5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIGHORN gets Bilstein 5100’s

justinbeez

Reaction score
That was a primary reason I went back down to #4. Once I put my Retrax pro metal cover on, I ended up 1/4” lower in the back. #4 put me about 3/8” lower in the front. I didn’t expect the ride to change much, but was happily surprised.

Hm, wondering if I should go with #4 on orp when I order mine. I have ram boxes so I'm assuming it'll be close to what yours is at with a cover.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hm, wondering if I should go with #4 on orp when I order mine. I have ram boxes so I'm assuming it'll be close to what yours is at with a cover.

I also have ramboxes and pano. I ended up on #4 and it worked out well. I didn’t want to entertain any more lift in the back due to garage door clearance, so happy with how it turned out at this setting.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry guys, fresh off a 700mi road trip, but here she sits! I can’t promise this gravel drive is perfectly level, but trust me that I’ve measured it at least 20x, ha!

f6d19503142c07137a6027b34c658ac9.jpg

justinbeez

Reaction score
Sorry guys, fresh off a 700mi road trip, but here she sits! I can’t promise this gravel drive is perfectly level, but trust me that I’ve measured it at least 20x, ha!

f6d19503142c07137a6027b34c658ac9.jpg
Well, I'm sold on the #4 lol. Love how it sits perfect

Sugar

Reaction score
Non-ORP at #7 should be pretty similar to ORP at #5 since the ORP spring makes up about 1” of ride height difference.

I can only tell you my experience, but ORP on #5 was quite a bit stiffer than stock. Potholes and other bumps in the road were pretty sharp hit. I backed mine off to #4... not honestly expecting it to be much better but it actually improved the ride quality quite a lot. #5 is the max recommended setting for ORP springs and I was honestly pretty dissatisfied with the ride quality.

Some guys seem to not be bothered by it, but that was my experience. I’m happy with the setup one position away from max.
Thanks for the input taco. I have seen a good bit of people on here running 5 with ORP. I thinking I will just go with 6 on mine (if I ever get some free time to actually install ‍♂️)

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input taco. I have seen a good bit of people on here running 5 with ORP. I thinking I will just go with 6 on mine (if I ever get some free time to actually install ‍♂)

Just keep in mind it's stated not to run over setting #5 if you have ORP.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input taco. I have seen a good bit of people on here running 5 with ORP. I thinking I will just go with 6 on mine (if I ever get some free time to actually install ‍)

Good luck! Glad to hear you’re doing it on your own. It’s really a non-issue if you end up higher or lower than expected. My first install was about 4.5hrs, and involved some trial and error in finding the best way to take the first side apart, and a trip to the store to get a pass-thru socket set. I did the move from #5 to #4 position in 2hrs.

Just pull the lower control arm alignment cam bolts out and save yourself the energy trying to get those UCA ball joints out... unless you’re replacing the UCAs during your install. Mark alignment ahead of time and you’ll be good.

I went in for alignment after my first install and they moved my cams about 1cm each. They conveniently didn’t print the before measurements.. so I’m pretty sure if must have been within spec when I brought it in.

ElJoe

Reaction score
Off topic a bit. Anyone know of you install the Mopar 2"lift and add front ORP springs, are you able to add ICON rear springs? I can't find the specs for the rear mopar fox shocks to compare the length, compression, etc... I know by adding the front ORP springs, you add another inch or so to the front. Just not sure if the icon will fit either way in the rear.

djm11778

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. Been sifting through all day trying to find info on lifts and my mind is going in circles of different setups. Just got the 2020 Bighorn Built to Serve non-ORP 4wd. This virus im assuming is keeping BDS from coming out with a 4" for the 2020s and looking to find the closest lift to it without going with brands such as RC or SST. The bilstein with icon setup caught my eye. Whats the total lift with the bilsteins all around with icon springs? My goal is to fit 35s leveled as anything smaller looks weird on the 5th gens.
Built to serve includes the ORP so you do have it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ElJoe

Reaction score
Even if it doesn't say on the window sticker that it has ORP??? 20200414_125447.jpg

justinbeez

Reaction score
Even if it doesn't say on the window sticker that it has ORP??? View attachment 59038

What he said ^^^ the ram site, and multiple online truck magazine threads mention they come pre built with the ORP. Its just part of the package code im assuming.

Edit: it states the skid plates, e locker, etc are added which I believe is also part of the ORP?

ElJoe

Reaction score
Dang. All this time and I didn't even know it. So does that mean if I get the Mopar 2" lift, I can just keep my front ORP springs right? Does this change anything for my rear?

justinbeez

Reaction score
Dang. All this time and I didn't even know it. So does that mean if I get the Mopar 2" lift, I can just keep my front ORP springs right? Does this change anything for my rear?

I believe you will only net 1" in front because the ORP springs already raise you 1 inch. You won't gain anything in the rear except the 1" you already have from the rear springs as well. If you went with say bilstein. You would gain roughly 2" at setting 5 because a non orp setup gains approximately 2.75 without the orp springs in front and they can go up to setting #7. Could you go higher than #5 on the bilsteins with ORP. Maybe, but I'm assuming by basic common sense you would be pushing past the limits of what the shock can travel from the forces of a stiffer spring.

Krootz

Reaction score
I believe you will only net 1" in front because the ORP springs already raise you 1 inch. You won't gain anything in the rear except the 1" you already have from the rear springs as well. If you went with say bilstein. You would gain roughly 2" at setting 5 because a non orp setup gains approximately 2.75 without the orp springs in front and they can go up to setting #7. Could you go higher than #5 on the bilsteins with ORP. Maybe, but I'm assuming by basic common sense you would be pushing past the limits of what the shock can travel from the forces of a stiffer spring.
If you look at the bilstein instructions for the 5100’s they clearly show lift height gains for both normal AND off road package suspension. Max height for the ORPs is 2”. Max height for normal suspension is 2.6”.

I got the BTS truck too. I called Bilstein customer service and ran all this down with the rep.

Attachments

• EEAFA7B5-68B0-430D-89FF-B4195480B00A.jpeg
    EEAFA7B5-68B0-430D-89FF-B4195480B00A.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 108

Sugar

Reaction score
Just keep in mind it's stated not to run over setting #5 if you have ORP.
Thanks Grape. I'm in a non-orp truck so I'll be good to go. Can't wait to actually get it done along with the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread