5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Badging - How to ?

beta379

Reaction score
How did you spray the RAM on the side without getting any of the white?

I BELIEVE, You spray it on everything and peel off the portions that you don't want. Check YouTube for examples.

Alexxmackk

Reaction score

PrISM

Reaction score
@dooo

how did you paint the tailgate ram head emblem?
I did mine with Plastidip. Just mask off a box about an inch away from the emblem and spray several coats (I do around 6 because you want it to be thick). When it's dry you just peel the Plastidip off your paint and it'll cut itself all around the emblem. Check out some tutorials on Youtube.

aametzger

Reaction score
Was anyone able to pull off the hood bezels on a non-sport hood without breaking the clips? I was hoping to reinstall the same ones after customizing them. It seems that most others just pulled them and replaced them with new ones so breaking the clips was no big deal. I know I can plastidip them on the truck but would rather do them off the truck if possible.

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Was anyone able to pull off the hood bezels on a non-sport hood without breaking the clips? I was hoping to reinstall the same ones after customizing them. It seems that most others just pulled them and replaced them with new ones so breaking the clips was no big deal. I know I can plastidip them on the truck but would rather do them off the truck if possible.

Unfortunately I have not heard of anyone being able to pull them off without breaking the clips. I plastidipped my tailgate emblem without removing it. I just made sure to cover and tape all around it. The hood emblems are next. Here is what my tailgate emblem looks like
e910f245db20999bc16764a255d03c34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambro23

Reaction score
Well it’s done, all badges changed!!!!

2775b62731d9300b851e5a894a733196.jpg

31feb57126904caf1fe418aa41e9094b.jpg

75fe5428f5e5f815999426ca863cad4c.jpg

5a14ee67b53dc6aeb1b5d8b086d36865.jpg

Just bought the black bezel to replace the chrome factory one, any tips on removing the stock one? Guessing the stock one will take some force to pry up and the clips will break off. Did the new one come with clips?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a reply from Josh at Avondale. He said $400 to do all of the badges. That would be the RAM letters on the grill, RAM letters on the doors, Sport Hood Bezel, Ram Head on tailgate, Laramie badge on tailgate, and 4x4 badge on tailgate. He didn’t itemize them but that seems like a lot more than some badges should be to me.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Just got a reply from Josh at Avondale. He said $400 to do all of the badges. That would be the RAM letters on the grill, RAM letters on the doors, Sport Hood Bezel, Ram Head on tailgate, Laramie badge on tailgate, and 4x4 badge on tailgate. He didn’t itemize them but that seems like a lot more than some badges should be to me.
Hmmm...I got mine from him also and each seemed reasonable. I do know that the Bezel for the hood was $100+ since it has the whole top part. Ram in front was cheap. Ram on tailgate more, etc. Ask him for detailed list and you can compare to Ebay, but when I compared, he was either the same or cheaper than others. You will be happy when it is all done...so much better. But a lot of work on the doors to get old adhesive off.

Abesosa

Reaction score
You know a can of plasti dip for $5 has proven to have the same overall effect

View attachment 45392 View attachment 45393

Agreed it’s the route I’m going since the oem ones are matte also and can’t tell
A difference. Not to mention I just feel replaced emblems are never as strong as the originals . Idk maybe just me

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed it’s the route I’m going since the oem ones are matte also and can’t tell
A difference. Not to mention I just feel replaced emblems are never as strong as the originals . Idk maybe just me

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Plasti dip looks great for about 3 months before it starts to fade or peel. You can see in his picture that the corner didn't get covered well and the chrome already is showing.

I used Herculiner spray bed liner on my Titan. More of a pain to tape off and paint, but it still looked fresh after 2 years of being outside and barely getting washed. Same thing I did to the RAM emblem on the front of my Rebel.

Bink

Reaction score
Does a hairdryer provide enough heat to remove the RAM on the driver and passenger doors? Also, I have the Sport and it has the cheesy “Sport” sticker on the bed...anyone removed this and was the best method?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Does a hairdryer provide enough heat to remove the RAM on the driver and passenger doors? Also, I have the Sport and it has the cheesy “Sport” sticker on the bed...anyone removed this and was the best method?
You just want to soften it a bit.
Even without heat, using fishing line and 3M eraser followed by Rapid Remover or any other adhesive remover will be fine.

Shmannion13

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. What is the best quality method of taking all exterior chrome badges, trim and grill and making them black. I don't want the most cost effective, but want something done right, that looks good and will last and will hire a professional custom company to do it.

Thank you
The RAM in the grille was super easy I bought a trim kit on amazon for like $15 which is basically just Small plastic pry bars get behind the letters and just work it out there will be snapping noises as the letters have clips and studs with arrow shaped heads that allow it to go in but not come out.just got slow and work it!!!!! I bought the letters from a mopar online wholesaler .

Attachments

• E2846861-61B7-4AA2-8E19-064226A6AA77.jpeg
    E2846861-61B7-4AA2-8E19-064226A6AA77.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 47

Jeremy47

Reaction score
I got all of my OEM black lettering from a couple of places on Ebay. Just get the Mopar part numbers. Pricing may be a bit better as well.

Bink

Reaction score
I got the truck all debadged, and I’m a lot happier with the less chrome. I have letters for the grille on the way since users were saying that is pretty easy to DIY. The tailgate badge sounds a lot more complicated...tried to find someone who made a video tutorial but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread