployed:
IMG_4190-L.jpg

IMG_4193-L.jpg

Then I came up with a way to easily mount my 6.5' awning. It's a bit too long as I originally bought it for my diesel (quad cab/short bed), but it doesn't stick out too far off the back and the extra shade will be appreciated by my pale skin!
IMG_4301-L.jpg

IMG_4298-L.jpg

And because my truck gets absolutely atrocious fuel economy (thanks, Ram!) and because we'll be very remote and using a lot of 4-low, I decided I'd better pack a little extra fuel. I got a Rotopax "Fuel Pax" 3.5 gallon unit to try. Made a super simple bracket repurposing my Hi-Lift mounts and some 3/16" thick flat steel plate. This also shows how I used some muffler clamps to mount the awning to the rack. I've got some different Hi-Lift mounts coming on Friday and will install it before we head out.
IMG_4320-X2-crop-L.jpg

Here's a view from the outside. I bought my rack used and it came with some rubber tool mounts so I figured, what the heck! I got a cheap shovel to toss in there.....just in case. :) I've got a jerry can and a shovel......am I overlanding correctly now?? LOL
IMG_4323-L.jpg

And now for something different.... I don't care to drive around with my tent/awning/etc. on my truck 24/7. I have several reasons for this, but removing it is not an easy task. The rack weighs about 50 lbs, I'm guessing. The tent is over 150 lbs. The awning is probably abother 30 lbs. So it's a lot for one person to manage. I also want a system to remove it relatively quickly. My goal is to remove it entirely and store it in my backyard within a 30 minute window. I wrestled with a ton of different ideas and finally starting coming up with something. The end goal is a hitch-mounted crane on a swivel and a winch. The crane will be multiple pieces for easy(ish) assembly and storage. Here's the base, some 2" square tube (1/8" wall). It's sleeved with some 1-1/4" sch 40 pipe (if I recall). I welded a large washer to it and slathered grease on it.
IMG_4254-L.jpg

Then I drop these boom onto the round tubing. It also has a flat washer welded to the base to help everything rotate more smoothly.
IMG_4237-L.jpg

I added a winch, some pullies, and with some tie-downs wrapped around the assembly I tried lifting it. Unfortunately, there was too much flex in the assembly as you can see. However! It did start to lift the tent assembly so at a minimum I have proof of concept here.
IMG_4258-L.jpg

Now I'm in the process of addressing some of the weak links in the design. I could go with heavier wall material, add a bunch of gussets, etc......but then this thing would be too heavy and it's already pretty tall and rather challenging! I'm in the process of experimenting with tension cables/straps and we'll see where this leads me. Below is the first phase of the next step, but it's on hold until I get back from my camping trip this weekend. :)
IMG_4258-L-L.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your setup
Alot if ingenuity there. Looks like you are going to have alot of fun.

Awesome

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I've been working on the truck lately. 2.5" Motofab spacers with ReadyLift uppers, 18x9 wheels, 295/70 tires, Air Lift 5000 remote control air bag setup for the rear, some AMP Research steps, and since I'm heading to Big Bend State Park (West Texas) I've been focusing on getting the "overland" portion of the rig up to the task. First, here's a pic of the rig with the tent deployed:
IMG_4190-L.jpg

IMG_4193-L.jpg

Then I came up with a way to easily mount my 6.5' awning. It's a bit too long as I originally bought it for my diesel (quad cab/short bed), but it doesn't stick out too far off the back and the extra shade will be appreciated by my pale skin!
IMG_4301-L.jpg

IMG_4298-L.jpg

And because my truck gets absolutely atrocious fuel economy (thanks, Ram!) and because we'll be very remote and using a lot of 4-low, I decided I'd better pack a little extra fuel. I got a Rotopax "Fuel Pax" 3.5 gallon unit to try. Made a super simple bracket repurposing my Hi-Lift mounts and some 3/16" thick flat steel plate. This also shows how I used some muffler clamps to mount the awning to the rack. I've got some different Hi-Lift mounts coming on Friday and will install it before we head out.
IMG_4320-X2-crop-L.jpg

Here's a view from the outside. I bought my rack used and it came with some rubber tool mounts so I figured, what the heck! I got a cheap shovel to toss in there.....just in case. :) I've got a jerry can and a shovel......am I overlanding correctly now?? LOL
IMG_4323-L.jpg

And now for something different.... I don't care to drive around with my tent/awning/etc. on my truck 24/7. I have several reasons for this, but removing it is not an easy task. The rack weighs about 50 lbs, I'm guessing. The tent is over 150 lbs. The awning is probably abother 30 lbs. So it's a lot for one person to manage. I also want a system to remove it relatively quickly. My goal is to remove it entirely and store it in my backyard within a 30 minute window. I wrestled with a ton of different ideas and finally starting coming up with something. The end goal is a hitch-mounted crane on a swivel and a winch. The crane will be multiple pieces for easy(ish) assembly and storage. Here's the base, some 2" square tube (1/8" wall). It's sleeved with some 1-1/4" sch 40 pipe (if I recall). I welded a large washer to it and slathered grease on it.
IMG_4254-L.jpg

