5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIGHORN gets Bilstein 5100’s

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. Been sifting through all day trying to find info on lifts and my mind is going in circles of different setups. Just got the 2020 Bighorn Built to Serve non-ORP 4wd. This virus im assuming is keeping BDS from coming out with a 4" for the 2020s and looking to find the closest lift to it without going with brands such as RC or SST. The bilstein with icon setup caught my eye. Whats the total lift with the bilsteins all around with icon springs? My goal is to fit 35s leveled as anything smaller looks weird on the 5th gens.
5100 front 2.6” max setting 5160 rear with Icon springs 1.5” (with 5’7” bed)

You can not use 5100’s in the rear with the Icon springs. Rear 5100’s do not support 1.5” lift (5100 0-1” 5160 0-1.5”)

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5100 front 2.6” max setting 5160 rear with Icon springs 1.5” (with 5’7” bed)

You can not use 5100’s in the rear with the Icon springs. Rear 5100’s do not support 1.5” lift (5100 0-1” 5160 0-1.5”)

That’s actually not true. The 5100s will accept 1” lift on a ORP truck. I confirmed it with Bilstein. So the Icon springs should only be 1/2” higher than ORP, and you’d be safe with the 5100.

It’s not clear on their documentation, but engineering gave me the thumbs up. Their customer service is very quick to respond, too!

justinbeez

Reaction score
Would bilsteins at max setting ruin ride quality? Such as lack of compression/rebound? Would 35s fit on a bilstein/icon/uca setup compared to a less desired 3.5 leveling kit? I only ask this for the ram because I had a leveling kit with eibachs on my last truck (colorado z71) and it felt a tad more on the harsher side.

That’s actually not true. The 5100s will accept 1” lift on a ORP truck. I confirmed it with Bilstein. So the Icon springs should only be 1/2” higher than ORP, and you’d be safe with the 5100.

It’s not clear on their documentation, but engineering gave me the thumbs up. Their customer service is very quick to respond, too!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would bilsteins at max setting ruin ride quality? Such as lack of compression/rebound? Would 35s fit on a bilstein/icon/uca setup compared to a less desired 3.5 leveling kit? I only ask this for the ram because I had a leveling kit with eibachs on my last truck (colorado z71) and it felt a tad more on the harsher side.

The more preload you add to the spring, and further from stock geometry you get, the harsher it will ride. I started at #5 setting with ORP, max suggested by Bilstein, and I thought it changed the ride quality quite a bit. Some guys don’t seem to mind it, but it noticed potholes were jarring, bumps in the road were rough, etc. I backed off to #4 setting and honestly felt it improved quite a lot. Stock was definitely softer on the highway... but this i can live with.

Everyone’s opinion differs, and I know the off-road manners are much more controllable with the faster rebound, but you’ll definitely notice a stiffer ride quality.

justinbeez

Reaction score
The more preload you add to the spring, and further from stock geometry you get, the harsher it will ride. I started at #5 setting with ORP, max suggested by Bilstein, and I thought it changed the ride quality quite a bit. Some guys don’t seem to mind it, but it noticed potholes were jarring, bumps in the road were rough, etc. I backed off to #4 setting and honestly felt it improved quite a lot. Stock was definitely softer on the highway... but this i can live with.

Everyone’s opinion differs, and I know the off-road manners are much more controllable with the faster rebound, but you’ll definitely notice a stiffer ride quality.

Hmm, wondering if I should just wait for bds to test fit their 2019 4" on a 2020. Decisions, decisions. Patience is not my virtue. I like the mild lifted look on 35s for these trucks with the functionality of taking it off on trails.

Zoompastu

Reaction score

How can you say that’s actually not true when it is exactly what they have posted on their own website….
Number one he does not have the off-road package and he wants icon springs which is 1.5 inches.
Number two There’s no such thing as “should be OK.” It’s not within spec with the icon springs. It is in spec with the off-road package springs.

Don’t screw around and give bad advice. You are not a Bilstein engineer.