Then I drop these boom onto the round tubing. It also has a flat washer welded to the base to help everything rotate more smoothly.
IMG_4237-L.jpg

I added a winch, some pullies, and with some tie-downs wrapped around the assembly I tried lifting it. Unfortunately, there was too much flex in the assembly as you can see. However! It did start to lift the tent assembly so at a minimum I have proof of concept here.
IMG_4258-L.jpg

Now I'm in the process of addressing some of the weak links in the design. I could go with heavier wall material, add a bunch of gussets, etc......but then this thing would be too heavy and it's already pretty tall and rather challenging! I'm in the process of experimenting with tension cables/straps and we'll see where this leads me. Below is the first phase of the next step, but it's on hold until I get back from my camping trip this weekend. :)
IMG_4258-L-L.jpg

Now that is a bad *** setup. I’ve rock crawled my jeeps for years but have been wanting to get into overlanding for a while now. Definitely color me jealous, you have a great setup!

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Had the local shakedown trip this past weekend. Felt good to get out and enjoy the camper and a couple of campfires . Couple of the kids on spring break this week, so back out to a local campground tomorrow for a four night stay. Unfortunately, I still have to work...but it's close enough to commute :) Still having issues with the towing setup, but we're working on it. Glad camping season is finally upon us! Happy Camping!

IMG_0325.jpg

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good idea to bring extra fuel. We were in/around big bend two weeks ago. Gas stations were hard to find and only open certain days/hours. Some towns had no fuel at all. Passed a sign that said next fuel 88 miles, and they weren’t lying! Fill early, fill often.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We were heading out this weekend, but it is to snow Sunday.
We have been Reserved for April 12th for sometime so not too much longer

ortvk

Reaction score
Got back Sunday from our first trip of the season. Also first time pulling with the new Ram.

Awwwww man the smoked foods! So jealous! We leave in 2 weeks for just 2 nights. Got the camper plugged in last night and ready to clean up a bit and just go!!!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight will be the first trip of the season. Of course, rain is in the forecast.

This will be the maiden voyage of our truck. 392 HEMI and auto trans has to outshine my 488 Magnum and 5 speed Manual.

Anxious to see if the Crew Cab longbed is easy enough to maneuver, or if it will be a bear compared to quad cab shortbed.

We are camping at our local state park. We are not taking the kayaks but will have our bikes and plan to Geocache. We may even fish, since it is the first day of trout.

We started modernizing the inside of our camper, we are gonna probably squeeze this season and most of next out of it. I installed new flooring the past 2 nights. and am happy with the results.

Now, just to get through this day at work.

ortvk

Reaction score
Tonight will be the first trip of the season. Of course, rain is in the forecast.

This will be the maiden voyage of our truck. 392 HEMI and auto trans has to outshine my 488 Magnum and 5 speed Manual.

Anxious to see if the Crew Cab longbed is easy enough to maneuver, or if it will be a bear compared to quad cab shortbed.

We are camping at our local state park. We are not taking the kayaks but will have our bikes and plan to Geocache. We may even fish, since it is the first day of trout.

We started modernizing the inside of our camper, we are gonna probably squeeze this season and most of next out of it. I installed new flooring the past 2 nights. and am happy with the results.

Now, just to get through this day at work.

Safe travels and happy camping! We'll be taking ours out on Monday for a few days for the first time. Fingers crossed as well!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heading out again tonight to camp for Easter.

Might be too cold to Kayak yet, but we will be biking and geocaching.

Beautiful day today. Rain is in the forecast.

Scavenger hunt followed by an Easter egg hunt on Saturday.

Hope to see the Bald Eagles this weekend. They are the focus of one of the Geocaches.

Anxiously awaiting hooking the camper to the new drop hitch I got. Hope 7 and 3/4 inches is enough.

Hope anyone else going camping has a great weekend and safe travels.

RebelMike

Reaction score
Hope you have a good trip. Sounds like a fun weekend. It sounds like you are going to get wet though.

We are headed out to Raccoon Creek State park next weekend. First trip of the season.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you have a good trip. Sounds like a fun weekend. It sounds like you are going to get wet though.

We are headed out to Raccoon Creek State park next weekend. First trip of the season.
Thank you.

Last year, every weekend we either set up in the rain or tore down in the rain. Many weekends it rained for both and some weekends it didnt stop. We even got evacuated from out trip to the river.

This truck has HD vinyl and rubber floors,so it will take the rain better.

I missed our dog last year, but he would have been soaked and muddy every trip.

It is to be dry on Saturday, which is the hunts, so that will be nice.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We had a great time camping. The Easter bunny was able to find us, and he hid some Easter eggs for the kids. They all had a great time, the holiday trip worked well.

The park had a scavenger hunt, which we did well at, but the Easter egghunt they put on was attended by alot of people. It was fun, but muddy.

We hit some old and new Geocache spots. The kids love finding these things.

We didnt get around to the Eagle side...maybe next time.

Still thoroughly impressed with the 392 Hemi and so glad for the 8 foot bed.

Til' next time

ortvk

Reaction score
Well....did the deed. Upgraded to a new camper. Jayco 265 RLS. Really going to have to look into some sort of rear air system now! haha

Users who are viewing this thread