Attachments

• 095C879E-2DD9-4DDC-A775-DB8DA4D128AE.png
    095C879E-2DD9-4DDC-A775-DB8DA4D128AE.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How can you say that’s actually not true when it is exactly what they have posted on their own website….
Number one he does not have the off-road package and he wants icon springs which is 1.5 inches.
Number two There’s no such thing as “should be OK.” It’s not within spec with the icon springs. It is in spec with the off-road package springs.

Don’t screw around and give bad advice. You are not a Bilstein engineer.

Thanks for your opinion on my bad advice... but I’m passing along actual information from Bilsteins engineering team from asking this question. Their website says the 5100 accommodates 1” of lift, but doesn’t specify if that’s from a stock non-ORP, or ORP, so I wrote to have them clarify. So this isn’t me screwing around, and you can see the email below for better clarity.

The 5100 will accommodate 1” extra lift along with ORP springs.

That means a non-ORP could accommodate 2” of lift with a 5100, since they designed it for 1” lift in addition to a stock ORP.

From that info, we can safely assume the 1.5” lift (from a non-ORP) with Icon rear spring is also sufficient.

10430c025772df40578f9ef8ce29ae2f.jpg

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
Does Icon have front & rear springs available? Reason I'm asking I plan on going the 5100/5160 and was going to add the ORP springs, but would prefer a softer spring that still lifts?

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion on my bad advice... but I’m passing along actual information from Bilsteins engineering team from asking this question. Their website says the 5100 accommodates 1” of lift, but doesn’t specify if that’s from a stock non-ORP, or ORP, so I wrote to have them clarify. So this isn’t me screwing around, and you can see the email below for better clarity.

The 5100 will accommodate 1” extra lift along with ORP springs.

That means a non-ORP could accommodate 2” of lift with a 5100, since they designed it for 1” lift in addition to a stock ORP.

From that info, we can safely assume the 1.5” lift (from a non-ORP) with Icon rear spring is also sufficient.

10430c025772df40578f9ef8ce29ae2f.jpg
You should’ve put this information in your original post. Too many people have opinions and do not provide fact. Do I trust Joe blow on a forum or the manufacturers website ..... And if this is the case they really need to amend their website to reflect such information for the consumer

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Does Icon have front & rear springs available? Reason I'm asking I plan on going the 5100/5160 and was going to add the ORP springs, but would prefer a softer spring that still lifts?
They do not make different springs for the front to be paired with 5100s. They do make a coil over but that consists of an icon dampener in which case you would want to also use the icon shocks in the rear.

DeDax

Reaction score
I see that, so in an non-orp truck such as mine, I could use the 5100/ORP Springs in the front & the 5160 with Icon in the rear?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should’ve put this information in your original post. Too many people have opinions and do not provide fact. Do I trust Joe blow on a forum or the manufacturers website ..... And if this is the case they really need to amend their website to reflect such information for the consumer

Agreed.

Speaking of Joe Blow, you should go back and amend your post saying the 5100s can’t be used with the Icon rear springs, and the other telling me I’m wrong. That way we’re all on the same page instead of reading the conflicting information provided in this thread.

I already let Bilstein know the information they provide for Ram 1500s could use an update.

Thanks for your help.

justinbeez

Reaction score
So wrapping my mind around all the numbers and trying to achieve a 3.5 to 4" lift (leveled out) all while planning 35x12.5x20s with probably a +1, or slightly neg offset for a little wheel/tire poke (love the aggressive look)....then 5100/5600s with the icon springs, UCAs, and a motofab 2" level kit with the spacers should get me to that height if I'm getting this right. Would I need the ORP springs for the front, or do you recommend to keep the stock non ORP front springs? Hoping the CV angles aren't affected too much. Also, is it 4" and higher for these trucks where the diff/driveshaft needs to be adjusted

Last edited:

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I see that, so in an non-orp truck such as mine, I could use the 5100/ORP Springs in the front & the 5160 with Icon in the rear?
Yes you could although it would be redundant. Non ORP springs can be set to the seventh setting on the shock body. ORP springs are instructed not to be set higher than the fifth setting. Therefore the same level of height raised is achieved.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
So wrapping my mind around all the numbers and trying to achieve a 3.5 to 4" lift (leveled out) all while planning 35x12.5x20s with probably a +1, or slightly neg offset for a little wheel/tire poke (love the aggressive look)....then 5100/5600s with the icon springs, UCAs, and a motofab 2" level kit with the spacers should get me to that height if I'm getting this right. Would I need the ORP springs for the front, or do you recommend to keep the stock non ORP front springs? Hoping the CV angles aren't affected too much. Also, is it 4" and higher for these trucks where the diff needs to be adjusted
You can run that tire size with the shocks and springs or the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. It is a little stuffed but doable. You definitely will not want to stack spacers on top. It would be pretty bad for the CV and Ball joint angle. Even the rough country 3.5 inch SST kit says not for off-road use. The CV angles are at Max. If a 4 inch is what you desire the BDS kit is great. If your truck is a 2020 you’ll have to wait a little bit. There is a change in the lower crossmember so the kit needed to change for the 2020 model.

DeDax

Reaction score
Yes you could although it would be redundant. Non ORP springs can be set to the seventh setting on the shock body. ORP springs are instructed not to be set higher than the fifth setting. Therefore the same level of height raised is achieved.

But wouldn't the shock set at a lower setting be more beneficial to the performance and longevity of the shock? If I were to use the springs as mentioned to gain the height and match with an upgraded shock versus maxing out the shock body itself to provide the lift, wouldn't that be optimal?

Zoompastu

Reaction score
But wouldn't the shock set at a lower setting be more beneficial to the performance and longevity of the shock? If I were to use the springs as mentioned to gain the height and match with an upgraded shock versus maxing out the shock body itself to provide the lift, wouldn't that be optimal?
Good question.

The travel is the same. The off-road spring is longer therefore it must be perched lower on the shock body which is why it cannot be set in the sixth or seventh position.

The shock is designed to operate and travel a certain distance and as long as you are operating that shock within its designed parameters it will be fine. You’d really have to be doing some crazy high-speed off-road every day stuff to wear out the shocks regardless of where your spring perch is set.

Think of it this way, if an engine makes peak horsepower at 6000 RPM and is designed to operate at that engine speed then you can operate that motor safely between idle and 6000 RPM. If you’re shifting at 7000 RPM then you are adding unnecessary stress and taking it above what it was engineered to safely operate at.

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
Well said, and appreciate the thoughtful explanation. I'm wrapping my head around it all and trying to make the best decision possible for the truck and my uses for it. Learn a little bit more everyday, although the more I learn the harder the decision is to make.

justinbeez

Reaction score
You can run that tire size with the shocks and springs or the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. It is a little stuffed but doable. You definitely will not want to stack spacers on top. It would be pretty bad for the CV and Ball joint angle. Even the rough country 3.5 inch SST kit says not for off-road use. The CV angles are at Max. If a 4 inch is what you desire the BDS kit is great. If your truck is a 2020 you’ll have to wait a little bit. There is a change in the lower crossmember so the kit needed to change for the 2020 model.

Awesome, thanks for the response. Guys like you make forums helpful. I can read and browse forums all day but reading so many different setups I end up getting lost in numbers. I did see last night a thread that mentioned the Fabtech 3". Back around 5 to 10 years ago or so, Fabtech used to be the modern day Rough Country, or Readylift setups. However, I see that they are using DirtLogic coilovers which seem to be on par with that of Icon, based on what I've read. Although Icons stage 4 and 5 also seem appealing as well. Not sure if I would need the compression adjustment on the stage 5 though as Im not blowing through trails at high speeds.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Well said, and appreciate the thoughtful explanation. I'm wrapping my head around it all and trying to make the best decision possible for the truck and my uses for it. Learn a little bit more everyday, although the more I learn the harder the decision is to make.
Happy to help! There’s a lot of options out there. What is your main use for the truck and will you be doing any off-road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/